Truro Info [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Truro Info

bonefishmon
08-30-2008, 10:15 AM
A tragic passing on my wife's side of the family has us traveling to the Truro area the second week in September. Any info on fishing that area will be appreciated. Her cousin is coming from Florida and wants to do some shore fishing with the long rod. Ben put me into my first bonefish out of Key Biscayne a number of years back and I want to return the favor. What flies should he tie?

Phil

juro
08-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

My favorite spot in Truro that time of year is Coast Guard Beach, not the big one but the one just south of Head of the Meadows beach. I have not been there this year but the sculpting of bowls there is typically a fish magnet and sometimes the fall blitzes push right into them early and late in the day, sometimes during snotty weather too.

I had one of the most memorable angling days ever there several years ago - tinker mackeral and 30# bass and no one in sight. My hands shaking with adrenaline and the sound of cinder blocks being thrown in the water (bass). I remember stopping in to chat with Harry Koons afterward and he had the wood stove going so it was fall.

God I miss Harry.