Louisiana Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Louisiana Report

petevicar
01-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi Everyone.
I have just come back from a few days fishing in Louisiana for redfish. I am posting it here in the Bonefish section as I always considered the redfish as a sort of tropical fish. I am not so sure now.

I stayed in New Orleans and the fishing was in an area of the Marsh that was an hour's drive south.
The weather was cold (frost at night) and on a couple of days blowing 20-25. A couple of cold fronts came through when I was there.
Needless to say the fishing was difficult.
On one occasion we could not get very far into the marsh as the wind was too strong and could only fish for smaller fish in some channels. On another day we could get to the larger fish but the water was so cold that they were not eating and those that took were such weak takes that after a short fight came off.
However it is a fantastic fishery with a lot of fish and on the one day when the weather was not too cold I caught a lot of fish including a few larger ones.
Even on this day you can see that I am wearing a lot of clothing.

Here's a few pics:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/red15w.jpg
15lbs of redfish and biggest until:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/red28w.jpg
28lbs

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/red22w.jpg

22lbs.

I can recommend this fishery to everyone.

Pete

Eric
01-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Magnificent fish & great photos.

What flies, strategies and techniques did you use to catch these?

Great post

Cheers,

Eric

FLGator
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Excellent adventure! Great pictures too!

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Chris

jimS
01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Pete, beautiful! Looks like a good omen for 2009. Will we see you on the Cape for the spring clave?

Vince
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
beauties Pete!!

petevicar
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Eric
The fish were caught on the outside edge of the marsh.
It was all sight fishing using a size 1/0 crab pattern.

Jim
I may come to the Spring Clave but I need better weather and better fishing than last year.

There is one thing that I forgot, there is a great bar that frequented in the Warehouse district of New Orleans with a very similar atmosphere to the Squire, it's called Lucy's.:lildevl:

Pete

Adrian
01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Excellent!

juro
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Wow Peter - looks like you got off the schneide in a big way! Great photos, I'm gonna have to give that a try.

Eric
01-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey, Juro,

"Schniede"? What gives?

German for "edge" (and other things)?

Sprechen wir Deutsch hier?

Eric

petevicar
01-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Hey Eric
Ich kann auch etwas Deutsch sprechen vieleicht sollte ich euch ein paar Stunden geben.:hihi:
Schöne Grüsse aus Deutschland.:)

Pete

Dble Haul
01-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Those are some beautiful fish, Pete. Well done given the conditions.

tight-lines
01-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Very Nice Pete! Looks like great fun!
haven't been online for a while , glad to see you are still getting out and about.
;-P