Resurgence of Atlantics in SR? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Resurgence of Atlantics in SR?

juro
11-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Relatively few people know that the Salmon River got it's name from it's history among the most prolific runs of native Atlantics on the continent, made all but extinct by our foolishness decades ago.

Rumor is that they are making a comeback, and are markedly more common recently. Can anyone confirm?

vtloon
11-24-2008, 09:04 PM
This last weekend Jim caught one. We heard several others say they knew of some being caught. Apparently, NY DEC has been putting in a serious effort to re-introduce them. With the number of Browns in the river, both those Fall spawners will be competing for the redds.

Eric
11-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Absolutely, Juro.

Glad to see you're still among the living.

My friend Keld Olsson has caught Atlantics in the Salmon River and his fishing partner, who lives in Pulaski and is in charge of anadromous fisheries for New York State (Fran), as I understand it, has caught numerous.

Cheers,

Eric

Adrian
11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I released an imature bright silver fish about 7 inches that could well have been a "smolt" when I was up there last week. It had all the right attributes.

dmas
12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
The NYDEC in conjunction with the feds have been stocking Atlantics in the SR since the 8o's with modest sucess. The last two years have been encouraging with more fish showing up and fish finally coming back to the hatchery for the first time. Last year an oppourtunity was missed when returning fish were not used. This year it's looking like they are going to make use of the fish that came back. It is hoped that this will result in a strain that returns to the SR in greater numbers. Nobody knows why there seems to be an increase in recruitment lately, could be the environment out in the lake...I like to think that we are finally starting to see some wild fish show up in the mix but this is pure speculation. In the long run wild fish may be an important part of the equation in that we need to find fish that are resistent to Early Mortality Syndrome (EMS) caused by eating Alewives and smelt which contain Thiaminase. Lot's of hurdles to overcome but keeping fingers crossed that the program may finally be starting to turn the corner.

wrke
12-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Three years ago a friend an I fished for them during their "prime time".
Caught only bass, no salmonids, so no confirmation from me. But I'd certainly like to see them.