Harbor still hoppin'!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Harbor still hoppin'!!

marvin
10-03-2000, 12:38 PM
I launched out of Winthrop around 5:45 this morning, figuring that it might be the last time for the boat this season (my upcoming schedule is truly miserable). Saw tons of gulls flying past me headed inland as I hit the water, and guessed from the direction that they might be headed for the Faun bars, so I headed down the inside of Deer Island planning to loop around outside. Stopped short at the tip when I ran into a huge area of busting bass under screaming gulls. Action was pretty much nonstop until around 8, with most fish in the 26-28” range- and only 2 other boats around to share the fun. (I know, it isn't the same as a 40" off the lighthouse, but hey-)

It was great to be able to fish those rips without the stench that used to permeate this area. I don’t know what the long term effects of the outfall pipe will be for the bay, but I can sure tell you about the short term results in the harbor!!

After things slowed down there, I found the fish again at the south end of Spectacle, but they disappeared when the tide slacked. Decided that I really shouldn’t miss this meeting at work, and headed back in, only to find another cloud of gulls of the north side of the airport. Again, tons of busting fish! Finally dragged myself away, but a great way to spend the morning.

grego
10-03-2000, 12:45 PM
Marvin, Great Report, Congrats! I was just thinking about trying Cranes soon.

striblue
10-03-2000, 12:48 PM
Marvin, good report . don't worry about size because consistant action is just as good if not better. Besides 26 to 28 inches are not Schoolies as far as I am concerned. To bad your schedule sounds constricting going forward.

i'm so outta here
10-03-2000, 01:09 PM
Marvin - sweet! Glad you got one more trip in the boat. Hope you squeak another.

John - we are talking size of the <i>bass</i>, right? http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif I began this season thinking a 22" bass was all I would ever need to be happy. Oh, how things have changed....

jeffg
10-03-2000, 02:26 PM
Marvin,
Good deal. I hear you on the lack of smell over by the D.I. rip-- Definitely an improvement. I floated off the channel marker island next to Deer island on Sunday for a little while and pulled out some feisty fish with absolutely nothing showing on top. My girlfriend took her first major step in flyfishing by hooking up with a fish while stripping in a cast I made, but the hookset by hand freaked her out a little and she lost it (an A for effort though).

My recollection from the last two years is that even after the outer islands and Cohasset went dead, big schools of schoolies hung around in the Harbor channel almost until the end of October. Let's hope they stick around this year!

jeff