Any action in the Stratford, CT area? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any action in the Stratford, CT area?

Quentin
10-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Has anyone experienced or heard of any action with bass or blues in the Stratford area lately? I haven't been down that way in a few years and was thinking of giving it another try. Not looking for specific locations, just wondering if there are any decent fish in the area. I'll be fishing from shore.

Thanks for any info, positive or negative.

Q

tygerpie
11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Bass and blues have both been around. The problem has been VERY small pre-school stripers, and lots of them. In the 10-12" range. Taking small flys fished on top. Bigger flyies solves this but slows the catching down. My experience has been get there an hour before dark. Best fishing right at the point it gets too dark to to see well, then it quiets down before picking up again after it gets as dark as it is going to get. Have not had much luck in daylight lately.

Quentin
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't made it down there yet. I've been too busy getting skunked in RI and catching 6"-10" stripers at Hammonasset and Old Saybrook :hihi: .

Q

Boerie
11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Has anyone fished the mouth / estuary of the Housatonic river for Stripers / Blues recently?

I am totally unfamilair with this area and would appreciate some advice.

Dble Haul
11-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Bass and blues have been at the mouth of the Housatonic on both the Milford and Shelton sides, but it's rather hit or miss. If you happen to come across some action down there, chances are that you will have it for an entire tide.

FishHawk
11-15-2008, 05:13 AM
6 to 10inch stripers that's very good news. Perhaps things are so bad after all.
FishHawk:D

Boerie
11-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Mark. Will give it a bash tomorrow and let you know how we get along.