Gaspe Trip report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gaspe Trip report

petevicar
09-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi Everyone.
Here is a quick report from last week.

This was not the most successful fishing trip I have ever had.

My bag containing my waders, reels and flies arrived 2 days late.
In 5 days angling I landed one salmon.
On the last day my guide's car was broken into and some of my gear was stolen to a value of several thousand dollars.

Pete

PS. Do you know the difference between Angling and fishing?

Angling is hunting for fish using a long pole or angle, fishing is when the fish join in.

juro
09-25-2008, 01:56 PM
:eek: Wow Pete, sorry to hear that.

Green Ghost
09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
This is an example of the dispicable behavior that appears to be spreading world wide. Mindless vandalaism.....I feel your pain....:mad:

Jere Eshelman
09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Pete, It was great to meet you at the Keg, but when I heard how your trip ended I felt your pain. It was my 8th trip to Gaspe and I hadn't heard of anything like that happening up there. I'll start taking measures to avoid carrying extra gear with the guide. Some time, someone will open his mouth to the wrong person and maybe the RCMP will get lucky for you. Bummer!

Salar-1
09-26-2008, 01:43 PM
The Salmon fishing world being very small .You could advertise here ,the most obvious items such as rod and reel combo. I hope there were no sentimental items involved and that your AND the guide's insurance covers the loss .
There used to be this sort of thing back in the late 70's early 80's, along a certain area on the Matapedia, that targeted cars with US plates . Although scarce ,it was taken care of by the locals ;-)

Salar36
09-26-2008, 04:04 PM
It has also happened couple years ago on the Matane, they finaly "hooked" the bad people, a man and a lady. It is common to see a car on a river bank with several thousand dollars of fishing gears, and some has understood that. But as Salar1 said, it should be a very good thing to advertise it in the area of Gaspe. Couple years ago, on a nice satruday morning, I have a rod who was "accidentaly" brought from the rod rack at Green Pool on the Bonnie. After just couple hours, with the fact my name is a bit known on river banks, everybody knew that I was searching my G.Loomis GL3 with a Ross Reel engraved with my name. Curiously, before the dark, my rod was returned to the ZEC office...

QuebecSporting
09-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi Peter,
I've been on these rivers for over 30 years. first time this happens.
What a shame!

Sending a few pics of the Dartmouth, Grande River and York ..you fished.

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/vikanis.jpg

Ann

(I am curious about that rod on Picture N0 6...
When you have a moment, tell me more about it...:confused:

Canadianflyfish
09-27-2008, 12:39 PM
It is pretty common on the flight from Quebec City to Gaspe to have your bags left behind. With a full load of passangers and fuel, not all the bags will make it. I used to sit in the front aisle seat and listen to the baggage loader and pilot discuss how much they were over weight, and how many bags needed to come off. We now drive the 12 hrs. At least we know when we get there that we will be ready to fish.

Venture
09-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Pete,

I am very sorry to hear about your trip. It is a shame to loose tackle to thieves. I just don't understand how some people can stoop so low. I do have a friend up here who is a police detective in Matane. He told me that crime is up in the town of Matane this year and that he is very busy with much pressure. Many many criminals. Perhaps its the sign of the times.

As far as plane travel is concerned, my advice to you is to hand carry all your fishing stuff, which includes waders, vest and flies, and rods and reels. With today's four piece rods, you can easily purchase the appropriate hand carry bag. You can usually hand two items on a plane. I carry a short rod case and shoulder a carry on with the rest of the gear and check my clothes. If they loose the clothes, no big deal. If they loose or delay your tackle, you are dumb out of luck.

This style saved me big time once when traveling to Russia. They lost my clothes somewhere in Mermansk. I had to board the helicopter from there and had to leave, but I had all my gear. Everyone at the camp gave me clothes to wear for the week so that was no problem. But if I had lost all my flies, rods, reels, lines, vest, etc, I would have been really out of luck.

Howie

petevicar
09-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Anne
Thanks for the pics.
That rust coloured jacket was one of the things stolen. :frown:
It was bought just before the trip.

The rod in the picture is a Zpey rod, designed by a guy from Norway. It is a great rod to cast. That was its first outing and I caught a fish with it. :)

I was playing a fish with it when the car was broken into.:frown:

Pete

petevicar
09-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the kind wishes everyone.
I have been traveling on fishing trips for the 20 years or so and this is the first time anything has been stolen. There is one exception and that is my rods didn't make it back from a trip to the Seychelles about 8 years ago and I never got the back.

With regard to the delayed luggage. This is the first serious delay I have had in the past few years so I can consider myself lucky. Bearing in mind that I make approx. 10 major trips per year.
However I did not suffer any real inconvenience as Anne loaned me waders, a reel and everything else I needed (many thanks). My rods were packed in my main case which arrived OK.
My bag was actually mislaid by British Airways in London and not anywhere in Canada. I must say I found all the people that I spoke to in Canada extremely helpful.

shotgunner
10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Pete, sorry to hear of the trouble.

Those placid clear pools look super tough [nice pics Ann] Is that the fly on surface inline W/ rod tip just off break in pic 2? Surely those fish must see someone approach the pool. I notice your back a bit more from same pool, pic 3

How skittish are the fish as a rule? Thanks for any input.

petevicar
10-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Those 2 pics are from the Grande.
When I got there, first thing that morning, I snook up behind the fish and cast my dry fly over them, they spooked on the fly in the air.

On pic 2 yes you can see the fly and if you look closely you can see it is covering fish.
On pic 3 I am maybe 4 or 5 metres upstream, I maybe 1 metre further back.
The fish ignored me.
I had a few follows from very small wet flies though.

I fished the same pool at the same time last year. There were more fish and I managed to catch 2.

Salar-1
10-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Pete
I can't tell you how many times we've stood at the top of the stairs and checked out that pool and them fish tucked into the rocks IMHO those fish have never been takers and as soon as you move from behind the bushes and approach the top step those fish "freeze " up and become motionless EVEN WEARING DARK GREEN never mind your bright red jacket :-O.Once I watched a friend approach them from 70' below IN THE RAPIDS and they spooked and 1/2 of them fired up into the very deep water at the head of the pool ! IMHO someone before us, and I think you, got in there and did some nasty deed to have spooked the ffish so badly .Also IMHO this pool is better fished from the other side from which you can fish Sardine Box (BIG streamer ) ,just above this pool ,Bruce (Dry ,yep a dry fly, in the rapids) and Walker ( Especially if the river is high) which collectively are a much better choice . The pool just below Grande Fosse will hold fish when they are running and they are VERY VERY hard to see in that Gin clear water .
Due to the "spooked" fish in Grande Fosse AND the fact that ,although this sector is a 2 rod sector ,I and others have found other individuals fishing here on the same day as you :-(( ,a lot of us Quebecois stay away from Grande Riviere . Most folk fishing this sector (3) will remian in the immediate vicinity of Grande Fosse and Sardine can because the fish are there right in front of your nose , HOWEVER i and at least one other party that I know of have ventured downstream scouting other pools and found someone else fishing in this sector(once WITH the knowledge of the ZECas they advised him to stay away from Grande Fosse . Also not to mention the year that the Trois Couronnes outfitter just below the ZEC's water had run a fence across the river effectively blocking the Salmon's up river progress and keeping them in "Their " sector . 3 Couronnes has gone through different owners since then . Also the ZEC has gone through several managers ,however, it takes a long time to take away the bad taste !

Salar-1
10-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Took me awhile ,but here's some Grande Fosse pic's from a few yrs. back in higher water . Also notice how the gravel in midstream has changed .
The second pic is an underwter shot of the furthest out fish
Cheers

Green Ghost
10-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Salar-1

Perhaps you are mis-informed

1) Sector 3 is a 4-rod zone
2) A gate is installed on the ouest branch near three crowns, not the main branch
3) There are takers near those rocks, but it is difficult.
4) Targeting others as a reason for fish spooking is NOT the objective of this web site. Blaming Pete for spooking fish is a lame excuse for not being able to deliver a cast in the crystal clear waters of this particular pool without spooking fish. :tsk_tsk:

THIS RIVER IS VERY DIFFICULT TO FISH PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

it can also be rewarding on occasion...:chuckle:

Salar-1
10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Nope wasn't blaming Pete at all ! I mentioned that he was also victim of the "spooked " fish .and yes one of the fish in # 1 was taken and that's why in the underwater shot there's only one fish left in midstream . On the times that I and others fished on this sector there were ONLY two rods fishing on this and I believe sector 4 ( mid/late 80's through to early 90's . I have no idea when the ZEC upped the rods to more than 2 !! In the day ,Trois Couronnes WAS just downstream of sector 3 and the fence was not a fence persay ,I should have mentioned was actually a net drawn across the river.

petevicar
10-08-2008, 05:44 AM
All I can do is compare the pool this year to last year.

This year the water was lower and there were fewer fish. The fish also seemed to be more coloured.

There were no fish in the Sardine at all.