Holy crap it's almost Labor Day! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Holy crap it's almost Labor Day!

juro
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow that was a fast summer. I love fall but then it will be time to freeze and shovel snow again :(

Better get some quality time in 2008 or kiss it goodbye!

n1gdo
08-21-2008, 03:14 PM
September is my favorite month but it also makes me a bit uneasy knowing what is coming ....brrrrrrrr

Then again I have a lot of vacation time left and Acklins and Puerto Rico etc are on my mind for when it gets cold here...

Who is up for a trip..... Mark I know you are in !!

f

juro
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I heard that in/around November the pilchards in the carribean do the same thing as the pea bunker do here - mass migration on the beaches. The result is tarpon blitz against the beaches, and I am sure the rest of the predators in the vicinity go bonkers too maybe even some Los Roques style bonefishing. Areas reputed to have this activity include Culebra beaches and shorelines in Porta Del Sol (west end main island).

The problem is the same as it is here - no one knows exactly where the biomass is going to make landfall at any given point. It would take a coordinated effort with those on location to decide which of the archipelago to target at a given time.

PR is one of those places, and is convenient for US nationals. Nearby VI gets them as well. There are some huge permit on PR as well as a few good bones, but they alone don't make it a destination.

I plan to escape to Acklins in the worst depths of winter this year but would like to take a short / inexpensive trip for silver kings on the beach if possible.

Any Carribean collaborators willing to provide intelligence for a group of explorers?