Abel vs. Tibor [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Abel vs. Tibor

JTWG
11-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello guys,

About two years ago i put together my "dream" setup for bonefishing with a scott s3s 9 wt and i bought an abel big game 3 and then bought a super 8 reel to go on it. I had an old Orvis TLS 8 wt rod as a backup. Well, the Orvis rod broke and they hooked me up with a brand new T3 which is a beautiful rod. I now need a new reel because i want to string up an 8 and 9 wt when bonefishing (why not string up two, right. maybe i'll run into a cuda, permit, etc).

So i had thought about trying to buy a used super 8 abel on ebay, but i've come across a friend selling a Tibor Everglades. I had thought it would be good to stick with Abel since then the spools would be the same, but why not branch out? Tough decision, what would you old salts do? Or, would you just by a reel that's a little more affordable and say the heck with it.

Thanks,
JT

jimS
11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
If the Tibor can be had at a reasonable price, go for it. You won't know the difference between it and an Abel. Both reliable, well made and awesome cork drags. I'm a Tibor guy, but would have no problem getting an Abel at the right price. Its like comparing apples to apples.

petevicar
11-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Hi JT

Tibor and Abel are both very good brands. They are top end disk brake reels.
For a cheaper alternative have a look at Shilton.

Pete

JR SPEY
11-16-2008, 08:55 AM
How about, "For a less expensive alternative, have a look at Shilton." There is nothing cheaper about it when compared to an Abel or Tibor EXCEPT the price. At least nothing that I've found.

petevicar
11-16-2008, 12:34 PM
JR Spey
I stand corrected.

Pete

juro
11-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Yes they're just "ducky" (drag sound)

doctorsteve
11-17-2008, 09:17 AM
I have one of those size 4 lamson litespeeds for bones. It's a great spey reel too. I picked it up on ebay for $250 new in the box. I don't think they make it anymore, I think it's a waterworks reel now. The only thing I don't like about my Abel is it's silent going out. I've had it for 10 or 11 years, and I know they have a click out option now. You need that if you like a nice scream. I also like my Billy Pate (tarpon), but that's quiet too.

JTWG
11-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to go with the Tibor. It's got a bonefish engraved on the side of it and that's just the kind of "bling" i'm looking for. If that won't catch a bonefish, i don't know what will.

Just to ask the question, has anyone fished a Hatch reel? i really liked the look of that reel, but i ultimately wanted to go with a cork drag.

petevicar
11-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi JT
Sounds like a good decision.

Surprisingly enough I have a couple of Hatch Reels and I really like them. My Hatch 7 is one of my favorite bonefish reels.

I hope everything is OK over there in California. Last year I had some correspondence with John Torok the CEO of Hatch and they were having serious problems with fires. It looks like this year maybe worse.

Pete

Dave17
11-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I know I'm chiming in a little late but I couldn't resist. I have three of each. The Abels have proven to be a little more durable over time. The Tibors are still my favorites because of the way that drag sings.

Yes, Abel does have an outward click now, but it is just that, a click. They still sound like trout reels. Nothing sounds like a Tibor and I find that it makes the bonefishing experience all the more fun.

You can't go wrong with either but wait until you hear that drag:lildevl:

Smcdermott
11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Dave,

I agree. Nothing sweeter than a Tibor paying out line. You should hear one with a 150lb bluefin on the end of it :lildevl: . Or maybe you have?

Sean