Cortland line question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cortland line question

josko
10-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between a Cortland Lazer Tropic Plus and Cortland Precision Tropic Plus flyline? They seem to have the same taper, same length, even the same description in the Cortland catalog.

shotgunner
10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
A midwest Cortland rep frequents a local board. Your question has gone unanswered so I forewarded a link to it. He replied direct so I'll re-post here.

Message subject: Re: ? CortlandFolder: Inbox

"There is no difference. We moved the Lazer Tropic Plus into the "Precision" package. It is a grest SW Line and we didn't want to change it. The Bonefish line is indentical too, many of our accounts wanted a bonefish specific line, and it's hard to beat the Laser Tropics plus for flats fishing."

burk - Steve B

Sent at: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:08 am

josko
10-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Thank you. It IS my favorite bonefish line, so I['m glad they're keeping it.

josko
12-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Why are Cortland lines becoming hard(er) to find? I just noticed places like Stoneriver, Kaufmann's, the fly shop, etc stopped carrying them. Bearsden lists them on their website, but didn't have an 8 wt lazerline in stock whern I stopped by last month.
Is there a perception they've somehow fallen behind the R&D curve, ir is it just their marketing sttrategy to 'lie quiet'?
I've been using Cortland fly lines since whenever, but am mildly curious about what's happening with them marketting-wise.

millerbrown
12-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been using Cortland lines forever too. I might be wrong but I've also been under the impression that they "made" lines for other "name" lines too. You may be right if you think that it's a "marketing" decision.

Millerbrown

Swalt
12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
There are a bunch of Courtland lines listed on ebay.

josko
12-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Tes there are, and theirs pulling out of 'bricks and mortar' shops into Ebay leaves me wondering even more about Cortland's sales strategy.

JR SPEY
12-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Tes there are, and theirs pulling out of 'bricks and mortar' shops into Ebay leaves me wondering even more about Cortland's sales strategy.

I seriously doubt that the changeover is part of Cortland's marketing strategy. I also doubt that the lines on eBay come directly from Cortland. The truth is it is hard to find a Cortland line user these days except on the East Coast and shops probably are finding it so hard to sell them that they are either dropping them completely or resorting to eBay to move their inventory. It has not been the same company since Leon Chandler retired and frankly they starting having trouble when the original 444 Lazerlines cracked shortly after installing them. They haven't ever seemingly recovered from that. Rio has clearly replaced them as the number two line company in the US.