Redington CPS [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Redington CPS

JeffRome
09-17-2008, 02:07 PM
I am going to the Bahamas in the spring to bonefish. I do a lot of trout fishing, but have never salt water fly fished before. I plan on bringing both 7 and 9 weight rods. I have G. Loomis Streamdance rods for trout, but am not sure I want to pay that much for my first saltwater trip. But I remember how much extra, ultimately, it cost me to trade up the the Loomis rods as I never used my old rods again.
So I guess the question is: does anyone have experience with these Redington rods for bonefishing? The price now is $199--but I really don't want to have to trade up to another rod (say the G. Loomis CrossCurrent) down the road if the Redington doesn't cut it. Any opinions on the Redingtons? Thanks!

BigDave
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
No experience with the Redington but you might want to look at the Powell TiMax. You can get them on clearance all over the web (short $$$) and as the owner of a few, I can tell you they cast every bit as good as top end sage/loomis rods. Fit and finish is not as good as the top end, but better than TFO etc...

jfbasser
09-17-2008, 05:36 PM
There are two price points on the Loomis Crosscurrents. The "$300" Crosscurrents are fine rods and come with the great Loomis return for breakage policy.

JeffRome
09-17-2008, 06:15 PM
I see that now--what is the difference between the CrossCurrent GLX and the cheaper CrossCurrent? Is it only 4 piece vs 3 piece?

jfbasser
09-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I see that now--what is the difference between the CrossCurrent GLX and the cheaper CrossCurrent? Is it only 4 piece vs 3 piece?

The guides are different. The graphite is of lesser modulus (but it is all good these days)..I think both series of rods have the same or similar action/taper (super fast). The reel seat on the "lesser" model is gold anodized aluminum that is quite durable. One thing is that there may be a considerable differencce for you in travel-ability of the 3 vs. 4 piece rods. I have a fairly large suitcase that I check and it can fit the 3 piece rods cross-ways .

doctorsteve
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Personally, I love the Sage XI2 rods. They are expensive through dealers, but you can find some killer deals on ebay. There are people that build them for you and still have a warranty (I think, don't go by my word). you can probably get one for around $500 to $600 new, or a lot less used. This won't be your last trip. Once you go, you can't stop. Buy a good rod with some casting backbone. Nothing worse than your guide telling you "60' ten o'clock, big one mon", and you cant get the fly there...

steve

Swalt
09-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I have the CPS in both the 8wt and 10wt. Its a fast action rod and a good bonefish rod. I have caught tarpon to 40lb and a permit on the 10wt. I don't buy the $600+ rods. They don't fit my budget. Maybe its my casting ability but I can't tell enough difference in the rods to justify the difference in price.

I think there are a lot of good rods out there in that mid price range with good warranties. When they started making a lot of the rods in Korea and other over seas places the quality really went up for rods in that price range. TFO, Albright, Powell and others all make good rods in that price range. I think the $199 is a good price for what was already one of the best rods out there for the money.

Its hard to find a rod good rod comparison, different strokes for different folks, but Yellowstone Angler did one that does about as good a job as I have seen. Google
"8 weight shoot out". See what they have to say about different rods then go out and cast a few. Compare the high dollar ones to the mid range ones and see what you think.