Any reviews on G Loomis' Current Reels? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any reviews on G Loomis' Current Reels?

flightcontrol
01-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I am about to purchase G Loomis' Streamdance GLX (5wt) rod and wanted to put their 5-6 wt. Current Reel with it but I can't find a review out there anywhere for this reel. I'm new to this form, and to fly fishing for that matter but I would sure appreciate some help.

Kind regards,
Danny

Warren
01-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Hello Danny, I cannot help you on your reel question as this is the first I have heard of this model. However I can welcome you to the forum; Welcome Danny :D
I hope someone can come along & help you out. I can say this about 5 -6 wt reels, typically fish you would go after with a rod that size do not need a real fancy drag set up or an expensive reel. I find as long as it holds enough line & backing and I can use my palm if needed to apply some drag it will be OK. If the loomis reel looks to be of quality build with good workmanship it should serve you just fine.

flightcontrol
01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Warren,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. I'm hooked on fly fishing and looking forward to learning as much as possible before my big trip in May. Just like taking up golf as a child, I look forward to doing this the rest of my life.

Kind regards,
Danny

flightcontrol
02-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Is it safe to say that nobody on this forum has bought, used or knows someone who has used a G loomis current reel..? I emailed the company and their only reply to this question was to copy and paste the website ad for the reel. I'm starting to wonder if anyone at G Loomis has used this reel... I did find a video of Mr. Loomis standing in a stream with a fly rod and what appeared to be a "current reel" on it... But,, he never made any cast,, he just stood there and talked to the camera... Was he afraid to cast for fear of the reel coming apart and falling into the water??? Strange indeed.....

:confused:

fishordie
02-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I've seen it and played with it at a shop in Japan last year. It's actually a very nicely built reel. Shimano makes great bait casting and spinning reels for small to medium games. This one is no exception. They have put the drag system used in their high-end spinning reel. Great reels for the money. I wouldn't buy one for serious saltwater use, though. I hear from friends in Japan that these reels have been very popular there since their introduction last year.

Hope this will help.

ronnie z
02-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I am about to purchase G Loomis' Streamdance GLX (5wt) rod and wanted to put their 5-6 wt. Current Reel with it but I can't find a review out there anywhere for this reel. I'm new to this form, and to fly fishing for that matter but I would sure appreciate some help.

Kind regards,
DannyAre you talking about the reel made by cortland?Current must be popular name.:confused:

ronnie z
02-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Iknow cortland also makes a reel,called current.