Best 12 Weight Fly Reel for surf fishing for < $350? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Best 12 Weight Fly Reel for surf fishing for < $350?

NausetDog
01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi All,

Looking for your advice.

I just bought a 9' 12 weight rod as a cannon for heavy duty surf fishing throwing large flies into the wind. Looking for advice on a good reel w/ dependable drag, preferably sealed so it will stand up to the surf & sand mix, and also let me switch spools easily.

Primary use will be in the Northeast, but I also want a good drag for the occasional Tarpon & lighter Tuna fishing.

I just bought an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game LA VI on clearance but found it's not the latest version for which they beefed up the drag tension. The drag on this LA VI seems really light so I may send it back. I'm considering buying an Orvis V02 VI (new but 1 or 2 years old) but understand it's not a sealed drag so I don't know how it would stand up to the surf & sand.

My cost on the Orvis VO2 V1 would be approx $220 w/ extra spool at $100. Any recommendations for better reels either new or great condition used that I could get for up to $350 or so?

vtloon
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
You've got a bit of an apples and oranges question/spec here. The Northeast surf...lots of candidates. But, if the Tarpon and "Light " Tuna are 40# fish or better, then you'll need a reel with a drag that can handle of lot of heat and with a large backing capacity. Lot of good reels like that, but not under $350 (even used). The only possibility that comes to my mind might be a Hayden II.