Sharkskin line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sharkskin line

JusBones
07-31-2008, 05:33 PM
OK,
I am confused. Not unusual. However, on my last bone trip, a very experienced guide told me "way too much noise". I was not fishing "Shark-skin", I fished my ole reliable triangle taper Wulff. I asked, "you mean the sound as it moves through the guides casting ? or on a strip strike ? Answer: Castin don mean notin, just keep it from spokinn em, but tip in water strip, it spooks dem bones"....
Comments/Opinions welcome !

jimS
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Interesting comment from your guide. If there is noise as a result of a "not smooth" line thru the guides, then he probably has a point. I'm of the school that my rod tip is generally in the water duinrg the strip, primarily because I want the maximum contact with the fly, and can strip-strike without concern for the "trout strike."

Vince
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I agree--rod tip in the water when stripping
you can certainly put your rod tip into the water more quietly than your fly lands, and it's also much farther from the fish than where your fly lands.

You can make noise with your strips if your rod tip is not in the water--line slapping sometimes if you have an agressive strip.

I'm sure 9 guides out of 10 will tell you to keep the tip in the water.