RIP TRIP SIGN UP - July 4th Weekend [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RIP TRIP SIGN UP - July 4th Weekend


striblue
06-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Well, let's try again.... hopefully we can pull off one day during the comming weekend. It also appears that the midweek tries just don't generate enough people...but we can keep those options open going forward. Let me know on this thread whether you are interested and can make a July 5 and/or 6 trip. Keith is not running on the 4th....so my thinking is a Saturday trip with backup on Sunday is the only open period. Those who can not make a Sunday trip should say so now and we can fill it with those who can. I will just post the list in this first thread. The current weather is looking good and tides should be "ok"...just afternoon lows instead of morning. A week day , like a Monday might work if we have the people. If I go on a Saturday I will not make the Sunday...but if we have enough, we can go Sunday as the backup or, if a successful Saturday...then as a second trip.... Anyway: (ALSO SIGN IN EVEN IF THE 10 NUMBER IS MET)

JULY 5

1) striblue
2) flydoc
3) Sean Juan
4) FishHawk
5) Adrian
6) highway61
7) Penguin
8) CSJ60
9) PEC54
10) Splake


JULY 6

1) striblue
2) flydoc
3) Sean Juan
4) Adrian
5) highway61

flydoc
06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm up for Saturday, with Sunday as back up if Saturday falls through.
Flydoc

P.S.- John- tide charts linked through Keith's site indicates negative low (-0.5 ft) at about 8 AM, and 4 ft high at about 2:30 PM- looks good to me!

Sean Juan
06-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Sign me up...

Either day is fine - I learned my lesson the 4th is no weekend to be in a yak.

striblue
06-28-2008, 02:15 PM
FishHawk called me and asked that I put him in ...he will confirm later today. I asked that he still should sign in.

FishHawk
06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I can't do Sun. but Sat looks ok for me at this point. FishHawk:smokin:

Paxton
06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
John...is Friday an option???...a lot of people have that day off.
Ron

striblue
06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Ron, Friday is the 4th...Keith is not running on that day.

Paxton
06-28-2008, 09:01 PM
DUH!!! John...you can't see it, but my face is red :Eyecrazy:
I need to look at a calendar once in a while.
Ron

Adrian
06-29-2008, 07:31 AM
I am ok for both Saturday and Sunday

highway61
06-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm good for either saturday or sunday.

Steve

jfbasser
06-30-2008, 06:54 AM
As the World Turns starts another series

juro
06-30-2008, 07:19 AM
It certainly does take an alignment of many things to pull off a trip to Monomoy Point doesn't it.

However the dirty dozen or so who make it usually catch more big fish in a tide change than most daytime anglers catch in a month of hard fishing, for some a whole season.

And this on a fly and in a setting that is as raw and pure as any in modern times without buying an airline ticket and schlepping bags to some remote place. Within short drive from a cold beer and steamers at the Squire too.

Maybe the series should be called "Good things don't come easy".

striblue
06-30-2008, 07:43 AM
John, as you know I deleted your two other posts and now you insist on reposting your sarcastic remarks intended to belittle and ridicule the efforts made by everyone involved in these trips. ( sarcasm -veiled hostility or anger) Since it has nothing to do with bait fishing or "the ditch " and you don't sign up for these since they don't interest you you should do what I do when I see posts that don't interest me, like those about the Canal...I agnore them and don't read them. I don't sit around thinking about sarcastic ways to put down others for fun. If you are not interested in this schduling thread why in the world would you continue to do this ? I am asking you to stay off this thread unless you have something helpful to others or are interestred in going, otherwise please stop reposting meaningless wisea** mocking of others on this Forum. Now should I list you as one of those who want to go?

striblue
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Ok...now back to the scheduling. I just spoke with penguin and he is on for Saturday and will post when he gets back home.

jfbasser
06-30-2008, 11:52 AM
John, as you know I deleted your two other posts and now you insist on reposting your sarcastic remarks intended to belittle and ridicule the efforts made by everyone involved in these trips. ( sarcasm -veiled hostility or anger) Since it has nothing to do with bait fishing or "the ditch " and you don't sign up for these since they don't interest you you should do what I do when I see posts that don't interest me, like those about the Canal...I agnore them and don't read them. I don't sit around thinking about sarcastic ways to put down others for fun. If you are not interested in this schduling thread why in the world would you continue to do this ? I am asking you to stay off this thread unless you have something helpful to others or are interestred in going, otherwise please stop reposting meaningless wisea** mocking of others on this Forum. Now should I list you as one of those who want to go?

I actually signed up for two a few years ago that were cancelled and could have gone off. Given that most prepare to go the night before anyway and will fish somewhere else if it doesn't go off....Why not make the call the morning of on better data? I won't comment on your comment about bait and the Ditch.

Warren
06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
I deleted the earlier comments I posted here. Since this is a sign up thread I save my comments on other subjects for their proper place.

striblue
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Warren, I just PM'd you...anyway we now have 7 for Saturday and my son might come to make 8... let's see how we do by the end of the week. If we can't pull this off I will post week to week until we do and have the numbers.

Penguin
06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm in for Saturday...
(regrets...NOT Sunday)

Warren...
If things fill up and you get aced out, you can have my spot on short notice...

Warren
06-30-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm in for Saturday...
(regrets...NOT Sunday)

Warren...
If things fill up and you get aced out, you can have my spot on short notice...


Pete, Thanks for the kind gesture, however I cannot make it down this weekend in any event. I have been shanghaied into staying home & doing family things. Besides the Cape might be a good place to avoid this weekend.

Sean Juan
06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Well if it does become a soap opera I have dibbs on the name "Rex Danger"

CSJ60
06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Put me down for Saturday only, driving off the Cape on Sunday, July 4th weekend, priceless!!!! I don't have that much money or time.

PEC54
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Hopefully we won't go 3 up and 3 down, I'm in for Saturday.

FishHawk
07-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Paul I'm bringing the two hander , it's been a long time since it's had a reel workout .:hihi: Perhaps you can help me master the line release . :D
FishHawk

striblue
07-01-2008, 07:53 AM
It seems we have August weather now....if that humidity does not leave we may be 3 down...so we keep trying. With all the cancellations.., if there are more cancellations. I might go mid week alone if necessary at some point and see if say 5 guys are willing at some point. It looks like we can do only Saturday....but I would put the Saturday plans as a second thing to do on the list of planned events since I am hearing that t-storms are also possible for Saturday. I don't think we will have the numbers for Sunday.

Splake
07-01-2008, 09:04 AM
I got the OK. Please sign me up for Saturday.

PEC54
07-01-2008, 09:10 AM
If the rip trip doesn't go off ( but we know it will; right)Will anyone be around to sample the flats, I think it's been a good 6 years since I really spent any time there ,I've got some new shrimp flies I've been working on that need a good testing.

striblue
07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Paul..I expect to go over to NM for some flats fish (bring some crab flies too) if the rip does not go off. I will go on Sunday anyway . I will also be at the light house at about 4:30 or 5 to check it out on Sunday..then to the ferry for the 8am...but need to check if there is an outgoing tide. I have ignored the light house for the last couple years... and see no one fishing...it is either dead...or... no one is fishing to tell if it is actually dead.... we don't know.

Adrian
07-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Paul, John et al ..

I am in Chatham for the w/e too.

My only sight fishing on the flats this year has been a couple of hours one morning with Craig and Jim at Hardings.

I am overdue!

John, we have minus tides:smokin:

Stage Harbor tides this w/e:



Fr 4 High 1:10 AM 4.9 5:11 AM Rise 6:45 AM 0
4 Low 7:29 AM -0.6 8:17 PM Set 9:47 PM
4 High 1:54 PM 4.2
4 Low 7:40 PM -0.1

Sa5 High 2:05 AM 4.8 5:12 AM Rise 8:03 AM 4
5 Low 8:21 AM -0.5 8:17 PM Set 10:16 PM
5 High 2:47 PM 4.2
5 Low 8:34 PM -0.0

Su6 High 2:59 AM 4.7 5:12 AM Rise 9:17 AM 10
6 Low 9:11 AM -0.4 8:17 PM Set 10:41 PM
6 High 3:39 PM 4.2
6 Low 9:28 PM 0.0

striblue
07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Adrian...any interest in checking out the light house on Sunday morning/....before any trip out to NM?

Adrian
07-01-2008, 10:49 AM
John

Sounds good - it's been a while since I put a big bend in the CND 11/11 :smokin:

Is the coffee shop open at 04:30?

striblue
07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Adrian...not sure about Sandi's but Larry's PX would be open... also... we may make the call earlier this week about going at all to the Rip... The weather report I just saw on the news looks bad...I have not checked NOAA but I may not even have to....I will start a thread later on the weekend for the following weekend. One of these weekends will payoff I suspect...but I have to say that this is the reason to try to schedule these on a weekly basis because of the cancellations despite how annoying the scheduling threads maybe to some people.

Sean Juan
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
John,

What specific weather cancels the trip? Or is it a combination of factors? I seem to recall that it's a strong SW wind - but is it more of a strong wind BEFORE the actual trip that kicks up the seas or does that not matter.

I suspose lightning is never a good thing either, but thats really only a problem for the tallest guy with a two-handed rod.

striblue
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Sean... the way it has happened though the years is that it is the strong SW wind that is key...so when you see forcasts that say 10 to 15... that "usually" means.15 to 25 by afternoon. So even a nice blue bird day can cancel if that wind is up or going to be up... As you know early morning winds do not necessarily tell us that it will be the same by afternoon and usually the opposite...If it is humid and hot, but hazy and basically a nice day...you know the winds will pick up... that is the key factor.... rain... usually steady ran where Keith will not run is a factor ...light rain may work but we have never gone down in a light steady rain... it is usually canceled.... then you have the T-storm potential as a third factor... keith will not leave us down there if there is possibility of T and L..... We have gone down with t-storms up in Boston where the weather focast said so but none anticipated for the south shore... In that case if we go down, Keith will call and let me know if he has made the decision to pick us up early at the regular drop off spot if that become neccassary with any sudden change in weather... this might also be the case where we just did not anticipate strong SW winds in the afternoon...all looked good ... but the winds just came up and in that case he will call to pick us up early. The problem I see is this constant weather pattern we have been having for the last couple weeks...... Hot, Humid and t-storms... that heat and humidity is a almost certain precurser to High SW winds and then T-storms. Basically the best times to go down are clear and DRY... even cloudy and dry.... or north wind, east wind... but again ...not too strong..... Sorry for all the ramble...but this is the story. Most of us remember the types of days we pulled off.... we also remember some early pickups.... and then the 8 mile walk.... that problem is because there are only a couple places where a boat can land on that island by Refuge rules.... Powder hole.... a just north of the powder hole and the north tip of the Island... High winds will prevent him from landing with the potential of beaching the boat. Hope this helps. I need to speak with Keith about the Light House situation... can it be used...so that we can do an overnight. Finally, If we could get more guys we can seriously look at mid week times and increase the ability to get down there...instead of these weekend only trips. And how about this one... we can go down at anytime . except for t-storms...if we all agreed that we would do the 8 mile walk to the north tip... although this sounds rediculious... maybe not if we spend the day...fishing the rip and then walking to the north tip and fishing all the way...not that bad an idea actually...it is the steady walk that is more tiring than if we did a "stop and go" type walk by starting out early taking our time and just fishing the entire west side.... I remember during our walk a couple years back where Juro spoted a fish and hooked that nice striper...I was in no mood to fish at that time as I plodded along...but if I took most of the day to do it...I don't think it would be that bad... we must walk about 1/2 that distance on a regular North Monomoy trip anyway.. The agony is having to start the walk at 4PM after keith says he can't make it down....IMHO

flydoc
07-02-2008, 02:48 AM
I suspose lightning is never a good thing either, but thats really only a problem for the tallest guy with a two-handed rod.

Or if Fred is holding up a freshly wetted finger....:Eyecrazy:
Flydoc

Adrian
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
I just took a peek at NOAA and Saturday looks like a blowout (Big SW Wind and T/L combo).

Sunday looks like the better day at the moment.

Of course all of this can change and almost certainly will....

striblue
07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
We don't have enough people for Sunday right now...unless we up the cost per person. I am prepared to bag it and ...once again... move it up another week.

Sean Juan
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
The afternoons do cause the wind to pick up...too bad we just can't avoid them by going and comming back earlier.

Or what about a death-march sign up?

striblue
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Sean...we could do that.... also...I am still getting mixed reports...one is for rain...the other dry...NOAA wiil be the check tomorrow. I still need to speak with Keith and will do so tomorrow. Lets see where we stand tomorrow night.

highway61
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
John........I can do a rip trip anyday next week except for friday.....

Steve

flydoc
07-03-2008, 02:05 AM
It's either this weekend or wait 'til August for me....we are ostensibly still on for the Big Brother/Sister outing on the 13th, and I can't justify fishing both days that weekend with my medical boards coming up on the 26th, and being on duty the weekend of the 19th...have to do at least a few days of studying, or I may find myself flipping burgers at Wendys later this year:razz:
I'll check back Friday night to see what the final say is for Saturday or Sunday.
Thanks to John for at least trying to get this off the ground....I was spoiled with multiple rip trips last season, so I can wait for whenever the next one comes together this year.
Flydoc

striblue
07-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Jim..Understood and most of our trips last year were later in the season anyway. I am heading down the Cape this morning and will get back to everyone after I talk to keith today and tomorrow. I will make every attempt to make the decision early Friday night.

juro
07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Big Brother is a definite for Sunday 13th.

striblue
07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I just spoke to keith and it's 3:30 on Thursday and we are CANCELLED all weekend. I will set up a formal sign up for the 19 and 20 and not for the Sat of the Big Brother weekend. If there is anyone interested, and is on the Cape for next Saturday ,let me know and I , for one, would be willing to go down for the day with 1/2 of the number we need... with 5 that's $100 each...more would be better...just let me know . The formal sign up for the 19th and 20th will be after the Big Bros. weekend.

Paxton
07-03-2008, 03:29 PM
John..I'm in for next Saturday....I haven't spoken to Garry but I'm sure he would want to go as well. I will check with him later tonight.
John, as far as Garry and I are concerned...we would be interested in going with a "full" boat" or really close...100 a piece is out of the question for us sad to say.
I feel bad that this weekend was cancelled and I wasn't even available.
This weather pattern is absolutely terrible...yesterday I finished mowing the lawn while being pelted with 1/2 inch hail.....at least it was a new experience :)
Ron

Warren
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
John,
As I am coming down for Big brother weekend I would be interested in a Saturday trip, even at double occupancy, providing the cash flows in as projected.

striblue
07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Well with Me, Paxton , Garry and Warren we are almost half way....I take it back, I will do a separate post and put you three in and see what develops.

Rip Ryder
07-04-2008, 05:51 PM
John

I couldn't have explained it any better myself. This particular year getting all this H, H and Humid weather is going to be a problem. We are in one of those La Nina or La Neno years again. If the North East is going to get a Hurricane this is our year according the NOAA. The "LA" condition we are are in now is the same that brought the big Hurricanes of 38', 54' and Hurricane Bob of 1991. What that means for us is we are going to have this SW steering current most if not all summer. The nice dry NW or even better cooling East winds will most likely be fare and few between until fall.
The other thing that is making this difficult is GAS $$$. Making the decision the day before is taking out the last minute forcast change. For example, the last trip we called the day before with the forecast of SW5-10, 10-15, 15-20 depending on which station you listend too at 6pm. The morning of the trip everyone finally agreed on 5-10 and we never saw anything over 5 all day. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive down for nothing at $4 and change, but you may have to give a lot to get a lot, that extra 24 hours can bring changes for the good or bad.
Hense why we use to do the regular shuttle as a back up if the forecast changed overnight.

John and I will do our best to get the trip in with the info we are given, that's a given.

Capt Keith

sradin
07-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I can make Sunday. I assume the details will be posted if it is a "go".

Sam