Favorite winter escapes and why [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Favorite winter escapes and why

juro
12-02-2008, 10:40 AM
It's that time of year when thoughts of turquoise waters and palm trees offer a reprieve from the bitter and nasty northern winter, unless of course you're one of our southern hemisphere anglers.

Personally I've been really locked into Acklins in the Bahamas recently, hard not to - with it's pure and pristine rugged beauty, friendly people and expansive flats. Among the many dimensions of this place I enjoyed exploring turn of the century ruins on a long hike to a bonefisher's paradise, among many other things. It requires a flight to Nassau, which is a fun part of the experience to rendezvous at the fisherman's pier for dinner before the morning hop to the out islands as a group. If you haven't tried Acklins, you should.

I am also going for the slam at Belize soon. I realize the bones aren't the largest on average but there are larger singles and tarpon, permit in one locale - sometimes on the same flat. Accommodations are comfortable and we'll be working on some group trips which offer special rates for Forum members. More details to come shortly.

Then of course there is always the 'on the fringe' DIY exploration, which is not for the faint of heart or those used to creature comforts. I have a location in mind. The trade off for dirt cheapness and an intense sense of adventure is spartan accommodation and risk. I love that.

Anyway - please share your winter destinations for the collective knowledge of the group.

josko
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm on Andros almost more than I'd like this winter and woiuld be glad to help out with logistics, questions and such.

Added 12/3: Guys, Andros bonefish lodges are empty, empty, empty and with almost no bookings for the spring. Most are shut down, but ready to reopen if a sport shows up. My guess is you could 'name your price' if showing up with a large group. Atlantis resorts in Nassau just laid off 2500 employees - it's a good indication of how tourism is going down here.

Vince
12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Turneffe flats, Belize in January for a few days; Ragged island Bahamas for two weeks in February; Acklins for a week in March; Eleuthera for two weeks in April:
getting cold here in buffalo--can't wait.

JJones
12-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Juro,
Good morning!
When are you going to Acklins or any other DIY trips to the Carribean? Is it open to other flyfishing adventurers? I would be very interested in going!

juro
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Adventures are in planning phase - as long as you can squeeze water from a cactus, milk a goat, build a lean-to from sticks and tie the Petersen's spawning shrimp you're welcome on my deserted isle any day ;) I'll keep you in the loop.

Cattaraugus Creek Outfitters runs several trips to the tropics each winter. There may be a spot or two left, PM VINCE (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/private.php?do=newpm&userid=3100) for details.

Also Belize Fly Zone, our newest sponsor, has extended a special offer to forum members. I'm firming up plans for an exploratory trip with Mark Branle - username BLINDCAST (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/private.php?do=newpm&userid=16437)

Our fabulous friend Felton is nearing completion of his new place in the untapped south end of Acklins which I can not wait to visit! He's an active member so just PM ACKLINSBOY (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/private.php?do=newpm&userid=3969) for direct correspondence.

JJones
12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty handy, the milking a goat would be a new one! Keep me posted.

juro
12-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah they'll laugh at you if you pick an ugly one :lildevl:

JJones
12-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I'd laugh at me too!!!

josko
12-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Have you guys thought about a ~week-long kayak camping trip?

Trevor B
12-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Just leaving today for a week in Cuba, DIY and all on my lonesome. If I can find fish then fine, if not it will be Cuban cigars and Rum ( scotch if I can find it )
That will finish off a great year that included Christmas Island, Mexico (Holbox) and a weeks Bass fishing.
I'm looking forward to a trip to Ascension Bay in May to hook up with a couple of the super guys I fished with in Mexico this year, it was a great year, lets all hope next year will be just a s good for everyone.
All the best to all
Trev

FLGator
12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Josko,
THAT sounds like a great adventure!

Dave17
12-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Its sad to say that for the first time in five years Acklins may not be in the cards this year. There seem to be too many obstacles at the present time. I need some sun, warm water and silver on the flats.

If anyone is up for a long weekend excursion I would probably be ready to pull the trigger on a moments notice.

Josko, camping on Andros? Juro Belize or a special little corner on Google Earth?

Lets get the down-payments down and the flights booked while the Dow is at 8500. I have to keep it on the cheap as I'm at the center of this crisis but I need to get away from 9" trout. Its been far too long since I've seen my backing.

Any takers?

wrke
12-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Likewise, Dave . . . it looks like Acklins is out this year . . . but it's likely that I'll trade that for a week on the North Umpqua for the winter-run fish. And we'll probably still do the Abacos with my wife. But I'll miss Acklins.

Bill

petevicar
12-06-2008, 05:18 AM
Hi Dave

I'm in just say when and where.

Pete

jimS
12-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Time to rediscover my home waters. With the market in the toilet, it doeesn't make sense for me to spend 50 cents on the dollar for faraway fishing destinations.

Frogfish
12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
SE Florida...Sailfish on the fly.

Next year I'll be doing a DIY over on N'ge (New Caledonia) with an Aussie friend of mine for monsterous GTs. That'll be the trip of a lifetime.

Vince
12-07-2008, 07:53 AM
I just got a report from four of my guys who are fishing on Acklins. They arrived yesterday am, and got into some bones that afternoon, and also cast to a large permit! Man I wish I was there right now.
They did note that the mosquitos are doing well!

if they e-mail me any more reports I'll pass them on. nothing like first hand reports to stoke the fires!

petevicar
12-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I am seriously thinking about going down to New Orleans in January.

It is not going to be particularly warm but there will be giant redfish up to 30lbs + and the night life could be interesting.

Pete

Dave17
12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Pete that's a forty five minute flight for me. You name the dates and I'm there. It's an embarrassment that I haven't explored fishing there yet.

juro
12-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Sounds like a good birthday present to myself. I'm in. :smokin:

josko
12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Where do you guys fish near New Orleans? I have work that takes me to Slidell/Stennis frequently and might make time to join y'all if you are somewhere nearby.

juro
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Josko -

From what I can see, that seems to be well within striking distance for chasing reds. My gut tells me the honeycomb structures to the south/southwest of N'awleans is the mecca, and of course we must consider Pete's whims in the nightlife category :lildevl:

I have some feelers out and waiting for responses and it would be great to have the four of us as an exploratory team down there.

petevicar
12-10-2008, 10:23 AM
From what I understand, the best fishing is in the Marshes about an hour's drive from New Orleans.
It is not possible to fish without a boat/guide.

I know someone who is working on his captain's license at the moment so is not a fully qualified guide however he is willing to take me out fishing and show me the evil city of New Orleans.:lildevl:
I am not sure how this will work out with a group of people but I can check it out.

I am pretty flexible as far as dates are concerned but it would be good for me to be at home on Jan 26 for my daughter's birthday.

Pete

juro
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
OK I might sit this one out and save my air miles for location X later in the winter when I really need to get out of Dodge in a bad way (February).

Eric
12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Being a Steelheader first and foremost, I was a little perplexed by this thread thinking that "why would I want to leave my home rivers now that the winter run has started?"; but, then again, I'm going to Sanibel/Captive in April (if that counts) and would dearly love to fish Great Exuma again, should the opportunity ever arise.

I wish I could fish more. Too many effing distractions and too little money!!!!!

Cheers,

Eric

arubaman
12-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Going home for christmas next week and this time better prepared then ever before...
Now I can just hope that there will be fish cruising around, because that still is an uncertain factor...
keep you guys posted.

Frogfish
12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Venica LA is a hotspot for tuna, the offshore rigs have monstrous yellowfin! Always a possibility if you go to NO.

Aitutakiflyfish
12-14-2008, 02:25 PM
After livng on the Oregon Coast and seeing nothing but cold wet grey skies all winter I would usually jump on a jet and come to Aitutaki in the Cook Islands for the entire winter. The fly fishing is excellent and there is no competition on the flats. I fish almost daily for bonefish and big trevally. With the NZ dollar worth
1/2 what the US dollar is you get more for your money and vacation time. After a few years of doing the trip every year I decided I liked it here better than the Pacific NW so I now live here full time and don't worry about winters anymore. A cold winter's day now is when it gets down to the low 70's in June, the start or our winter. Just another shorts, tee shirt and sandals day.

doctorsteve
12-19-2008, 09:46 AM
After livng on the Oregon Coast and seeing nothing but cold wet grey skies all winter I would usually jump on a jet and come to Aitutaki in the Cook Islands for the entire winter. The fly fishing is excellent and there is no competition on the flats. I fish almost daily for bonefish and big trevally. With the NZ dollar worth
1/2 what the US dollar is you get more for your money and vacation time. After a few years of doing the trip every year I decided I liked it here better than the Pacific NW so I now live here full time and don't worry about winters anymore. A cold winter's day now is when it gets down to the low 70's in June, the start or our winter. Just another shorts, tee shirt and sandals day.

Save me a hut over there. When my kids are done with college, I'll be right there with you. So I'll see you in 20 years. Man, I envy you...

JWW
12-26-2008, 08:49 AM
This year We are off to Xcalak Mexico. I will post some pics and hopefully a video of the trip when we are back.
Juno- look into Millers Landing in Placencia if you are going to Belize. We had a great trip there a few years ago. Nice accomodations. I think the cost was 70$ per night. order some Banana pancakes for breakfast if you go.

Adrian
12-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Aitutaki

A belated welcome!

I can't believe the snow-bound folks here in the US NE haven't jumped all over this. :smokin:

Please tell us more about your adventures in the Cook Islands.

JJones
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Any new plans for Acklins??? I've been away for a while.
A Happy & Healthy New Year to all!!!!!

BigDave
01-06-2009, 02:44 PM
For all you monster redfish hunters:

I saw an episode of "Dollar Wise Fly" on Versus last weekend where Conway Bowman poles to, sight casts to and lands a 38# redfish in LA. Oh yeah, he does all of this from a kayak, without a guide. I am not a big fan of FF 'celebrities' and other TV goons but have to admit this is some pretty impressive stuff. It's currently 'on demand' in the Boston area if you have Comcast - check it out.

Smcdermott
01-06-2009, 04:08 PM
For all you monster redfish hunters:

I saw an episode of "Dollar Wise Fly" on Versus last weekend where Conway Bowman poles to, sight casts to and lands a 38# redfish in LA. Oh yeah, he does all of this from a kayak, without a guide. I am not a big fan of FF 'celebrities' and other TV goons but have to admit this is some pretty impressive stuff. It's currently 'on demand' in the Boston area if you have Comcast - check it out.

Thats a great show. In another episode he takes a small center out of San Diego for Makos on the fly.

jfbasser
01-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Thats a great show. In another episode he takes a small center out of San Diego for Makos on the fly.

Check it out closely. I believe he hooks that fish with a left-handed retrieve and lands it with a right-handed retrieve. I guess I have seen too many of these shows made...:biggrin:

blindcast
01-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, looks like there is potential for a group trip here. As a sponsor of the forum, I would love to put a super package for its members. If we could scratch together 4-6 anglers, I could probably do better than the $1995 trip we are currently advertising......

Bahamas is Bonefish paradise, but if you are looking to up the game and look for Permit, Tarpon and Snook, there is no better place than Belize. Recently the Belize government has recognized the need to protect these species and has pushed legislation to make it illegal to harvest Bones, Permit, Tarpon. This applies to not only commercial fisherman, but recreational fisherman as well. This will make an already dynamic fishery even better. Other areas of the world have had similar laws pass and literally saw fish populations explode in just a few years. Thank you to Craig Hayes of Turneffe Island Lodge in being instrumental in this effort.

Guys, if you are serious about getting into my outfit, feel free to PM or email me directly.

Cheers - Mark Branle
Owner, Belize Fly Outfitters and Lodge