1day in Ireland [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 1day in Ireland

blindcurvw
01-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I'll be spending a few days in Dublin as part of a longer trip to London for a wedding. Really would love to get a day of salmon fishing in, if arrangements can be made.

Sounds like there rivers with salmon present, including some fresh runs, in August depending on water levels and other local factors. Since logistics will be on a tight schedule I'll need something in driving shot of Dublin.

Anyone experienced w/ transportation and fishing in 1-2hr range of Dublin? Spending a week would be ideal but this one day oppt'y might be my only chance to fish Ireland.

Is DIY a functional option (car rental, short distance to free access river, decent chance at fish)?
How hard is it to retain a guide/ghillie for a day?
Can licenses be purchased ahead of the trip?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. From what I've read in books and online the River Fane might be an option. But, I'm sure I've only scratched the surface of possibilities.

petevicar
01-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey blindcurvw

Ireland is not such a large country. You can drive from Dublin to the West Coast in about 3 hours.
The best salmon rivers are on the West Coast. I have fished a number of them. You could also try the Blackwater on the South Coast, which flows into the sea near Cork.

Unfortunately the East Coast rivers are not that productive.
August is also usually a time of low water generally and the fish are not moving.
My best advice would be not to definitely book anything but work out 2 or 3 options and when it gets closer to the dates that you are there fix it all up.

If you like I can give you further info but due to the Web Site rules I need to do it through a PM.

Pete