Bayside - Chapin Beach Skunk [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside - Chapin Beach Skunk

08-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Down in Dennis for the now annual family vacation.

Weather has conspired against me with wind earlier in the week. However, I did get out last night to fish the dropping tide at the western end of Chapin beach. There is a nice marsh and deep channel.

Besides being cloudless and no wind what so ever, the most amazing thing was the HUGE amount of bait; I think they were pogies popping all over the bay. Heard some bass surface feeding but out of range. Decided to head up into the marsh flats where I could see the water disturbances. Tried night sight casting to them with no luck, including surface plugs. Later on the channel provided no takers either.

A beautiful evening, but no fish. There were several groups of surf casters along the flats section of the beach that also had no luck.

Anyone wading having different results?

08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
If they were pogies, that is indeed good news. Thanks for the post.

08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
A lot of drop out (itty bitty) herring around creek openings I think. Can't say I've seen any peanuts.

I'll be on the lookout for you Jay Saturday am. You too Jim.

08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
I was in my kayak thur. am. at outermost harbor ( though you could have waded ) and the fish were busting what appeared to be peanut bunker. Took several fish before I got the bright idea to paddle out to Monomoy where I,ll really kill them. You guessed it ,nada . Moral of the story : Never leave fish to find fish.