Maybe this explains some of the missing stripers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Maybe this explains some of the missing stripers

woodtac
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
It looks as if many of the stripers that we should be seeing in New England are not even being allowed to get out of the Chesapeake.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-te.sp.stripedbass31jan31,0,2826309.story?page=1

Paxton
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
That's a disturbing article!!! $ at all costs seems to be the popular theme on a # of issues we are experiencing.
Ron

flydoc
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Just one more reason to make it a protected gamefish and ban all commercial harvesting/sales.
Flydoc

bostoned
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
That just makes ya want to puke. I don't think I will ever understand the way these people rationalize poaching, especially on this scale.

highway61
02-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I fear that this is just the tip of the iceberg. There is not enough enforcement to prevent others from others doing the same. There is a lot of money to be made. I often wonder how many guys who own their own boats sell some of their striper catch to supplement their fuel costs or just to make an extra buck.

Steve

Gseries69
02-17-2009, 09:19 AM
What is more disturbing is that the ASMFC does not include illegal or bycatch in their MSY calculation. That means we could be or have been overharvesting stripers for years. The system does not work.

flydoc
02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
That's why commercial sale of stripers needs to be banned. If it were illegal for fish shops, supermarkets, and restaurants to possess and sell stripers, the market for the poachers would largely dry up. Admittedly, there still might be a "black market", but the risks would hopefully outweigh the benefits for most potential poachers.:tsk_tsk: