Wading Boot Question ... need advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wading Boot Question ... need advice

dj_is
09-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I am in the market for a new pair of wading boots, and am torn between the Simms Freestone and the new Simms Guide Boot. There is a substantial price difference ($100), and I was wondering if the Guide Boot was worth the extra money?

Thanks for any advice!

juro
09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Compromise and get the L2. I own this boot and it's been excellent in tough wading conditions.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/images/simms/lightweightBootnewstudd_med.jpg

wrke
09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Only get the L2 if your feet are narrow. I returned mine as they were very uncomfortable.

juro
09-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Maybe they changed something Bill? Mine are a few years old but I too have very wide feet for instance I could not wear Simms Flats Sneakers because they were too narrow, settling with Patagonia Marlwalkers instead. Others loved them assuming they had different feet width.

I bought the Simms L2 1.5 sizes larger than my normal shoe size and find them very comfortable with neoprene feet (Simms Guide Classic Goretex Stockingfoot).

Or maybe thats why you didn't sink as deep as I did at harry's on Acklins! Remind me not to challenge you to a race in the pool. That may be like challenging Frank to dominos ;)

petevicar
09-26-2008, 11:47 AM
I use the same boots as Juro suggests, however they are 2 sizes larger than my normal shoe size. They are very good and light weight.

vtloon
09-27-2008, 09:28 PM
One thing to consider: with Didymos' spread, it may not be too long before felt soles become prohibited in many states.