Spring? where is everyone? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring? where is everyone?

Green Ghost
03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Very quiet out there in Salar land...... Anyone getting cabin fever? Any Predictions for ice out on the mighty Miramichi ? (it's 30 days till spring fishing). Anyone create a new fly this winter? Where are Anne's "name the pool contests"? ! Maybe we are all working too hard due to global "conditions". Be well everyone, it won't be long now! :cool:

QuebecSporting
03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Bonjour Green Ghost,

Well, for me, these days, I am cross country sking along the St-Jean River each morning.
http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/fts.JPG

Okay then...I do have a question. :roll:
(A topic I read on another site)

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/jump.jpg

What are your thoughts about:

"Why fish jump?" -

" Will that jumper take your Fly?"

Ann

(is skiing over in your area?)

Green Ghost
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
The snow pack in Vermont is lower than last year at this time. But I am still skiing. That is a very nice photo along the St Jean.

I have heard many reasons for fish jumping. Females shaking up there eggs. Males angry and frustrated. Especially later in the season.

Fish on the move often jump And moving fish are usually not takers. However,

My experience is jumping fish are takers during the right conditions. I once hooked two that were fresh in from the ocean in the Fallls. They Lept into the pool, making their presence known, then the next thing they did was take the first fly that came by them. Fresh territorial fish!

Venture
03-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Its quite all right!

I think cabin fever is peaking right about now. Here on Long Island the Striper season should be starting in about a month or so and kick into high gear by mid May. Then its up to the Gaspe for fun and games.

Hmmm.....why do salmon jump? Probably to get a breath of fresh air. But the old timers tell me its to announce themselves. I would think it's because of their pent up energy.

Do they take? Most say no. Some say sometimes. I agree with the latter and with GG. I think I have hooked a jumper or two in my time.

Do rollers take? Some say yes and they are true takers. Some say sometimes. Here I also agree with the latter. I've taken a few rollers in my time.......and have been skunked doing so many other times...

Whether he is a jumper or a roller, one thing is for sure. Your odds vastly increase when your fly swings over a fish.

Thanks for keeping the board going!