Guidance please? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Guidance please?

broche
08-18-2000, 10:38 AM
Hello fly-people!

I may be heading back home for the weekend(Newburyport area) and would like some guidance if possible. How is Joppa fishing these days? Is the point crouded on the weekends this time of year? Any suggestions where I may be able to find fish on Saturday? I would appreciate any information you can provide - thank you in advance.

broche

doug
08-18-2000, 12:33 PM
broche,

Joppa, as well as the surrounding area, is going to be busy this weekend....some 1st Annual striper tournament of some sort. Probably going to be a mob scene.

To answer your question...it's been mostly small fish around Joppa. Usually is this time of year.

One of the other boards has some "up to date" Joppa reports.

Doug B.

juro
08-18-2000, 01:17 PM
I hear there are plenty of schoolies with occasional frenzies and a big fish once in a while. You might try asking Bob Desplaines over at Blue Northern (www.bluenorthern.com). The area is Sully's home waters, and if Terry gets back from harrassing the bronzebacks he plays up there a lot too. Bill Downing probably has a recent report as well, on anyplace in New England for that matter http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Most years I fish the whole North shore hard including NH and sometimes ME - but this year I hit the early season rush of shorts up to 28" on the bottom of the tide at the mouth and then proceeded to focus on cows around Chatham and Monomoy. Frankly, the way the water currents have held the fish on Chatham this year I haven't looked back since.

With the whole refuge open to access now, I would recommend fishing around Sandy Pt, Sunset Beach, the rocks and the oceanfront for some quality fishing. There will be plenty of schoolies and I'll bet a few big bass when the bait is in the Ipswich mouth rips.

If you have a skiff, I would recommend Hampton's sandy shoals and tidal channels on moving tides - the area gets a lot more fish than people give it credit for and they tend to hang in the extremities of the tributaries making for some real estuary style flyfishing with some nice big fish spending the summer months.

Good luck!

ssully
08-18-2000, 01:37 PM
I'm not going near the place this weekend. Tournament madness.