Beulah rods [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Beulah rods

GMflyfish
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I recall a thread on Beulah rod demonstrations on the Cape not too long ago - no way I could attend, but I would have liked to . I'm interested in opinions on the Beulah rods. I just had the misfortune to break my ten foot 8 wt rod (unrepairably) on a large steelhead, so I am looking for a replacement. I'm considering the Beulah switch rod at 10'6" in the 7/8 or 8/9 model. A four piece rod, with possibility for two handed casting, which I have never done. I'd use the rod for steelhead and stripers mainly. I'd like to continue using the stock of 8 and 9 wt lines, floating and sink tip and intermediate that I have rather than having to get new lines.
So, any comments on the performance, value, suitability of the Beulah switch rods?
I do not think I want to venture into the spey rod category. I have 7, 8, and 9 wts in the nine foot length.
Price tag on the Beulah switch rod is almost $400, and so far I have only found them at a few places all with the same full retail price. Any recommendations on where to possibly get one, and if I might find one at less than full sticker price?
My other alternative is to just replace the 8 wt ten foot three piece with a similar stick.
Thanks.
GMflyfish.

vtloon
11-17-2008, 10:55 AM
The rods we tried at Chatham this Summer were the Beulah "Surf" rods. I felt they seemed a nice casting, light in the hand rod; I imagine others will add their thoughts. They are 11'3" vs. the 10'6" "Switch" . James Shaunnesy of Beulah states they are a bit faster action..a bit more tailored towards the overhead beach casting. I liked the 9/10 best for my intended use. Unfortunately, although we tried 3 different wt rods, they each had different taper design lines.

FWIW, I've seen a couple of Beulah Switch Rods go on e-bay in the last month.

Paxton
11-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Just a comment in general on the B product...I purchased a 10/11wt rod this past season and am very impressed with it's casting, quality and overall performance. The rod is basically a 10wt on the upper half and an 11wt butt section which I found useful pulling fish out of the surf. (It is a very fast action rod) It was fairly light in the hand and even used it on the flats on windy days. It really punches a fly out there in bad conditions. re lines...I found that an 11wt intermediate and a 10wt fast sink was a perfect match (that was suggested by the dealer and they were right)
Ron

GMflyfish
11-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the comments. Wish I would have had the opportunity to try some of the two handed rods.
I see that Temple Fork also has a "switch" rod, 8 wt 11 foot, 4 piece - for a few dollars less than the Beulah. Any commentary on the temple fork rods?
Thanks.
GMflyfish

juro
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Beulah rods rock. I too liked the 9'er at first but then we put the right lines on the 8 and it was throwing lasers into the backing (if anyone recalls later on in the clave).

I am hoping the spring migration of 2009 gives me a reason to use that to an unfair advantage. Special thanks to Jim Shaughnessy of Medford, OR for treating the forum guys to the enjoyable evening in Chatham, MA.

I'm glad I was able to offer a fitting welcome by putting him over something like 3,000 fish on the flats that day :) We only landed 1 or 2% - that would seem low but lines were tight the whole day and there were some pigs in the mix.

The night was appropriately capped off with a meal at the Squi-yah. Good times.

DickIvers
11-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Jim Paxton, Is your 10/11 Beulah the 10' 6'' switch rod as seen on their website?
Did you buy it direct from the maker? Dick

Paxton
11-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Mine is not a switch rod. Bought it at Concord Outfitters......they usually keep a few in stock, but I was there last week and they are out at the moment...but will order if desired. Beulah and Temple Fork are 2 brands hard to beet re price/quality IMHO
Ron (Paxton)

jfbasser
11-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Loomis also makes a very capable two-handed surf fly rod in the "11 foot plus" length.