Somerset Show, its the economy... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Somerset Show, its the economy...

jimS
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
The fly show at Somerset was packed with bargain seekers and they were rewarded. Vendors were unloading last year's merchandise with deep discounts. A couple of vendors were discounting Abel reels at a 20 per cent discount.

Most of the usual vendors were there, and the presentations that I viewed were very good, e.g. Tom Gilmore on tuna. Nick Curcione did an excellent demo on 2-hand casting, and spent time with "hands-on" for each participant in the small crowd. In fact, out of the dozen or so that participated on Saturday, everyone did at least one 135-foot overhead cast. Brilliant!

Somerset is alive and well, in spite of the economy.

Mike Oliver
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Jim,

That is really good to know amidst all the doom and ruddy gloom pushed by our media over here.
Call me daft but I am close to starting a bew business venture with a friend. If we can make it now just think how good it might be when this situation starts to go the other way. Bumpy ride a coming. You may find me in the extra poor house but smiling through trying.

Cape Cod 2010 I think Jim. Have to live on the memories you gave me on that great day marching to near death on Monomoy until then.

Mike

jimS
01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey Mike, glad to see you have the "stiff upper lip" approach to this global crisis. We look forward to hearing about your business venture, and wish you all the best. Will it be a lager or ale? You've got to include SKISHING somewhere in the brand.

Adrian
01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Good to hear Jim

Looking forward to getting back to the Cape - just a "few" weeks now :)

Mike Oliver
01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Jim, Hi,

I can't quite figure how to include "skishing" as the business venture is to do with the security business.

It has taken nearly 6 months to find the so called British Stiff upper lip. I have been down to where no one wants to go to. But the light at the tunnels end is just starting to break through.

Another 6 weeks and the Trout season opens up over here. I can't wait cold as it will be, but the Irish Kelly Kelly will come along and brew the most amazing tea imaginable. Wish you could share this early season lake Trout fishing with us, using tiny Buzzers on a floater. very intense and demanding fishing but very satifying.

Mike

Guernseybass
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
lots of bargains on Ebay too Jim.

in the last two weeks $230 has got me a 7wt saltwater Echo rod, two Rio Outbound flylines and a pair of Simms flats sneakers - total list price would have been $400+ ;)

Mark

tight-lines
01-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Jim, it was great to see you and Chris at the show, wish I had some more time to hang out with the two of you. Will hopefully catch up with you at the Squire.
I too thought ther were some bargains to be had, it was good to see some of the smaller fly shops represented as well. It seems most have the same approach, keep inventory low some cash on hand and hope for the best.