Beulah 11' surf rods [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Beulah 11' surf rods

Gseries69
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Has any one had a chance to demo these rods yet? I'm ready to take the plunge this year and would like to have two hander for the fall migration but am still confused as heck about what rod to purchase (not to mention the line issue). Currently looking at the Scott A2 1308 and the Beulah 11' 9/10. No Beulah dealers up my way so hoping some one could give insight.

What I'm looking to do is throw larger patterns on 450-550 grain lines off the outer beaches, where possible in the canal, and off the rocks.

titleguy
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Joe- I am very happy with my LOOP Grey Line Goran Anderrsen on the beach- I was throwing a 450 tip no problem with a 2/0 bigeye deceiver into big wind last year.- Got mine on ebay for pretty short money.:cool:

FishHawk
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
T&T 13 8wt two hander for me:smokin: . A sweet rod. The price point might be a little high . I'm using 425 grain beach lines and it will handle a 550 Skagit line without a problem. FishHawk.

Gseries69
07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
John,

Do you use an out of the box line on that rod? I'm not really interested in building lines. The whole single to two hander line conversion confuses the daylights out of me. Beulah has supposedly come out with lines to match the rods to reduce some of the confusion.

Gseries69
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
T&T 13 8wt two hander for me:smokin: . A sweet rod. The price point might be a little high . I'm using 425 grain beach lines and it will handle a 550 Skagit line without a problem. FishHawk.

Yeah, from what I've been told, these are the cream of the crop, however as this will be my first two hander the price is a bit steep for me. Maybe down the road though.

When you say 425 grain beach lines are those the airflos or are you building your own?

FishHawk
07-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Joe , those are Airflo beach lines . Out of the box. I agree the lines for two handers are quite different than single handed rods in weight. That's because the line has to load a longer rod. FishHawk.

Warren
07-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Can I chime in?:hihi: CND 11' Oceana for me. I use the airflo beach line as well on the 11-12 wt.

JR SPEY
07-11-2008, 07:50 AM
I used the Beulah Surf Rod, 11' 9/10 weight last month on Cape Cod. It was an incredible stick. I've used similar rods before, including a couple that are mentioned here, and this rod blew them all away. I used it with the Airflo 40+ Beach lines in the 9/10 (425gr) weight. The guys who developed the rod thought the 11/12 (530gr) 40+ lines would load the rod even better, but I was getting 100'+ with NO false casting with the 9/10 models. That line comes with a clear intermediate head and with a deep sink called a Di9. I used them both. The prices (there are three models---7/8, 8/9, and 9/10) are below $500.00 and they will be available next week.

juro
07-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Beaulah has sent the Forum a demo of their 11ft 9/10 which is a thing of beauty. Having been involved with other designs I have to comment that this one seems to have all the right stuff. I can't wait to get it onto the big beach.

BTW If you're interested in taking it out for a spin on the beach let me know.

I still haven't dialed in a line for it yet because I've been really busy but will be all over it soon. I might even go to the football field to try a few lines.

titleguy
07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
John,

Do you use an out of the box line on that rod? I'm not really interested in building lines. The whole single to two hander line conversion confuses the daylights out of me. Beulah has supposedly come out with lines to match the rods to reduce some of the confusion.

Joe- I use the Orvis Multi Tip spey in a 9/10, which is a RIO line anyway and found that the rod loads best with that heavier tip. One water haul, a back cast and let it fly. It so easy on your body. Plus, you look cool like Juro and Sean...:smokin:

Gseries69
07-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd love to try the rod before I buy, however, as this will be my first two hander I really won't know what I'm looking for. I've been looking to buy a rod for a few years now and just need to jump in and start to figure it out I guess. Any chance for an outer beach spey clave this year or any one willing to show a newcomer in the world of two hand casting a few tips?

Also, anyone know where the rod can be purchased? No dealers in the Green Mountains that I know of.

Much thanks

Joe

JR SPEY
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Send me a PM, and I'll give you several options for purchasing one.

BARDY
07-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Hey Joe
You can purchase Beaulah Rods at Concord Outfitters in West Concord,Ma
1-978-318-0330.
Talk to Andy.

Good Luck
Brian

shotgunner
07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
"The whole single to two hander line conversion confuses the daylights out of me"

The basic formula for any rod is amount of grains over length/feet of the head. Longer heads can carry more grains and vice versa. After that the head taper plays a role. With a 'grain window' low and high end figure of grains that work for your rod, you can easily study other lines/heads that will be within those tolerences.

Casting the same rod overhead vs spey requires less weight, all the line is aerialised for the cast. Spey casts have the water supporting some of the line weight, casting load feels similar even though the head is actually heavier.

Juro does in depth analysis comments and comparisons in several posts back when the Atlantis was hot off the press. Just search 'lines Atlantis' if your interested.

Sent you a P.M. also.

soloflyfisher
07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm about to purchase my first saltwater rod for general saltwater use (in New England) from both shore and from a boat. Are people using these two-handers primarily as surf rods, or are they okay to fish from a boat too? Also, I assume you are mostly overhand casting with these rods in salt, but do you spey cast too? I'm trying to figure out whether I should consider a two-hander for my first salt rod or whether a single hander would be more versatile.

Adrian
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Solo

Regarding the use of a two hander from a boat my answer would have been never, until last week-end.

I got an unexpected chance to boat fish the Pollock Rips and Bearses shoals and the only sinking line setup I had on the Cape was my for my 11/11 Atlantis.

I worried that it woud be way too cumbersome but actually turned into an advantage since I was able to comfortably cast from the "tricky" side of the boat and the ability to shoot a bunch of line with a single backcast was great. Not sure I would want many more inches than 132 and I never got to fight a fish but I would do it again.