Carp on a pike fly? Almost! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Carp on a pike fly? Almost!

Quentin
08-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Here's another one of those "fish stories" that is actually true: a carp tried to eat my pike fly :D .

I was casting my black foam head/white tail pike diver for smallies on the Housatonic river and I saw a few carp cruising upstream close to the surface about 15' away from the boat. I flipped the fly out in front of the lead carp, which was maybe 10-12 lbs and was the biggest of the group, and it actually turned towards the fly, so I gave a slow pull on the line and moved the fly cross-current just ahead of the carp, and it turned and inhaled the fly no more than 10' from the boat :whoa: . I pulled on the line and lifted the rod a bit but only succeeded in pulling the fly out of the fish's mouth. Surprisingly, the fish didn't spook. I was even able to flip the fly out near it again, and it turned and gave the fly another look before continuing along upstream. Here's the fly:

Quentin
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I did manage to catch a few smallies and even a couple of bluegill on the pike diver, and also got a few carp on one of my "normal" carp flies (orange/purple berry fly). Turned out to be one of my better days on the water during the past month or so.

Anyone else fishing??

Q

Warren
08-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Anyone else fishing??

Q

Not much Q. Been busy with work. The curse of the fisherman

jfbasser
08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Picking up a few smallies on yellow/green bass bugs on the long rod at a local reservoir. Going to the canal for casting practice with the big rods. There are small stripers in the canal that can be had with the fly. No hardtails, yet.

vtloon
08-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Picked up a nice 10# Bowfin from the kayak last week. He drove back under a dock, but never wrapped around any of the legs; a Snook would have done at least 4 or 5 figure-eights.

flyjkol
08-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Last time I was out in the float tube I had a good size bass actually wrap me up around my own legs. Needless to say that was probably a very fun fight to watch from a distance...