South County Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South County Report

bonefishmon
10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Tons of Bay Anchovies on the southern Rhoddy beaches. Bass stacked up all along the shoreline and wading fishermen standing right in the middle of them wondering why they weren't catching anything. There was a flyfishman I was watching casting his leader and about ten feet of flyline hooking up and frustrating the hell out of the other guys nearby. I was in a boat wishing I was on shore. No swells allowed us within fourty feet of dry sand. Fish all around the boat all morning. Anything longer than three inches just wouldn't work and a VERY slow retrieve was key. Phenomenal day today and no bluefish! All Bluefish there yesterday. Go figure. Bass in two feet of water so clear you would swear it was gin and no debris. Fish were in all my favorite spots today. PM me for those whereabouts. The games have begun. Odd thing is there are very few runts. Lots of mid 20 inch bass and a few 30's mixed in.

Phil

juro
10-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Rhodyclave?

Quentin
10-08-2008, 09:09 PM
. . . Phenomenal day today and no bluefish! All Bluefish there yesterday. . . . Phil

Phil,

I had a pretty good day down there yesterday (Tue) :cool: . I found conditions just like you described, but there were no blues where I was. It was all stripers, with a couple of scup and one sea robin to get the bogus slam :hihi: . Small fly fished slow on the bottom worked for me, even when the fish were splashing and slurping on top.

Hope it lasts!

Q

Smcdermott
10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Got my first sea robin slam a few weeks ago as well. Very cool sight. We were hitting some albies around a concentration of chovy. There were a few albies picking off pieces around a nice little ball. I cast to the ball and hook up but no run. Strip in the fish and sure enough sea robin. We motor up to the chovy and see what looks like a floating coral reef. 20-30 sea robins just floating around and in the school of chovy with their wings in full flair. Its odd stuff like that that makes this sport great.

Sean

bonefishmon
10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Quentin]Phil,

I had a pretty good day down there yesterday (Tue) :cool: . I found conditions just like you described, but there were no blues where I was. It was all stripers, with a couple of scup and one sea robin to get the bogus slam :hihi: . Small fly fished slow on the bottom worked for me, even when the fish were splashing and slurping on top.

Hope it lasts!

Q[/QUOTEI saw you on the beach. I was in the green boat.

Phil

Paxton
10-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Phil isn't exagerating....Rhody is hot. had one of the best days of my career today.
Even caught 4 scup. Good quality fish.
I lost my 2 anchovy flies to bluefish, but discovered a new hot fly in my box that had people asking me what I was using....under all the striper flies in my box were 2 "Crystal Sminnows" that I use for snook in Florida......they really excited the fish! As they say..."out of necessity is born progress". Gonna tie up more snook flies :) Re retrieve what worked for me today...2 quick strips and then let it just free-fall...at least 70% of the fish hit the fly on the drop in the surf.
Ron

PS: Phil...i enjoyed the dawn visit :-)

bonefishmon
10-11-2008, 06:28 PM
The place lit up like gas on a bonfire! Very happy Ron came down and finally saw this fishery in it's finest. As for a Rhodyclave? No thanks. Gun shy. Must mention a UDL.

Phil

bonefishmon
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Get to South County if you need a serious fish fix.

Phil

Gseries69
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Phil,

I may try and make it down. I'll be in Cotuit on the Cape this weekend. If it's slow I will probably make the drive. I've got to get some good fishing in before winter. Should be about 2-2 1/2 hour drive by the looks of it.

Do you know if I would be able to launch a kayak in that area? Any tips on where to start?

titleguy
10-24-2008, 08:18 AM
B-mon- I'm thinking about heading down there 11/8-11/11- what are your thoughts about the fish still being around? Probably be bringing a boat.:smokin:

MarkS
10-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Say Gseries,

Few places to launch a kayak...depends on surf.

You can try the area by narrow river...launch off the beach.

I've also launched several times at the deep hole fishing area in E. Matunuck...good access to W. Wall.

I'm not real interested in trying to go in / out through the breachways as they carry some serious current, but the beaches next to them can be launchable depending on surf.

Might make it down on Sunday AM.

bonefishmon
10-25-2008, 12:43 PM
President of our local flyfishing club called while I was out fishing. Said he met a gentleman he has not seen in a number of years. He announced that he was in his 80's and has never seen such good bass fishing in all his years of fishing South County.

Just ask Ron (Paxton). Managed to twist his arm away from the Cape. Hope he is here fishing today. Big girls are showing in the wash!

Phil

titleguy
10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Phil- check PM

bonefishmon
10-26-2008, 05:39 AM
Got it. Fish were still here Saturday morning if you were in the right place at first light. Surf was a problem.

Phil

Quentin
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I was down there this Monday and Tuesday (well, until 9:00 a.m. or so) but didn't catch any fish. I gave up early on Tuesday because of the miserable weather. At least it was beautiful on Monday, although the surf was still a little high.

MarkS
10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
I fished on Monday also....beautiful weather, surf still quite high from the blow over the weekend....Fished dropping tide in the early AM at a non-breachway estuary mouth that usually fishes well for me this time of year....some small fish jumping (shad?) up inside, but no strikes.

Thought (only briefly) about launching the kayak at deep hole....then thought better of it, and fished west wall...picked up 6 stripers, some inside, some outside, and that was the day for me.

bonefishmon
10-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Started up again along the beaches this morning. Bass in the morning blues in the afternoon. Still lots of Anchovies.

Phil

jfbasser
10-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Started up again along the beaches this morning. Bass in the morning blues in the afternoon. Still lots of Anchovies.

Phil

Someone took a 51 up my way that was going your way after its release. Should be going by tomorrow:devil:

fliboy
11-01-2008, 11:33 PM
So there's still some fishin' - boy it looks like I gotta take a 2.5 hour drive before she sings.

bonefishmon
11-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Hit or miss. Fish are being caught. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. Helps to have a beach pass. I'm having great results on the inside estuaries. Herring are beginning to show so that lady you speak of has one foot on the stairs. Good thing she's over weight cause those stairs look to be very tall! Once the Gannets start their whirling and diving she will be tuning up.

Phil