Prince of Wales__2008 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Prince of Wales__2008

Eric
09-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey,

I was fortunate enough to be invited back to our friends' cabin on the north end of Prince of Wales Island, SE Alaska.

My wife and I journeyed up from Waldport via car and ferry and got there in late August , just in time for the Pinks to start their mass invasion of the local streams.

And invade they did. The small bay on which my friends' cabin is located was riffled day and night with homing schools. The fish were mainly small, well under four pounds for the most part, but game and good inhalers of Kalsin Crazy Charlies and Pasagshaks (extremely effective).

Silvers (Cohoes) were not very numerous in the streams I fished. The Klawok, nearer the ferry landing, had good numbers of Silvers (they were already being sold at the hatchery) and built in numbers for the two weeks we were on the Island, but they were too far away for me to fish regularly. The only Silvers I hooked on the north end of the Island were foul hooked and few. (Drat -- my second favorite fish and no chance this year).

POW has a summer run of Silvers arriving near Whale Pass in late June and continuing through mid July. This summer was a banner year, with lots of fish being landed by boaters from as far away as Ketchikan. There's a huge snag fishery on these devils (honest to God, you can buy weighted trebles in local sports shops) and the fish that don't bite have to run a thoroughly focused gauntlet of belly-rippers before they can escape to the hatchery capture pools.

We explored streams up and down from Whale Pass, with several estuaries looking very promising -- Turn Creek and Big Creek being my personal favorites.

Bottom line is that Pinks are the bluegill of the salmon tribe. Admirable and fun, but not Cohoes. Nevertheless, I hope to be invited again, and help my friend commission his home-built 20' Toman Alaska skiff.

Maybe I can catch a halibut on a fly. Done ling cod, why not a 'but.

Cheers,

Eric

juro
09-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Eric -

Is this the same fishery as you wrote about here:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/flats-salmon/index.htm

Eric
09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Nope. That was Kodiak Island.

juro
09-12-2008, 03:24 PM
You get around man ;)

andre
09-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Eric, My friend Gary caught a Butt on a fly while we were in the Charlottes a couple of weeks ago.

Eric
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Man, I'm fired up now.

What fly? What depth?

Shouldn't count unless he was using a Deep Water Express in 200 feet of water.

Cheers,

Eric

andre
09-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Candle fish, 80-85' with a 10' sink tip, stuff was coming up for the bait balls.

I got a "duck" on the edges of a bait ball a couple of hours later, it put a good bend in my 8wt.

pescaphile
09-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Halibut on a fly rod? NO THANKS!

Eric
09-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Oh, it's sort of fun to see what odd things you can catch with flies in the more-or-less conventional fly-fishing manner. When you reflect back over a lifetime of flyfishing, the list of the weird and unexpected is probably long and varied. If I were deep fishing for Chinook, I wouldn't be surprised to hook a halibut and would add the crittur to my list, but I don't think I'd go out specifically for halibut.

If that makes any sense.

Cheers,

Eric