difference between drags [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: difference between drags

dry
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Re: cork drags and fully sealed carbon fiber drag system with a positive spool lock up?
Some say cork drags are better, others say carbon fiber are better? Any thoughts?

josko
07-08-2008, 05:16 PM
They're both pretty good.

FishHawk
07-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Well I have both types of drags and like you say they are both good. My Tibor was recently submerged twice under water recently and it never hydroplaned like it's been reported to do when submerged. :lildevl:
My Nautilus is a combination of cork and fiber and it works well.
I take good care of my reels and don't negelect them.
Nautilus recommends a fresh water rinse after use in saltwater to eliminate the salt build up.
FishHawk

BigDave
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
it's not just cork - cork with a heavy duty spring keeping even tension on the draw bar is key. tibor and abel have it all in this department although I have not yet tried the mako. for most inshore species, either shoudl be fine as long as it's a corrosion-proof design...

juro
07-10-2008, 06:53 AM
I have a Danielsson Evotec LW going on 11 years old that's landed many bonefish, stripers, blues, small tuna, tarpon, salmon, and other mid-sized species and it still looks and acts new.

I think it's one of those fully sealed carbon drags but I forgot because I haven't opened, serviced, cleaned or otherwise thought about the drag in over a decade.