Who are the leading online retailers? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Who are the leading online retailers?

BusinessStudent
02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
To the Fly Fishing forum community;

I am a business student at Arizona State University and am conducting some research for a project with the intent to identify the leading online retailers in Fly Fishing.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could help me answer any of the following questions:

1) Who are the leading retailers in the market by revenue (and estimated annual sales)?

2) Which retailers have the best customer service and are most loved by the community (are they the same as in the first question)?

3) What’s the total online market size in annual sales?

4) What is the size of this market (10k, 100k, 1m, 10m people)?

5) What’s the next hot product or event in this market?

Thank you for your assistance in helping me complete this project.

Kirk (StudentTalksBusiness)

flydoc
02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
What's everybody's favorite mystery meat in a can? You said it.....SPAM!!!!

And what's with the boxes at the end of each line in the post???? (well, nearly every line)

juro
02-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Kirk -

In my opinion, out of 5 questions only one might be directed toward the consumer side of the business which makes up most of this community... #2. Even still responses would be subjective at best and the latter half in parentheses dilutes that further.

Each year there is a trade show in Denver where the "business" side of the sport is discussed in detail. You should start your search for this kind of information by googling that and following the trail.

Good luck.

BusinessStudent
03-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. However, I don't think I was specific enough. I am looking for smaller (somewhere between $2M and $10M a year) niche online retailers in this space, not the huge multi-channel retailers like Cabelas or Orvis. Any thoughts?

My questions have been neither in mass or repetitive. Thanks.

juro
03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Actually, spam need not be en masse or repetitive. If you paint your message over a billboard in rush hour traffic you only make one change but have definitely spammed the commuters and the legitimate paying sponsors.

But that's neither here nor there...

I am looking for smaller (somewhere between $2M and $10M a year) niche online retailers in this space, not the huge multi-channel retailers like Cabelas or Orvis

Yes, we favor our paying sponsors because they are the lifelife for this site. Just look at the banners for more information.

BTW the Denver trade show advice does indeed apply to your target niche.