Trout Books [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trout Books

Smcdermott
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Any reccomendations on an all around trout book for the Northeast for a trout neophyte? If a newcomer to the salt asked me what to read I would say Inshore Fly Fishing by Tabory or Fly Fishing the Saltwater Shoreline by Mitchell. What's the equivalent for trout fishing the Northeast?

Thanks,

Sean

sean
11-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Ray Bergman 'Trout'. All you will ever need to know about trout is in that book.

Sure there are river guides and such that will show you where to fish but no one has comes close to the why of trout fishing as Mr. Bergman did in that book.

-sean

vtloon
11-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Also:
For stream & river fishing: "Reading Trout Streams" by Tom Rosenbauer

For stillwater: "Lake Fishing With a Fly" by Ron Cordes & Randall Kaufmann

highway61
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Along with the books already mentioned, I just got the The Classic Guide to Flyfishing for Trout: The Fly-Fishers Book of Quarry, Tactic and Techniques by Charles Jardine as a gift. It is very good. If you are looking for books that describe's places to fish you might want to check out Trout Streams of Northern (and Southern) New England. These are general reports on the quality of the streams, a bit on the hatch, and places to access the rivers and streams. If you would like more specific details of where to fish, PM me and I will share a few places that I like to go.

Steve

millerbrown
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM
If I had one book to recommend about trout fishing it would be Gary LaFountaines' "Caddis Flies" or any work by that great author.

"Trout" by Bergman, which I reread last year, is a dated work. Good for it's time but lacks info on so much of what we now consider to be standard knowledge.

Millerbrown

sean
11-03-2008, 07:05 PM
lacks info on so much of what we now consider to be standard knowledge.

Which for the most part is useless anyway if you just want to catch fish. Fish have not changed habits or gotten any smarter in the past 50 years.

Think you missed the point of the book as a whole. It is about the journey and not new fangled flies and techniques. Ray's book has never been beat in that regard. Fly fishing for trout is (or should be) more than just catching fish.

Caddisflies is the second book I would recommend though and then soft hackled flies by Nemes.

-sean

millerbrown
11-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Sean,

I see your point and agree with the Nemes book too. If it is the "lore" of trout that we want to read about then it would have to be "Trout Madness" by Robert Traver. I was just a boy when I read that book and it changed my life.

Millerbrown

FishHawk
11-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Sean you can catch stripers so you can catch trout. All you have to learn is reading the water.(Stream)
However, trout when they are keyed into a particular insect can be very fussy.
What comes to mind is the Blue Wing Olive hatch when the fish are on the emerger. Also, you will have to get used to some very tiny hooks, like size 26.:hihi:
But the thing that makes trout fishing special is when they take a dry fly.
Nothing like it. FishHawk