Missing Thread? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Missing Thread?

RayStachelek
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Tuesday I made a post on fishing conditions around Block Island. This wasn't promotional in nature. It's to inform everyone about current fishing conditions. This educational information benifits us all in time, fuel cost, and productivity.

Does any moderator have any knowledge of what happen to this thread?

Penguin
07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Good content with an outstanding photo...
Capt Ray...I share your query! :confused:

jimS
07-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I have no idea why it is missing. It was a good read. Striblue/Juro?

striblue
07-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Not sure..I will check the Moderators Forum....Pete and Jim do the same...

juro
07-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Are you sure you want to know why a non-sponsor captain's charter trip report with a client's hero pic was moved to the mod section?

Sean Juan
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Isn't Captain Ray a sponsor? I mean if you click sponsors Cast-a-Fly is numero uno.

juro
07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Isn't Captain Ray a sponsor? I mean if you click sponsors Cast-a-Fly is numero uno.

No, sorry I forgot to update it.

striblue
07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
My underatanding is that Ray does not want to be a sponsor of this site anymore.

RayStachelek
07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
You be the judge?

Here is the fishing report rewritten as close as possible to the original. It isn't any different from any other fish report you see posted here by anyone else. It makes no reference to any Capt. title, business, or clients whatsoever. It is a post by a registered member just like you about fishing conditions and how to find them.

Juro has added additional information to poster his position. In fact he has now ammended his first posted to put himself in a better light, but he did leave this.

To quote Juro:
Are you sure you want to know why a non-sponsor captain's charter trip report with a client's hero pic was moved to the mod section?

Block Island, Rhode Island

Since the start of the striper season back in early May, all my angling has been in upper Narragansett Bay. And why not! There was some good striper fishing here in our own back yard. There was no reason to leave. There were plenty of double digit stripers following the silversides and bunker when they did cooperated. But every day was different. The striper fishery lacked the consistency of last year. Still there was no reason to complain. Sure, gas prices were higher this year, but nothing compared to the record fuel prices we would see now in July. Fishing was hit or miss but you didnít have to run very far.

Juneís weather pushed me further south toward Jamestown and cooler waters. Providence still had its flotilla of bait dunkers and the place continued to fish well. I never got the boat north of Gaspee Point. It was just too stressful to enjoy in a war zone of boats.

Fast forward, the summertime has changed the fishing season once again. The boat was splashed for the first time on the ocean front on Fourth of July weekend. The weather/winds were favorable as we made the break through the West Wall gap. We pointed our bow toward Block Island. The seas were calm as we headed into the fog of Block Island Sound.

After a 14 mile run we started working the high cliffs on the western side of the island. Our drifts were slow. We started to cover more ground by trolling small tubes on mono. It is a good method of locating a few stripers rather quickly in calm waters. After a few stripers on the tube we felt we had found them. We switched to fly fishing. Some nice fish were landed in the next two hours.

https://plus3.safe-order.net/castaflycharters//Img_0781.jpg

striblue
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Ray..How come you don't want to be a sponsor of this Forum anymore? You have been for years. What's the Change here?

juro
07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
At times like this I wonder why I pay for and run this site.

Well I am up to my eyeballs at work and think I will go enjoy my lunch break outside.

JimW
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
The reason you put an ad in a magazine is to get results. It's an investment that you hope will turn a profit.

Since it's a fishing site think of it this way. If you keep casting and don't get anything it might be time to move.

In my opinion the post has good content, something every fishing site needs.

Even if Ray's not a sponsor this year, deleting the post without even a quick email is not the way to get a previous sponsor to sign on in subsequent years.

Considering the price of gas and the resultant inflation call it my nickel.

FredA
07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
"At times like this I wonder why I pay for and run this site."

There are times when I have a buck or two burning a hole in my pocket and others when I don't. If you catch me or others at the right time and respond to e'mails like the following I suspect you would get a bit more help.

Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:00 AM
To: 'juro@flyfishingforum.com'
Subject: PO Box & Donations

Juro,

Is the PO box listed on the site still valid. I do not want to use paypal and, also, colleague Gordon H asked me as he will not use paypal either.

Reading between the lines sounds like your heading out west. Have a good trip.

Fred A

juro
07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Jim -

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll keep it short since this kind of thing detracts from the good vibe we got going.

It's true we gave sponsorship privileges without payment to a select few as was the case here but such 'favoritism' can no longer be sustained and the policy is the policy going forward for one and for all.

We had more than a 'quick email' but rather a specific discussion on this matter and the sponsorship offer was declined which I completely respect.

However it makes the subsequent taunting a bit less tolerable.

juro
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Fred -

Thanks for the offer, but let me clarify that the way members can help is through their enthusiasm and excitement for sponsors. That makes the small fee we ask a real bang for their buck.

And it is genuine as well - for instance Beulah Rods has sent their hot-off-the-press beach rod for the Forum to fondle on location in striper country. Vince the world-traveling angling outfitter (the lucky guy) will be coming on with tales from the tropics and Cattaraugus steelhead among other exploits. I hope to join him soon. And our friend Felton in the out-island of Acklins has a spanking new lodge I need to visit next winter, on and on.

Also, once the annual cost is covered no additional financial support will be sought or accepted because we are running in a not-for-profit mode by choice.

Also, attend claves where people "take it to the streets" or flats / beaches in our case. We'll probably have fly raffles or something (our version of the bake sale) at these events.

So, for the membership - just stay excited and you're more than doing your part!

"At times like this I wonder why I pay for and run this site."

There are times when I have a buck or two burning a hole in my pocket and others when I don't. If you catch me or others at the right time and respond to e'mails like the following I suspect you would get a bit more help.

Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:00 AM
To: 'juro@flyfishingforum.com'
Subject: PO Box & Donations

Juro,

Is the PO box listed on the site still valid. I do not want to use paypal and, also, colleague Gordon H asked me as he will not use paypal either.

Reading between the lines sounds like your heading out west. Have a good trip.

Fred A

juro
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
BTW -

juro@flyfishingforum dot com has been shut down - it got consumed by spam

also, PO box was a fatality of recent developments

pls use PM

thank you

RayStachelek
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
striblue Ray..How come you don't want to be a sponsor of this Forum anymore? You have been for years. What's the Change here?

One has to look at the financial benefit of advertizing and its return. Since the very beginning when this Forum was conceived, Art Burton asked me to shuttle members in my boat during the Rhody Claves. I was impressed how everyone worked/contributed to put all these events together. It was like they said in the Sixties, ďA love feast, but better, we had stripers.Ē These activities continued for years bringing us even closer. The Forum exceeded with growth. Heck!.... We even had our own mission statement as one for allÖ all for one. Many contributed with blood, sweat, and tears. You would believe the pouring of donations of time, money, and supplies. Donations in many forms from tying demo at shows, flies, and other articles to fund this site. Even if you couldnít participate those people still gave just to be part of this.
juro At times like this I wonder why I pay for and run this site.

This quote I take really offense too for all the above reasons stated and more. Are we to believe all who helped establish this site was totally in fain?
juro

It's true we gave sponsorship privileges without payment to a select few as was the case here but such 'favoritism' can no longer be sustained and the policy is the policy going forward for one and for all.

Quote: Without payment for a select few as was the case here (referring directly to me). This year there was no donations from the Rhody IceBreaker. My mistake, simply forgot to pass the hat. It hasnít been a free ride. All seven of the IceBreakers are billed as Forum events; not my own personal business. Where did the funding come from? Forum members and my friends donated their boats and fuel, what about food? In previous years we supplied fishing trips as charters in exchange. The trips would gross over the minimum rate required. There were several proposals on the table to fund sponsorship. He refused.
So JohnÖ Thatís basically the reason. Itís not about one individual getting credit to funding the site, but consideration to all those who gave and contributed. They are the ones who made this site to what it is.
I bear no axe to grind to any individual. You folks have made it a great place to kick of my shoes and relax a bit in life. Wishing you all continued happiness.

juro
07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Ray -

Once again, I respect your decision. Please respect the policies of the Flyfishing Forum.

Thank you

Sean Juan
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Its the policy of Sean Juan to stick with Captain Ray...

Would some mod please, delete my account.

striblue
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Sure Sean...I will ask the moderators to do that.

nmbrowncom
07-11-2008, 04:46 PM
well, sounds like a hum dinger brewing. i'll put in my cents for whatever it's worth.

first, in my view, ray's post was a well done infomercial-like the posts you see on reel-time by their sponsors who pay for the privelidge.

second, when a business uses its resources for the benefit of others,but in promoting its business, while worthy of acknowledgment and thanks, it's still self promotion.

third, and perhaps most importantly, this issue seems to be driven by the scarcity of adequate funds to run the web site, and how to best alleviate the problem. in this regard i think ray may have hit on something. e.g. contributing, but not just the "blood sweat and tears" of organizers.. perhaps requiring a minimal fee (say $25) for each person who participates in an event organized on the forum such as the spring and fall claves or the rhody ice breaker or an acklins trip would make sense.

neal

striblue
07-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks Neal. I usually give the forum about $100 or 150 each year as a simple contribution...I have not yet this year but I told Juro this morning I would. That this has jogged me. Also, My understanding is that Ray does not want to pay the $300 for the sponsorship. Other than that I am not privy to the PM's between the two. Incidently, I contribute to Jeff Smith's site as well and know that contributions help with costs by those who devote alot of time to keep these types of sites up.

Paxton
07-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Policy or not....saids and unsaids...I for one will miss Ray's posts. I personnally never viewed his posts as infomercials.....they were informative, helpful, detailed, and a joy to read. Ray was one of the few people posting who didn't refer to UDLs, UDF (unidentified flies) etc.......they actually said something. They were honest....caught fish/didn't catch fish.....how many charter folks say that fish are scarce. I don't have all the facts...I don't want any of them....to me, whatever this scirmish is about doesn't reach the level of war, poverty, crime, life or death. It's just #$*#@!&!! fishing.
Ray...I enjoyed your posts.
Thank you,
Ron

juro
07-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Guys -

Rays' website is castaflycharters dot com

bookmark it and you can read his reports there

I've pretty much had enough of this ordeal - give it a break please. This is Big Brother Weekend. Don't we all have more important things to think about in our lives?

striblue
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes... good... I will also post for another attempt at a rip trip next weekend. I was going to go to NM tomorrow but have Tuna trip instead.. Been tying flies and rigging leaders.... then we will stop by the rip on the way back from the regal sword to see whats happening there.