GregO - two hander details... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: GregO - two hander details...

juro
07-31-2000, 10:16 AM
Greg -

When you said 9' - 15', did you mean 9' two-handers?

- J

grego
07-31-2000, 11:32 AM
Yes,
that's what I saw, but I just checked there web-site & they are not listed. The web-site had 14' & 15', but I swear I saw 9' & 10' rods at the outlet & at the main store. I'm going to go back to the web-site & see if I can get a phone number for the Freeport stores, just to make sure I'm not on drugs!

grego
07-31-2000, 11:47 AM
O.K.

I just called. Here's what they have now (they had more yesterday). At the outlet store: (1) 9' 2-pc 11-wgt & (1) 9' 2-pc 12-wgt. At the main store (1) 14' 8/9-wgt & (1) 15' 10/11-wgt. the respective phone numbers are (207) 865-4682 & 1-800-221-4221. GregO.

tomd
07-31-2000, 12:29 PM
Juro(or others with experience)

What is your opinion? never done the 2 handed thing, but would like to(if these sound like the right stuff), for when the elbow and shouldewr are acting up. what weight would you recommend? you can email me direct if you'd like. thanks, Tom D dunlap4u@bellatlantic.net

grego
07-31-2000, 03:45 PM
Tom,
Check the Archieves, there was MUCH discussion on this topic in the pre-season. That's why I posted about it! GregO.

juro
07-31-2000, 06:10 PM
Also, my hope is by the time the Outer Beaches Clave is called the two-handed rods will be finished in final hardware and handle configuration. The 8wt 12' 4" two-handed Sage (which casts an 11wt easily) is currently wrapped with cork tape and the reel attached with electrical tape. This allowed me to move it around on the handle to find the right spot for the seat. It is a lot different than the store boughts - the seat location that is. There is good reason for it, in fact there is precedence for this in experiments by two-handed afficionados out west as well as in Europe.

One we 'modified' casts a 12wt line, the whole line, without much effort - when you hit the stroke just right. I can't wait until these rods get to their finished state.

(I wouldn't buy a long Spey rod if I were you - wrong tool for the job. Great out west but not in the surf. They will definitely help with elbow / shoulder and wrist ailments)

Nick
08-01-2000, 08:57 AM
Juro,
How can I sign up for the testing clave this fall. I would love to try out some of these new designs. The thought of throwing a whole fly line is amazing to me.

marvin
08-01-2000, 05:01 PM
Juro,

Can you provide a little more info regarding your thinking on reel placement? I'm about to start wrapping a blank, and wanted some additional input before doing something rash (like epoxying a reel seat into place, for example http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Happy.gif)

TIA

tomd
08-02-2000, 12:41 PM
ok, I'll fess up!!! in my usual way, I went off half cocked and ordered the 15' 3pc 10/11 wt rod from bean. By the time I saw your post Juro it was too late to stop the Bean shipping machine. I got it just now, and for a laugh I put a 10 wt int on it. I may not know how to cast 2 handed right, but man!!! it cranks the line out there! so my question is, why did you think this rod is a bad choice in the salt? I am a newbie on 2-handed or spey rods( and to be honest couldn't figure out how to look up the previous discussions. thanks, Tom D

juro
08-02-2000, 01:44 PM
Tom - the little magnifying glass does a search. Also, the arrow goes back thru old post pages.

juro
08-07-2000, 08:49 PM
To answer your question, it's not a *bad* rod for the surf. I used a 15 ft 10wt, a 14ft 9wt, and a 15ft 8/9 wt when I first brought those rods out from steelhead country and it was useful for moving current, big surf, heavy lines and BIG flies.

The issue is that most SW conditions are not conducive to really long rods because we are stripping in lots of line often right to the end of the line. It's often windy and weeds get on the fly. Sometimes we are standing in a spot where it's not easy to reach the fish for release. The boats we fish from are not much longer than 15' most of the time.

I find that the two-hand design is ideal for greater line and fly casting ability and improves the ease of fighting large fish. This should not come at the loss of basic conveniences like the ones implied are missing above.

As I have always maintained, the ideal two-handed rod is short enough to feel similar to a single hander when you want it to - and long enough on the back end to allow all-day casting of 11, 12 or even more grain weights over the pounding surfline.

That's why Smitty and I are experimenting with European rod blanks designed for two-handed use. This fall, we hope to have a selection ready for the Outer Beach clave - for anyone interested to try.

Bring your rocket launcher!

tomd
08-09-2000, 08:55 PM
Juro, I definately need to modify the rod somewhat. the snakes are big enough but the stripping guides are smallish... I have reel seats and guides, maybe I'll mock something up and play a bit. if it works good holding the reel at 12-13 ft I could always dremmel off the extra! in fact, I think I may be on to something. look out!!!, mayhem in the Dunlap household...lol thanks for the reply, I know you're busy. Tom D

juro
08-10-2000, 06:28 AM
Tom -

It pays to be very cautious when modifying these rods. Our 'first cut' led to surprising results. The boyz in Bainbridge (Seattle) put some thought into the tapers of Sage blanks and when we played around we found out the effect was pretty radical.

We ended up swapping one of the big rods (10wt) for a medium wt (8/9wt) because the medium could handle 12wt intermediates with relative ease. I think 11wt is the right line to be truthful.

Some say balance the reduction from both ends, but with today's compound tapers I don't know if that's a good rule of thumb either.

I'd suggest talking to Aubert Smith (Smitty) of the Rod Builder's Workshop. Even those who have designed tapers for commercial rods have told me the process is "hit or miss".

Good luck!

tomd
08-10-2000, 10:16 PM
Thanks Juro