Refuge Reports? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Refuge Reports?

BigDave
07-01-2008, 08:45 AM
I haven't been able to make it down to the flats yet this season but am going to give it a shot later this week/next week. Is the fishing as slow as the lack of reports would indicate? Are there still bass roaming the SB flats or are the cooler waters of NM the place to be? Last report I heard indicated school bass and lots of bluefish. Anybody still fishing out there?

Dave

striblue
07-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Dave, North Monomoy...summer mode. If the Rip Trip does not go off and Keith still goes out I expect to go there atleast for the morning. I also think some people are simply not posting reports, despite the slowness I know fish are being caught but no one is saying.

Cole
07-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I fished the evening flood on this past Sunday (only about 2 hrs) along Morris Island. Third cast I got into a pretty good sized blue fish. Later, as the noseeums started coming out I noticed a group of feeding schoolies just around the corner from the inlet. I ended up with 3 fish 20-24" out of that group. All in all I'd say things seem about 'normal' for this time of year (also my first time out since last year, as I've been stuck in San Diego!).

Mike Oliver
07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
BigDave,

I am a bit out of kilter time wise as I fished NM twice in the middle of June 2008 but I can tell you that the water was very warm especially on the west side flats. I saw about 7 fish, caught a fat zero. Went out again and had three fish blind casting which is not really why we go to Monomoy. I never knew this fishery before the cut closed up and the colder water stopped coming in. I only have two trips this year so not a large amount of data to go on. My view is that for the guys who truly know their way around Monomoy there is still good fishing to be had. I reckon your average fisher (like me ) is going to struggle to find fish. But it is a fine challange.

Mike

BigDave
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Sounds like the refuge fishery continues to be in a state of decline. Still one of the few places you can actually sight fish for large stripers in the traditional way. I did not make it out last week but will at some point before the end of summer. I hope the place rebounds to it's former glory. The SB flats were truly a world class fishery in their prime. Hopefully we will see that again someday...

juro
07-08-2008, 07:55 PM
SHOVEL CLAVE

All members must attend. Location: Southway.

Bring a shovel. :lildevl:

BigDave
07-09-2008, 09:11 AM
maybe if adrian rakes enough clams down there he can open it back up :D

juro
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
haha

For variety, I would like to see the tub open up at the top for a while and connect to Chatham Inlet like the old days, but with the old and new breaks to open sea intact.

That would make the original Nauset strip three parts - north beach, middle or Nauset Island and South "Island".

It would bring tumultuous times back to the refuge and transient meccas would pop up with every storm or moon tide in the constantly shifting and scrubbed white sands.

Both migratory pushes would ransack the structure and life would be good at the elbow.

GO ADRIAN!!! :)

Adrian
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Hmmmm, Looks like I'm gonna to need a bigger rake :Eyecrazy: