Shark on the Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shark on the Fly

Smcdermott
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
How many people have done shark on the fly in the northeast? What are the basic strategies. I have never done any chumming but would like to give it a try this summer most likely at the mud hole east of Block Island. I am assuming you can set up a slick on the drift? Is it ideal to slow down the drift with a sock or do you want to get a long slick going? Any special mixture on the chum? Any ideas/advice from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

josko
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I have tried, but have been unsuccesful getting a take unless I either douse it in pogy oil or add a bit of bluefish skin as bait to the fly. It's very frusatrating watchign them come up on a fly only to just pass over it (with their mouths closed) at the last second.
I have had no trouble getting sharks to the boat - just can't get them to take a fly.

josko
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
So, does anybody here know how to get a boatside (blue, mako or thresher) shark to hit an IGFA-legal fly?

nmbrowncom
07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
i've done a decent amount of fly fishing for sharks in florida and the bahamas, but have only fished for sharks off of cape cod using conventional gear. while the water was much deeper off the cape, basically the same techniques were used-chumming on an outgoing tide and casting to the fish when they show up.
if you would like some really knowlegable info on techniques, at least for conventional fishing,from which you can make the appropriate adjustments, just pm me and i'll put you in contact with a friend who is knowlegable and very experienced. neal

BigDave
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
sean you probably have already seen this but there's a good read on FFSW about sharks on the fly. it's one of the old articles but has some good info...

josko
07-25-2008, 06:55 AM
I'll be doing a lot of shark tagging for the rest of the summer, and often have room for a person or two. I definitely have room for one tomorrow (7/26) and on Tuesday, 7/29. You may have to put up with some inexperienced taggers but will almost certainly have fly shots at a shark or three.
I could certainly use someone who can show me how to tease up a shark to a fly or otherwise get them to take.
We leave out of Woods Hole.

josko
07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I just realized that chumming is not allowed for IGFA-legal fly fishing. If that's correct , I don't even pretend to know how to catch a pelagic shark on a fly in New England.
Do the guides who claim sharks on fly locally really do it without placing chum inthe water?

Edit: I stand corrected. It's only mammal-derived chum that's illegal.