Rip Trip This Saturday... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip This Saturday...

jimS
09-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Weather permitting, as usual, a Rip Trip is planned for this Saturday, Oct. 4th. This will probably be the last planned trip for this year. Please use this thread for signup. Plans will include a 7 a.m. launch from Stage Harbor Marina on Bridge Street, Chatham. Return will be a pickup at 4 p.m. Let's hope the weather gods cooperate this time.

highway61
09-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey Jim.......you can count me in.......should we do an anti-rain dance?

Steve

striblue
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I am in and you can probably put penguin in also...not sure about my son at this point.

Adrian
09-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Well, I've not been here for a while. :o

Worst still, I haven't been fishing for ever. :(

But I am coming to the Cape this week-end so count me in if its a go :smile:

If nothing else, it will be good to see old friends before we hang it up for winter. And, I need to get the rust off my clamming rake. :biggrin:

Penguin
09-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Phat Lady clearing her throat...:whoa:
not to mention some Albies a'splashin' and some rips a'rippin'...
throw in an Adrian sighting and a Chatham Mayor and a Steve appearance...:eek:
sign me up...
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/Picture017.jpg

pacman
09-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Please add me to the list!!

zimmjas
10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I would like to sign up for this.

striblue
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM
OK, with zimmjas that makes 7. I spoke with Jim this morning and told him I thought that vtloon might probably be in since he is on the Cape this weekend. With 3 more guys we will have 10. Jim will try to pry FredA off the bayside for a day and I wonder where FishHawk is? And Juro? and the rest of the usual suspects?

FredA
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Sorry guys, I'd like to do this but I'll be attending a wedding reception a half to 1 mile upstream from the light. Thinking of bringing my waders and a rod for the incoming. Any fish running up into Chatham harbor on the flood?

vtloon
10-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Right now I have another commitment for Saturday. If that should go south, I'll be on for the rip. It looks like west winds for thur,fri,sat: can Rip Ryder come around to the lee on the outside?

jimS
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Some of the usual suspects are missing, but we have a couple more days to roundup a few to salute the end to season's rip trips. If we could get to 10, the cost would be $60 each.

striblue
10-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Larry Pourier (shadfreak) just called me (he apparently is still having some issues on re-registering on board) and asked me to reserve 2 spots for him for the trip. he said that he would confirm with me this evening... so if he and his friend can make it we are now at 9.... Jim, if we get more than 10 and that appears doubtful, I would think Keith can take about 12 or even 13 and that would also reduce the cost. Spoke with FishHawk and he sai he did not think he can make it.

polareyez
10-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Please add Paxton and Polareyez to the list.

zimmjas
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Can someone post directions to the marina? I'm only familiar with launching from the refuge.

Splake
10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I would like to attend. If the trip is full please put me on reserve / the waiting list.If someone cancels let me know.

striblue
10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
If anyone needs a place to stay friday night, I will be down probably around 10pm. Also, Jim will post the final list and whether we can take 12... the final cost and directions to the marinia. I will be offline until sometime on friday...PM Jim or post here with any questions..

Guernseybass
10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I would have of liked to have made this one, but my truck is in the ER at 8am on Saturday :(

I've heard the fishing is very good down there, so I hope you all have a blast !

Mark.

striblue
10-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Pacman and shadfreak and his friend will be staying at CAC Friday night. I am assuming Jim is checking this thread and will let us know if there is any cancellation. The weather looks good but I don't know what the wind conditions will be.

striblue
10-03-2008, 07:49 AM
I just spoke to Jim who does not have a lap top with him... he said that Keith can take 12 and that keith will not beable to give a final committment until late this evening after checking wind conditions....so I will post no later than 11. If you don't hear from me on this thread we are on. We need to be at Stage Habour marina by 6:30 am and are leaving at 7 sharp... The trip cost $600 so that will be $55 each which Jim will collect from each of us before we leave. For those who need directions to Stage H. marina...you can google map it and it is on Bridge Street, which is near the Chatham Light. Here is the list of 12...Please post here if you CANNOT make it.

1) Jim Simms
2) striblue
3) penguin
4) Adrian
5) Paxton
6) Polareyez
7) Shadfreak
8) ...and freind
9) Pacman
10) highway61
11) splake
12).zimmjas

...I will PM anyone who needs my cell number and will also include Simms number.

jimS
10-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Capt Keith will let us know if the wind will inhibit the rip trip in the a.m. Striblue will post if the trip is cancelled. The wind is currently honk'n bad right now on the Cape, but it is supposed to lay down this evening. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Wind has been our nemesis this year when it comes to getting successful Rip Trips.

Paxton
10-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Sorry Jim, but I'm out...too long a ride to get there in the a.m. to find out it is canceled. I totally understand the need to call it in the a.m. given present conditions, but given my distance it's a call that I regretfully have to make.

Good luck to all if it is on. Hopefully next season we will have more cooperative and calmer weather.

I'm not speaking for Garry (Polarezes)...he probably feels the same way. he doesn't have access to the internet at the moment. I have tried to reach him at work but no answer, i will call him this evening and write back re his status.

Ron

polareyez
10-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Count me out. It's too "iffy" at this point to drive 3 1/2 hours just to see if it's cancelled. Thanks for trying to get this organized. The weather gods are against us fishing the Rip this year....:mad:

striblue
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Ron and Garry...just drive down tonight and stay at CAC... if it is off, maybe keith can take us to Mini-Moy and we can get some last fishing in anyway...but you can stay at CAC to make the drive more tolerable.

striblue
10-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Paxton (as does Garry) has committed to family matters...so we will see them in May...does anyone have a NOAA weather reading?????...if so, please post here. Larry just called and his friend can not make it...so we are at 9...so that we don't make unecessary travel plans....we should all look at NOAA...it's honking down in Chatham right now, but it is suppose to let up.... If we don't go, I am going offshore and will bring Larry and Pacman with me...if we can even do that. I will want to make the call tonight...not tomorrow in the Marina parking lot.... NOAA states in the summary page..."Sunny, with a high near 64. West wind between 8 and 13 mph. "...for saturday... right now it is about 28 to 30.... I have not looked at the telitype page of NOAA.

zimmjas
10-03-2008, 03:20 PM
ANZ254-040715-
COASTAL WATERS FROM PROVINCETOWN MA TO CHATHAM MA TO NANTUCKET MA
OUT 20 NM-
353 PM EDT FRI OCT 3 2008

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

TONIGHT
W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SAT
W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT UNTIL LATE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.

striblue
10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks zimmjas. I just spoke with Jim , who just spoke with keith ,and it appears there will be no relief.... that the winds prediced to be up....so we are OFF. I wanted to get this out as soon as possible... no need to make the trip. I will not be driving down since my tuna trip is also off for the same reasons. A college football day I guess. For me it was only one rip trip back in May which was great. We will start posting in May again and try again at the beginning of the new season. Sorry guys. I was looking forward to it as much as you guys. To the new guys who signed on...keep a watch in May and we will pull these off...this year was an aberation as compared to our past planning and trips. Pacman and Larry...don't drve to CAC ...I will not be there...John

Rip Ryder
10-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Mother nature wins again. Wind gusts over 40 today at Stage harbor Marine at 1pm and still up to 30 at 5pm. Forcasted to continue to gust over 25 till after Midnight. Two days of this will take more than a few hours for the sound to lay down. Over night wind is forecast out of the due west at 15-25, which blows straight in on the landing site on South Monomoy, and it is not to change to the North till mid to late morning.
Too far to drive for most of you to get the bad word at 0700hrs. Trust me this has been a very windy and expensive month for us. Wind started on Labor day and hasn't let up down here, exept of course the middle of the week when no one, except Jim Simms of course, is out fishing or boating.

Happy off season to all, and hopefully see you all in the spring after the big BREAK in South Beach over the winter:p

Capt Keith

striblue
10-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks Keith for making the attempt and the attempts during the year. We know it is a big money loss for you as well but we appreciate your opinions on all of this and for honesty. As usual, we will be at it again in May and I am hopeful things will be different. I will be down next weekend for a tuna trip and will give you a call....John

Penguin
10-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Sometime around 2200 hours last night I took a bike ride down to the beach...
The Bay of Lewis was flat calm...(second thoughts?!)
but...
At 0700 this morning the west wind was back to her old tricks and it's now honkin' 14G21...
No way for a west side pick-up...
As usual, the Right Honourable Capt Keith made the financially costly but correct call, otherwise we would all be death marching back to the north end for an extraction...
Soonerorlater the "refuge" may hear the sound of ka'ching and come up with a 4x4 oversand balloon tire shuttle service option...
The "land bridge" may prove to be South Monomoyz own worst enemy?!
So it goes...
Standing by to stand by for MAY...
Same Bat-Time...Same Bat-Channel...
See ya' at the Marlboro show...:rolleyes:
...on a clear day you can almost see the Azores! (...not)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/Canon06April06051.jpg

Paxton
10-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Pete...that's a great idea.....If NE farms can have hay rides, why can't the Cape have "sand rides"....the question is..."how big an all terrain vehicle is needed to pull Keith's vessel over the sand for 12 miles?

Do you still have connections at Army Surplus Outlets???? :smokin:

Ron

PS: Do we pull a chain or something to identify were people want to be droped off along the way??? Do we need "sand stop signs" and plover scoops?????? So many questions to be addressed and answered over the long winter.