DOWN MARKET = CURTAILED FISHING [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: DOWN MARKET = CURTAILED FISHING

jimS
11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
The stock market has been the catalystic for my globetrotting fishing for the past few years. With the market down 50 per cent since October 2007, I've had to reduce or eliminate my fishing sojourns for 2009. Bahamas, Australis, etc. are not on the radar, unless there is a dramatic turnaround in the markets.

This is a chance to reintroduce myself to some of the trout, steelhead, and muskie fishing in my backyard that I have ignored for the last 10 years.

Anyone else being impacted by the downturn?

striblue
11-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't want to even talk about it. Let's hope things change quicker than predicted. All I know is that I am not touching anything until I breakeven...and recoup some 40% losses. ( and with two in college and no loans)... I will be fishing close to home and recycling my hooks.

vtloon
11-25-2008, 09:42 AM
In the same boat; will try to put together 1 low cost domestic Tarpon trip, but that's probably it. This is such a buyers market that it's really frustrating to be a seller (taking distributions). If a high deductible health insurance works for you, an HSA allows you to be a buyer up to 4K; everything else seems to be a tax or tax twice loop. Yes, I'll get to know my local fish a bit better.