Nautilus problem [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nautilus problem

Stevo
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Last year I bought a Nautilus CCF No8 and was pleased with the general feel of the reel. It has had minimal use since then and was last used a week ago. When I took it from the pouch yesterday I noticed the reel was stiff when winding in, so I tried loosening the drag (not that that should have made a difference as this should only adjust outgoing movement). The drag knob just kept on turning and failed to reach any sort of stop and when I turned the reel over, the spool, complete with the drag, fell off. We're not talking about just the spool coming off here but the whole shooting match, leaving just the bare cage and reel seat. Nautilus have said send it back, which I will do, but I'm wondering just how good are these reels as it's not the first time I've heard of drag problems... anyone else have these reels and/or had problems with them?

FishHawk
08-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I have the same reel and have not had a problem with the reel. However, after I use it I back the drag off completely and rinse it off with fresh water to prevent the build up of salt. I'll keep an eye on it after your report. FishHawk

jimS
08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Steve, I have two of their reels and have had some minor problems. The major problem has been a hiesitant drag at times and the free spooling while casting. I have sent the reels back for correction, and things appear to be fine. One caveat, having two reels, I can compare the two, and there is a difference in resistance on outgoing and the cranking to exert more drag. All are, I suspect, correctible at the facftory. Generally speaking, I like the reel. Silas, had the spool screw to the frame fail while we were in Australia.

The solution for the gear heads is the Mako by Charlton.

juro
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I've known Kristen Mustad for some time now and he and Andreas are as dedicated to customer service as anyone in the business.