Spring Clave '09 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Clave '09

Dave17
12-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I know it's really, really early. I have a couple of guys that may attend but need to book way out. Do we have any ideas as to which weekend it will be?

juro
12-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Dave -

I'm going to propose May 30/31 weekend. Moon tides fall right on Memorial Day weekend which will put most participants out of commission, and earlier would be potentially be less productive than later if it's a cold spring, the extra time will also put more action on the bayside if migration is lack luster on the elbow... so the weekend after MD is the right choice provided we book accommodations early enough. So in that sense it's not too early.

Guernseybass
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
May 30/31 works for me. its a shame the week before has the best tides, but it happens.

hopefully it will be warm and the fish will co-operate :chuckle:

cheers

Mark

vtloon
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
That should be good timing if we can get the usual pre-season rates.

Mark, nice bit of thievery on that RPL!

Adrian
12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Excellent! :smokin:

Guernseybass
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Mark, nice bit of thievery on that RPL!

Yup, a Sage 11wt for $110 can't be beat :hihi:

I can't wait til spring to throw some big phleyes at night.;)

kennebecfly
12-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Dave, I'm usally the first (earliest) to ask for the date I also have to plan my vacations and time off wicked early, I'm sure the bro and I will be making the clave.

Greg Pavlov
12-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Dave -

I'm going to propose May 30/31 weekend. Moon tides fall right on Memorial Day weekend which will put most participants out of commission, ......

Juro, what do you mean by "put most participants out of commission?"

Greg.

FredA
12-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Juro, what do you mean by "put most participants out of commission?"

Memorial day weekend is typically a "family weekend" and many would not be able to attend the clave.

Greg Pavlov
12-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Memorial day weekend is typically a "family weekend" and many would not be able to attend the clave.
Thanks (I shoulda known that...)

gunner
12-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Is this now a "for sure" date so I can start working on booking a room and get it in my calendar?

Juro, or anybody else, have you called about seeing if we can get a cheaper rate?

Joe

juro
01-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Since we're on the $$$ side of Memorial Day this might take a special phone call. I'll drop them a line since I am the clavemeister for the spring clave.

stay tuned

rooster
01-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Guys
Finally getting some pc time. Stuck in O'hare...., again!! Headed to CA for the week.
The 5/30 and 5/31 dates are great. Expect the usual "CA/NC Crew".
I'll tell Walt the dates. It should be great and all lacrosse coaching should be over by then!
Things are good in NC. I got married (re-) in November.
I had a good bowseason down here.
Fishing crews should be at the house from about mid-May thru Mid/end of June, so we hope to see some of you folks in W. Dennis.
I look forward to this year's clave.
Cheers
DK:chuckle:

Adrian
01-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Roo-stahhh!!!

Good to hear from you Dennis.:D

Will you have access to a yak by any chance?

Think "worm-hatch" :smokin:

rooster
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Adrian
Yes, broke down last June and got the yak.
Lotsa fun
See you in May
DK

Chris
01-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Has anyone spoken with Matt at the Stone Horse about rates yet? Will he be able to offer the offseason deal for us?

juro
01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
They are closed for winter, taking calls Feb 1st.

flydoc
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm assuming there's going to be a group meeting at the ditch on Day 1 of the Clave, as there's been in previous years?
Flydoc

P.S. Is it a bit too obvious I'm looking for an excuse to buy a 9/10 wt Spey rod?:D

bostoned
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I have been watching you guys do these trips for the last 2 years and wanting to get involved. Are you fellas open to people making a day trip down to fish with you?

I would really like to stop by and get in on the action but I could only get away with a day trip. With a 1 year old it would be hard for me to get away for a couple days in a row.

jimS
02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Day trips are fine for the clave, but the crown jewel is Juro's feast in the evening accompanied by your beverage of choice. The comraderie at this event is second-to-none. Unless you stay over, you may need a designated driver or taxi to get home.:Eyecrazy:

flydoc
02-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Unless you stay over, you may need a designated driver or taxi to get home.:Eyecrazy:
If you share a cab with Sean R and Dave17, just make sure you can carry a tune:hihi:

fliboy
02-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Been out of "the loop" for a bit - been dealing with family stuff. I really need to get back in "the loop", so hopefully can make this clave. Think I got out twice last year.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Did get to Puerto Rico this year and got hooked up with a 50 lb. Tarpon and a whole bunch of 4-5 lb. Jack Crevalles on a fly rod - what a blast. Two schools of Tarpon about 200-250 strong. So maybe this made up for what I didn't get to do last season. ;)

PopnesetBay
02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Has anyone heard from Stone Horse about room availability and rates (special for clave or not)? With this one being planned for after Memorial Day there may be some need for some prior agreements. Just my .02, and that is probably overvalued!

juro
02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
After several attempts to reach Stone Horse earlier in the season, I think the general assumption is that post-Memorial Day availability will be tough at special rates.

Many of us have found short-term rental cottages to split between members which brings the cost down to (or below) those we normally see before Memorial Day in hotels.

If anyone is interested in a cottage share, please reply to this post and let us know and we can share the intel.

vtloon
02-27-2009, 06:09 PM
A week or more ago I tried phoning (no answer), then sent an e-mail to Stone Horse re' a specific room. So far no response (and no phone answer today).
I'm not sure the Stone Horse is a dead horse, though. Given the effect the current economy is having on tourism, good deals on that weekend might well be possible. As a semi-retired old fart, I have some time available to chase this. If I am successful in postponing my March shoulder surgery until November, I would be willing (If it would help) to take the lead in organizing this year's Clave.

PopnesetBay
02-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey, VTL, that is a great offer! When will you know about that "shoulder stuff" and the scheduled date? It is unfortunate that there seems to be a migration away from the Stone Horse as the cook-out and fish-tales seem to be as much of the 'clave' as was the fishing.
If you could keep trying to contact Stone Horse and let everyone know when they are there then we could plan forward.

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

vtloon
02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
I'll know about the shoulder dates after a 10 Mar meeting with the Doc.

My offer is just that and only that; I don't want to get in the way of Juro's efforts, so I'm offering to help.

PopnesetBay
02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Fair enough. I was not making any intimation or suggestion that was anything but intended help for the "clave master". Sorry it worded so that it could be misinterpreted.
I'm outta heah!!!
Pete Readel

Dave17
02-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Pete,

Don't worry about the festivities. You can't hold me to this, but Bill Kessler, Pete V, Juro and myself have a great place in Chatham with a deck. I would imagine we could do the festivities there if we need to. There's no way we would have a clave withouth the big dinner.

We'll figure it out and keep everybody posted.

juro
03-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Our cottage is secured for the 4 days/3 nights of clave weekend. I specifically chose that place because it had the huge deck. It's also steps from the CAC. Maybe we can make it a block party :)

I am starting to get concerned about Matt over at the Stone Horse. I'll stop in next time I pass by.

BTW - no interference perceived from your help, this has always been a community effort. To be clear, since the motel arrangements seem to be unavailable this year we can either (a) take chances on non-avail when the time arrives or (b) make other plans that we can rely on like shared cottage rentals.

Shared cottage rentals are still widely available, economical, and offer great amenities like decks and barbeques. They lack the central gathering and collaborating point but with all of our attempts to make contact and spring right around the corner there's not much choice.

If you feel more comfortable with a secured lodging situation and want to do a share situation for the spring clave this forum is the best place to do it so take advantage.

This year we'll add a reception-type gathering on Friday in addition to Sat night barbeque. This will help make up for the possible lack of a single lodging / collaboration point. You can exchange contact info, flies, ideas and plans there.

Sat will be the big barbeque night as usual, there will be fish stories from the day as well to share by then. Libations, steak tips, the usual.

*** sat dinner will be at our Chatham cottage deck as Dave17 points out, address will be provided in May with lots of advance notice before the clave weekend ***

My advice to you is make your arrangements while the making is good. If you need assistance, I have good intel to offer.

FredA
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I'll have room in So. Dennis for a few people.

nmbrowncom
03-01-2009, 04:41 PM
it sounds like we won't have the stonehorse this year. any thoughts about where when and how (i hope not "if") to have the "kick off" dinner?

woodtac
03-01-2009, 04:46 PM
An old fart from Maine, and relative newcomer to this group, would like very much to join you men for this event this year. I have fished a fair amount up this way, and did my first trip to Monomoy last summer. I'm fishing starved at this point and am off to the Bahamas for the bones in a few days. It would be great to know that this gathering is on the calendar too. If one of you has a spare bed for one night could you let me know, and let me know what I can contribute to the larder, or the bar? Thanks.

Chris
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Drew and I are looking for a place for Thusday, Friday and Saturday. If anyone is looking for a couple guys to secure something let me know by a PM. Like everyone else the SH hasn't replied.

striblue
03-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Is there any interest in getting to the south tip of SM during the clave?

Dave17
03-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I would be...

vtloon
03-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Nominally, I would; I'll have a better handle on it after 10 march.

Update: Will be up for it! No March shoulder surgery!

petevicar
03-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I think I will probably be following Dave.

petevicar
03-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I think I will probably be going along with Dave.

Warren
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Is there any interest in getting to the south tip of SM during the clave?

John if we can pull that off I would be game

juro
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I am definitely IN.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will be going on there.

wrke
03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm wit youse guys. Don't know enough not to.

flydoc
03-09-2009, 03:38 PM
As always, count me in.:)
Flydoc

Of course, the Simms clan better come along....wouldn't be the same without Jim and the boys;)

Jim Miller
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Sounds good to me.
What are the percentages of the trip going off....as scheduled?

juro
03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
It will just be an added bonus at that time of year. Things will be popping all over though so it's not like a dog day escape plan as it was originally when John and I approached Keith with our diabolical plan back in the day.

In fact that's how John and I met many years ago... I asked Keith to take me down there and he said there's some other wacko who is always asking me the same I should introduce you two :D

striblue
03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
....... yes.. and the rest is history. Juro is correct..it is just a thought and added bonus. There should be fish everywhere at that time...so...it maybe just a side trip to a bueatiful location....not critical to the weekend...just a thought thrown into the mix.

juro
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
That being said the land bridge will force 100% of the migration to round the bend. That's all I will say online.

flydoc
03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
That being said the land bridge will force 100% of the migration to round the bend. That's all I will say online.

What Juro meant to say was the 100% of the migrating fish that were too stupid to use the canal:lildevl:

highway61
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey count me in too.

Steve

nmbrowncom
03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
me too, if it makes sense

jfbasser
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
What Juro meant to say was the 100% of the migrating fish that were too stupid to use the canal:lildevl:

Flydoc, how observant of you :devil: That is all I will say online.

Splake
03-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm interested. I'd be up for a trip during the week leading up to the Clave as well.

juro
03-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Flydoc, how observant of you :devil: That is all I will say online.

True true... however there appear to be a LOT of 'stupid' migrants out there every year :lildevl:

Point taken though - the correction is 100% of those running the Vineyard / Nantucket Sound shoreline, that would otherwise use the now extinct cut.

BTW I indulge in the bayside population quite readily as well :D

jfbasser
03-09-2009, 09:00 PM
BTW I indulge in the bayside population quite readily as well :D

I thought you were going to move Clave Headquarters to Eastham this year :biggrin:

juro
03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
hehe now we just need the ptown hook to join the mainland so none can escape to the north! :lildevl:

Jim Miller
03-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Got Ya!
Adventure and options are GOOD things! :D
(btw: there are No fish in that mudhole ditch ;) )

jfbasser
03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=
(btw: there are No fish in that mudhole ditch ;) )[/QUOTE]

There are no fish in the Canal

striblue
03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Jimbo, oh no, my understanding from all the reports I see is that THE Canal is the best place to catch Keeper Bass, minimum 45 inchs, than any other place on the east coast.....maybe the country.:biggrin:

vtloon
03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Count me in. No shoulder surgery until Nov/Dec!

flydoc
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Jimbo, oh no, my understanding from all the reports I see is that THE Canal is the best place to catch Keeper Bass, minimum 45 inchs, than any other place on the east coast.....maybe the country.:biggrin:

I've never caught a thing out of the canal. Saw Basser catch one once, but I think he was using some kinda illegal voodoo scent-impregnated anorexic jerk bait kinda thingamabob named after an obsolete writing instrument:hihi: Certainly not a proper fly, as our English brethren in attendance that day would attest to:wink: Also recall that as the day of Adrian's great automechanical misadventure....
Flydoc

alosa52
03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi
I also would be up for a trip out to the rip. I've been out a number of times and I'll go went ever I get a chance. I can't wait.

Larry aka shadfreak

juro
03-11-2009, 08:28 AM
I'll be making more visits to the ditch this year, since I won't be driving like a madman to get to the elbow (which usually makes me overlook the canal). :smokin:

Adrian
03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
O.K. sign me up for the rip - if there's still space .....

Plus, at Bear's Den show last week-end, a meeting of the Unofficial Flyfishing Forum Pre-Clave Big Ditch Two-Hander Sub-Committee (or UFFPCBDTHSC for short) decreed that the tides for Friday May 29th looked auspicious, a vote was taken and the proposition carried. Thanks to Bro Fishawk for having the foresight to secure a set of 2009 tide tables for afformentioned big ditch. Now if I could only remember what the proposition was, I would be in good shape........ :rolleyes:

The only slight impediment could be the rumoured closing and draining of the Canal in early May to install a tidal power generation plant. :(

Jfbasser will be pleased to know that this year:

i) I joined triple "A"
ii) I put a new battery in the Jeep :smokin:

Chris
03-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Has a day for SM been decided on. Drew and I would be into it. We're still working on Darryl but I think we can wear down any resistance.
I either missed what day you guys are looking at or it wasn't stated. Someone straighten me out.

striblue
03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Chris, No day has been decided on, just a head count as to whether of not there is any interest.... I am sure keith can pull off one of the three days and weather is also a factor. It maybe that we will not have the numbers or we might. We do not know this right now.

Chris
03-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks John,
Now, I've never done one, the times I intended to we got blown out. We could very likely get dropped off but not picked up, correct, depending on winds? If we walk back we're looking at 6 miles or so just to SB, right? Anyway, like I said, Drew and I need to work on Darryl I'll have an definite answer in a day or two.

BTW, we have secured a cottage for the weekend a couple miles from you on Pleasant Rd.

striblue
03-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes to all of that....but, I cant answer these questions until all is confirmed with Keith...we might be able to have another drop off point...or the north tip of SM....Let's just wait and see as we get closer to those dates.

jfbasser
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
O.K. sign me up for the rip - if there's still space .....

Plus, at Bear's Den show last week-end, a meeting of the Unofficial Flyfishing Forum Pre-Clave Big Ditch Two-Hander Sub-Committee (or UFFPCBDTHSC for short) decreed that the tides for Friday May 29th looked auspicious, a vote was taken and the proposition carried. Thanks to Bro Fishawk for having the foresight to secure a set of 2009 tide tables for afformentioned big ditch. Now if I could only remember what the proposition was, I would be in good shape........ :rolleyes:

The only slight impediment could be the rumoured closing and draining of the Canal in early May to install a tidal power generation plant. :(

Jfbasser will be pleased to know that this year:

i) I joined triple "A"
ii) I put a new battery in the Jeep :smokin:

The proposition was that the meeting time and place would be the same as the year of the battery failure...namely very early in the am:devil:

jfbasser
03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I've never caught a thing out of the canal. Saw Basser catch one once, but I think he was using some kinda illegal voodoo scent-impregnated anorexic jerk bait kinda thingamabob named after an obsolete writing instrument:hihi: Certainly not a proper fly, as our English brethren in attendance that day would attest to:wink: Also recall that as the day of Adrian's great automechanical misadventure....
Flydoc

Oh, that was the year of the 4 ounce custom loaded pencil popper:biggrin: There was a previous year when I had Adrian shaking his head when I caught a bass on back to back casts using a Sluggo testing my son-in-law's spinning rod and then another with Sean's spey rod:lildevl:

Penguin
03-13-2009, 08:35 PM
As the Right Honourable Mayor of Elbowtown, Striblue, can and will and has attested...
It's a little know but widely accepted fact that, of the many IGFA World Records documanted every year, had they not occurred where they occurred, they probably would have occurred in, or adjacent to, the canal, or, for those more drawn to local terminology, the DITCH...
and besides that...
Capt Wejebe films most of his "exotic" shows on location in the Ditch...and Capt Norn Issaacs, previously associated with Big Island Blue Water fishing, can, despite the draconian prohibitive regulations, frequently be seen trolling up and down between the Bourne and Sagamoron bridges with TIGHT lines!
and, besides jfbasser's incontrovertable and undisputed field research...
even Bernoulli realized the BIG FISH potential when he stated that as the speed of a moving fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases, creating a classic "fluid mechanics" phish magnet...and, with any luck, you won't get abused by territorial "locals" because you're standing on their favorite rock or near a certain numbered pole and your car won't get keyed or broken into...
It's a 7.5 mile open Venturi tube with an attitude...
Go phigure!

Warren
03-14-2009, 04:25 PM
even Bernoulli realized the BIG FISH potential when he stated that as the speed of a moving fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases, creating a classic "fluid mechanics" phish magnet...

ROFLMAO:
Only You Pete could come up with a way to figure Bernoulli's fluid dyamics into striper fishing :hihi: ....LOL

Good work:smokin:

striblue
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
...and, with any luck, you won't get abused by territorial "locals" because you're standing on their favorite rock or near a certain numbered pole Pete speaks from some experience I guess.LOL:lildevl:

petevicar
03-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Ok as a foreigner could someone please explain what all this ditch and canal stuff is all about.

Is this the canal that is crossed by the Sagamore bridge?

I can not work out from the previous posts if the fishing there is good or bad, there seems to be some sort of secret language in use.

striblue
03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
PeteV, you have opened Pandoras box... Yes, it is the canal at the Cape crossing bridges.... Here is my take on why there is so much innuendo on this matter, and you will see very few, if any separate Canal report threads. Although it does not appear here in this thread directly my recollection of most past threads on the canal from some posters is this. . I (me , that is) think the canal is a great place to fish, from what I have heard, no doubt about it ,and it should be part of the potential venues for any trip or as part of a location for this clave. I don't like to fish there since I can recall my car getting broken into 10 years ago (I know it can happen anywhere), I don't like the venue, the location, the pedestrian or asphalt road, the power plant and other things ,like the beautiful view of the power plant, bridges, the trash, dog doo,and lots of people around , including “this is MY spot jerks“, and the "secret Poles" ( telephone pole locations by number where tide flows have produced fish on a predicatable level and a guarded knowledge never shared publically). Adrian says they are building more....but that is not the real issue. I just don't understand some things and will leave it to the Freudians... Every time some poster reports that they caught a keeper at, say Brewster Flats, Lewis Bay, P-town, Harwich, Falmouth or heavens forbid, Chatham,(there seems to be a sarcastic dislike for anything referring to Chatham) there is predictably a post that says something like, "we caught MORE at the canal or bigger at the canal".... if it was a separate canal thread as a report that would be fine, but to sort of see the constant "one-upmanship" on threads that some guy wants to report and perhaps get a thumbs up, or a good job statement, or a simple congrats.... he gets the "I have more baseball cards and a BIGGER colection than you type of thing"...most of the time very subtle but sacrastic. I recall the stuff that was poopooed about the last attempted rip trip and I have a good recollection of what I am saying. Naturally, if this perception is wrong I will gladly admit it and nothing personal. I can not even imagine myself posting on, say, the NJ board (Not the FFF forum) ,where one guy posts about catching many keepers, using plugs, at the Canal and me posting on that same,thread “so what, I (or we, or I heard)caught more keepers at Monomoy in Chatham using a fly rod”. I would post a separate Monomoy report…but that’s just me. I am making a direct statement and there is no sarcasm in this post. Personally, I take no joy in intentionally attempting to take the wind out of some guys post with cute ,sarcastic, “one--upmanship“ including a suble fly fishing digs. Let’s see if things change in this years posts. Let’s see some good Canal Threads and reports on separate Canal reports or general “weekend” reports. :tsk_tsk:

juro
03-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Pete -

Yes, these are examples of local vernacular for the canal. Because of excellent flow and exchange between the sound (southwest) and bay (northeast) this area is a real producer.

Those who know it (like Basser, Paul Cheever, etc.) can tap into it's treasures reliably. You'd enjoy fishing with these guys during your visit if you can manage.

I chuckled at the 'secret language' comment but frankly I've been to a 16th century pub with a group of co-workers in Coventry UK and I could not understand a word coming from the mouths of the very same guys who spoke plain English all day at the office once the pints were pouring - bullocks! :)

jfbasser
03-16-2009, 10:35 AM
In the spirit of not driving by fish to find fish a few of us get together to fish the canal early on Friday morning before Clave weekend. Some fish conventional tackle and some fly fish. The fly fishing is limited because of backcast room and the ability to land a fish in the strong current as the angler is pretty immobile on the rocks. The canal is one of the only spots with deep water close to shore and is a major migration route for Striped Bass to Cape Cod Bay. Fishing reports for that morning are always posted on the site prior to Friday evening to get the Clave blood flowing. Usually a few decent fish are caught in a few hours time if the tides are right. It also gives folks a chance to try out their Spey or Skagit rods.

striblue
03-16-2009, 10:57 AM
In the spirit of not driving by fish to find fish a few of us get together to fish the canal early on Friday morning before Clave weekend. Some fish conventional tackle and some fly fish. The fly fishing is limited because of backcast room and the ability to land a fish in the strong current as the angler is pretty immobile on the rocks. The canal is one of the only spots with deep water close to shore and is a major migration route for Striped Bass to Cape Cod Bay. Fishing reports for that morning are always posted on the site prior to Friday evening to get the Clave blood flowing. Usually a few decent fish are caught in a few hours time if the tides are right. It also gives folks a chance to try out their Spey or Skagit rods.

Great, an informative, direct post in plan language...very refreshing..Thanks

petevicar
03-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks Basser
That summary helps a lot.

Pete

striblue
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
It would be nice and helpful for post relating to the Canal, which I confess know very little, to let us know...WITHOUT spot burning or divulging pole numbers to speak in more specific terms...Like the west side, east side, mouth of CC bay or Mouth of BB... where are the good and safe parking spots.... what is the best tides and what side of the Canal is best... this is not spot burning. When other reports are given, like at Chatham, reports say, South beach west or east, North Monomoy, crib or west side... and tides are always stated by the reporter. Even Juro, and I will give the best tides we encounter. When someone fishes at Nauset beach, they say so...some even say they went left of the parking spot....they don't say that they were fishing the "National seashore". They don't give specific spots along Nauset(by the fourth sand dune to the left of the parking lot). I have stated and probably too much info that when I have fished Brewster, I might say I parked at Point of Rocks beach...I don't say where I am going out there or which channel will appear at such and such tide. What kind of sharing is reports that don't do that? Why even post? Even a statement to PM for specifics is better than nothing. :confused: This is why I expressed the perception I have in my previous post in case they is any question. If I use sacrasm, it is in response to sarcasm, But I will never do this as a prelude.

jfbasser
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Canal fishing in general centers around what is known as "breaking tides". These are the tides when fish usually break into mini surface blitzes just after sunrise. Turns out that they occur near or at the full or new moons which produces a low tide at our Latitude at daybreak (quite convenient...a current change at daybreak at times with the highest current flow (or best tides)). The current in the canal turns East about an hour before low tide, so if there is an East turn at 3 am it signals the begining of a round of possibly up to a week with breaking tides. The earlier the East turn the further East folks usually fish and as the turn moves toward 7 am for example folks will tend to gather nearer the West End.

Fish tend to move in close to the bank in fly range in rips a few hours after the current turn. The bait must move in at that time and the chunk bait fisherman and the short casters will start catching more fish than the long casters. These are general principles and the presence of an abundance of bait such as mackerel or squid or sea herring can override the norm and cause the events you can read about. Those events are impossible to predict.

Parking should be done in an area that is central and controlled by the Corps of Engineers rather than sticking a vehicle in the woods. Use a bike to get around the canal. No side is better than the other other if you fish the Cape side the sun is not as bothersome and the prevailing wind is at your back. Even conventional casters need help with distance now and again.

Wind is an interesting point. There are times that I have been more frustrated by wind with heavy tackle rather than fly. Working a plug in a current with a cross wind blowing braided line in a big loop is not enjoyable.

striblue
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
That last Post by John is the best explanation I have ever read on this forum about the Canal...Thanks for that info... and if I do go I will be sure to bring my Ben Door(sp) spinning rod (s) with me along with my fly Rod... I will not use my collection of original Gibbs Plugs or my autographed Tony S. swimmers, but have plently others to use. I knew nothing about all that info, but I do now and I will have more confidence if I do go than just picking some spot randomly...Thanks again. This is an edit...Juro should make John's post above a sticky...so that it can be referred too in the future without tring to find it. JMO...Juro, can you keep this here but also set up a new thread that can be placed at the top as a sticky...I am afraid if I try to do it I will screw it up. Copy it to a new thread entitled whatever John or you want.

millerbrown
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
It's been a while since I've visited this forum. Do you guys have any idea what you sound like?? This is like a secret society. Why don't you just get off the web and just email each other with all your personal chatter! Someone new would have no idea what you are talking about.

Just an observation.

Millerbrown

striblue
03-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Despite what this sounds like to you it has turned out very clear, atleast I am sure to the striper forum and those that have posted and are attending the clave. Basser cleared it all up with an informative useful post. We don't have to "stay off the web" thanks very much, and need no advice as to how we communicate with each other...just an observation. John's two explanatory posts will be made a "sticky" for ease in future reference and to avoid the need to have to repost future answers to questions which he clearly described. Obviously any communications about what he posts may be delt with by PM, but that is his choice.

Jim Miller
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Miller Brown
I've found everyone is welcome to join in.
A question......just ask!
Pretty friendly group here... i think! :D

tomd
04-21-2009, 02:03 AM
I still need to wait on whether my wife will be in town during that weekend. If she is and I can go, I may be able to put a few up in my sister's house in Harwich. I'll post here as soon as I know for sure.

Tom D