This is why I switched to fly fishing..... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: This is why I switched to fly fishing.....

polareyez
08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
In a freak accident, a piece of fishing equipment ended up killing a Roosevelt man Tuesday.

Jaime Chicas, 21, of Roosevelt, was fishing off a jetty at the west end of Jones Beach on Friday when his 3-ounce lead sinker came out of the water and hit him in the face and then lodged in his brain.

"Suddenly, we saw him laying on the rocks," said Jose Gonzalez, 30, Chicas' brother-in-law. Gonzalez and his cousin, who both had been fishing with Chicas, ran over to find Chicas bleeding from his head.

flydoc
08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
And I thought hitting the bridge of my nose on the back of one of my dining room chairs was painful....:eek:

polareyez
08-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Decorum permits me from asking how.....:hihi:

juro
08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
"I hate when that happens" :lildevl:

PEC54
08-01-2008, 12:45 PM
clouser eyes that may put a damper on your day if one was to strike in a similar manner. Just goes to show, you just never know when $hits gonna happen. The last thing on this poor guys mind was to go out for a day of fun an fishing and not make it home because of a freak accident.

juro
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
BTW - I was referring to doc's innocent chair accident with the SNL reference.

The original news clip is no joking matter.

flydoc
08-01-2008, 01:09 PM
He most likely was trying to free his terminal tackle from a snag by pulling straight back on the line, when it freed up and shot back at him at bullet speed. A lesson to us all....
I simply fell asleep in my recliner Sunday afternoon, then stumbled trying to get to my ringing cell phone on the dining room table after it woke me up later that evening. Nose, meet chair... chair, nose....still a bit sore today, but I can breath through both sides OK.

Stevo
08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Something similar happened to a guy in England - only he was lucky and lived. In fact, I don't even thnk he lost his eye. Here's the X-Ray...

http://www.boingboing.net/_media_images_40880000_jpg__40880346_anglerxray203 .jpg

striblue
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
So , despite the fact that you can lose teeth, break a nose...if you are always wearing your plastic lens(sunglasses) atleast you are protecting...to an extent...your eyes. I always wear my old plastic clear squash google glasses if fishing at night...or my yellow tinted lens if it's cloudy.... the wind can change a back cast quickly as well as a poor starting cast.... Hitting the back of your head with the clouser is the least of my consern since the hat cushions the hit.

jimS
08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Steve, that is scary, bizarre. We have all snagged a fly or lure, pulled on it, and then ducked when it came loose and zinged toward us. I guess most of us have been lucky. While we enjoy a relatively quiet sport without the anxiety associated with climbing Mt. Everest, we must remind ourselves that there are some trepidations associated with our sport. They include the aforementioned, but also the weather, tide and currents associated with saltwater flyfishing. A wakeup call? We all should be reminded that we are not immortal.

So, how's the bass fishing in the UK?

Stevo
08-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi Jim

The bass fishing in the UK is slowing up at the moment - summer doldrums - but September is just around the corner, so I am waiting with baited breath (no pun intended).

The boat has been fun this year, which is what kept me away from your shores.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Gonzo1964/IMGP1632.jpg

And on the water...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Gonzo1964/Bluebastard.jpg

jimS
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Stevo, luv the name. I hope it refers to the Aussie BB, a fish that is a challenge to land/catch.

As you know, we're in the summer doldrums also, but things should pickup by the end of the month. Keep us posted on how you and Silas do this year.

Stevo
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Stevo, luv the name. I hope it refers to the Aussie BB, a fish that is a challenge to land/catch.

It does indeed, Jim and you are the first person to note this btw.
It certainly gets a few odd looks at the ramp! :hihi: