Bayside - Chapin Beach Skunk [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside - Chapin Beach Skunk

JayM
08-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Down in Dennis for the now annual family vacation.

Weather has conspired against me with wind earlier in the week. However, I did get out last night to fish the dropping tide at the western end of Chapin beach. There is a nice marsh and deep channel.

Besides being cloudless and no wind what so ever, the most amazing thing was the HUGE amount of bait; I think they were pogies popping all over the bay. Heard some bass surface feeding but out of range. Decided to head up into the marsh flats where I could see the water disturbances. Tried night sight casting to them with no luck, including surface plugs. Later on the channel provided no takers either.

A beautiful evening, but no fish. There were several groups of surf casters along the flats section of the beach that also had no luck.

Anyone wading having different results?

Best,

Jay

jimS
08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
If they were pogies, that is indeed good news. Thanks for the post.

FredA
08-28-2008, 03:16 PM
A lot of drop out (itty bitty) herring around creek openings I think. Can't say I've seen any peanuts.

I'll be on the lookout for you Jay Saturday am. You too Jim.

t.kelly
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
I was in my kayak thur. am. at outermost harbor ( though you could have waded ) and the fish were busting what appeared to be peanut bunker. Took several fish before I got the bright idea to paddle out to Monomoy where I,ll really kill them. You guessed it ,nada . Moral of the story : Never leave fish to find fish.