NEXT RIP TRIPS-Jun27 to Jul2 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NEXT RIP TRIPS-Jun27 to Jul2


striblue
06-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I just pick out 6 days for scheduling and have spoken with Keith... we will have lows during the full day on each date...some in Morning some in afternoon. I will use this thread to figure out numbers. I will not use the term "backup" days and just see who can make any of these days and create a list. So please indicate which days you can make.... as soon as a day has 10 people... I will fill the next. Once the list are created... we can then whittle it down as to who can only go once or twice.... and reconfigure the list as we go.. I know some of you will list several days, but if you go on one you might not be able to go on one of the others you list as available...but this is a starting point. Look at the tides yourselves... and the dates will be, June 27, 28, 29, 30, July 1 and 2.... once this is done we can look at the holiday weekend and move week to week as we go. Thanks

striblue
06-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Ok Here is a start:

Thursday, June 27
1)highway61
2) JSims
3) FishHawk



Friday, June 28
1) Striblue
2) JSims
3) FishHawk




Saturday, June 29
1) striblue
2) JSims
3) Adrian
4) CSJ60
5) vtloon
6) Gseries69
7) Juro
8) PEC54
9) FishHawk
10) Paxton
11) Gary


Sunday, June 30
1) striblue
2) Neal (nmbrown)
3) vtloon
4) Adrian
5) CSJ60
6) Paxton?
7) Gary?
8) Simms
9) Warren


Monday, July 1
1) striblue
2) Neal (nmbrown)
3) vtloon
4) CSJ60



Tuesday, July 2
1) CJS60
2) vtloon



I am assuming Jim Simms will be able to do the others.... and we know that some of these may end up cancelled...so please put in ANY dates you think you can make it..this way we will have the backup days and participants set up....with the knowledge that if we pull one off we may need to amend the participant list for those who have signed on but can not make two...let me know if this is not clear...we need to be flexible and keep an eye on this for everyones planning purposes. For example, I know I can't do all 4 I signed on for...but I could make any of those dates if necessary. When you post I will amend the list in the order I see the post in the thread lineup.

highway61
06-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I can do thursday or friday.

Steve

jimS
06-22-2008, 01:29 PM
John, me thinks you've got an excellent idea for consecutive day rip trips. A few years back, we had eight weekends in a row that we had to cancel due to weather. I can do Thursday or Friday, maybe Saturday or Sunday. I'm off cape beginning Monday. It's almost a given that if we have the numbers, at least one or more trips will be a go.

If you've been sitting on the sidelines and wondering what's the big deal about a rip trip, you owe it to yourself to experience one of the most pristine locations in the northeast. The rip on both incoming and outgoing tides brushes the shoreline at the southwest corner of S. Monomoy. It can be epic when the bait tumbles in the rip and stripers/blues arrive for the foodfest.

striblue
06-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Jim, I will put you in for thursday and friday and might as well for Saturday...I suspect you are going to need Sunday to orgainize things..... we will relook the other days as well get there. I am editing this thread... I forgot to say, and I think this is important....If you see, as the days go by, that one day has 10 guys...You should IGNORE the number and still indicate your availability. Since this is ultimatly a juggling act.... we will have time , and still use fairness in the participant list. Even with a 10 count...some might have to drop out...or the cancellation thing ..etc. etc...SO PLEASE post anyway ALL your dates...OK?

FishHawk
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I could do Thurs the 27th . Can't do the July trips. FishHawk

Warren
06-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I am out for all dates, too busy with work to get out. I will be back on the Cape for Big Brother day if that is a go.

vtloon
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I intend to come down that weekend. My ideal dates would be the30th or the 1st.the 29th or the 2nd would be possible but more of a stretch. Also eyeballing a Bluefin day 29th or 30th, but that's nowhere near confirmed. Also, I'd love to do two days if it works out that way.

Adrian
06-23-2008, 06:59 AM
I can make Saturday or Sunday

CSJ60
06-23-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm good for Saturday 6/28, Sunday 6/29, Monday 6/30 or Tuesday 7/1.

juro
06-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Count me in for Sat or Sun - one / other thanks

striblue
06-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Revisions have been made...please just check and let me know if I have anything wrong.

Gseries69
06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Count me in for a Saturday attempt.

PEC54
06-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Kindly include me in for Saturday; thank you.

FishHawk
06-24-2008, 05:32 AM
I"m in for Sat also. FishHawk. I could also do Fri.

striblue
06-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Unless we get more sign ups, the weekday ones don't look good, atleast this time around.

striblue
06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
It is looking like Thursday and Friday are cancelled because of numbers. I need to leave this to Jim Simms if he can get numbers up today or tomorrow for Friday. It looks like we can pull off Saturday and Sunday. If Saturday is cancelled, we will fill the slots on Sunday with the Sunday sign ups. We still need four more for Sunday. If we pull Saturday off we will need commitements for those who went on Saturday to go on Sunday....if we can't get the Sunday numbers up we will probabaly be off....unless the Sunday crew is willing to pay up the difference because of the numbers.. Monday and Tuesday is on hold until the weekend to see what develops.....Got that? I hope... ( I would bet that Jim Simms will go on Sunday if Saturday is off....also I got a PM from Gary (Polareyes) that he and Paxton will probably go on the weekend if the weather is good...I asked that they post...so with Simms and them we are close with Sunday numbers. Even with 11 on Saturday...maybe Keith and squeeze one more on...if not I will drop out of Saturday. I have the option to go out for Tuna on any day this weekend with my son and his friends. (8 caught this morning)

vtloon
06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm definitely good for both Sat and Sunday.

Adrian
06-25-2008, 10:10 AM
John, I am also good for both Saturday and Sunday.

striblue
06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Great...I am in for Sunday also....the tides look good...not minus tides but on the line...Saturday we will have a high at 7:48 AM (about) with a low about 1:48 PM.....moving it up about one hour for Sunday...

FishHawk
06-25-2008, 08:14 PM
It's Sat. for me , can't do Sunday. Can you let us know early on Fri. .eve . if the trip is a go or not ? . Thanks for your putting this togeter. FishHawk

striblue
06-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Bill, I am heading to Plymouth Thursday eve and will be playing golf on Friday...so I will post late friday night if we are on or not...the weather does not look good for Sunday...so I will make the call for Sunday on Saturday with Keith...if we don't go on Saturday I may go out for Tuna on Saturday.....probably will...only 30 miles to the lanes. Anyway, I will keep everyone posted...Also, It looks like we will not have enough for Mon and Tuesday...so I will start the process again for the 4th of July weekend.....

FishHawk
06-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks John. Tight lines on the Tuna. Perhaps we'll have to call you Mr. Tuna:hihi: ;) :D

striblue
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
I am waitung for a call from Keith this morning to talk about Saturday weather...I would hope to post ASAP...with a final post on friday night. We will also talk about Sunday...but I am hopeful there are no T storms or rain...but initial reports look like problems for Sunday. Stay turned.

polareyez
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Paxton and I will be there Saturday.

striblue
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok..so we are filled for Saturday...I will confirm the time for departure. Last time we left a little after 7 instead of 7:30 because Keith had a number of seal trips and needed to get back earlier for those pickups. I would expect everyone should be at the refuge atleast by 6:30 AM one way or another. I don't know the pickup hour but it will probably be between 4 and 4:30 at the dropoff (Powder hole). More later.

juro
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
John,

I am not able to do Sunday.

thanks

polareyez
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
John- Once again thanks for organising the trip. If you get to go out for tuna I hope you get to meet Charlie the Tuna up close and personal...

Gseries69
06-26-2008, 01:31 PM
JimS or VTLoon,

I will call Friday night to confirm we are still good to go on Sat. Will be on the road w/ no access to site fourm.

juro
06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
BTW - if anyone is looking for a seat on the Sat AM express reply to this post. I have a lot of conflicts going on this weekend and but will pay if no one else can take the spot.

CSJ60
06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Looks good


weather.gov
National Weather Service
NANTUCKET SOUND-
1256 PM EDT THU JUN 26 2008


FRI
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT EARLY IN
THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

FRI NIGHT
W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

SAT
W WINDS AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING S IN THE LATE MORNING AND
AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

SAT NIGHT
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. PATCHY FOG.
VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

Warren
06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
John, I can come on Sunday now as things have changed. Is there room?

striblue
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Yes Warren... The only Question is if there will be enough numbers to pull Sunday off or if not, do those who want to go on Sunday want to pay up to the numbers. I will sign you up.

Warren
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
OK John,
Keep us posted. It is not life or death, I figured if there was room & the weather is cooperative I would drive down for a shot at the rip.
I have plenty of other stuff that I have been neglecting to do if it does not work out.

I am willing to pay my share to cover the extra cost if need be

Adrian
06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm happy to stump up the extra $ for Sunday too, assuming the weather cooperates and you need the numbers.

striblue
06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I spoke with Keith a few moments ago and it looks "iffy" for Saturday because of the t-storms in the afternoon, and Sunday looks bad right now. He will post if it is a cancellation on Saturday. I will also watch and post tomorrow night after I speak with Keith again.....whether this works out or not I will start a thread for the 4th of July holiday weekend...Keith will be running each day except the 4th

Paxton
06-26-2008, 07:59 PM
John....I think we all appreciate your intention to do a the Friday call (on or off) for the saturday Rip Trip...given the length of travel of many of us and poor fishing options if we don't go and it's cloudy or T-Storms....I for one, would hate to drive there Saturday morning and find out it's a no.

I'll let you know soon re availablity for future mid week dates...I am in the middle of destroying our kitchen and bathroom in prep of a contactor coming to make it pretty once more:) The "starter" home we bought 38 yrs ago will soon be a "finisher" home. Sad to say...the demo work has killed my back.

Thanks for all your efforts in attempting to arrange a good time for us.

Given this yr's weather pattern...we would have better luck finding a stock this morning that went up today :)

Ron

striblue
06-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Ron, I certainly don't blame you one bit.....also with the fishing conditions the way they are the rip would be, in my opinion , the best option...including that entire west side....but.... I am hopeful to get the word out early or mid day tomorrow and Keith should also post. As you know we usually wait till the last moment...but these weather conditions leave much to be desired...another reason to keep trying to set these up on a weekly basis.... I am also hopeful that with the holiday weekend we can do a mid week or a Thursday (July3) or a Monday or tuesday on the otherside of the weekend...I will also post to see how many can make the Sat and Sun of the holiday weekend... As I see it, if we can pull ONE off its a win.

Paxton
06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
John...Keith told me the other day that he believed that the west side of SM was closed to the low tide mark due to nesting birds.....next lifetime, I'm coming back as a nesting bird and fish the west side of SM everyday :) Why aren't humans a "protected" species...well.....guess that would be another thread :)
Ron

vtloon
06-26-2008, 10:16 PM
I'd be ok with bumping up the fee on Sunday if our numbers end up shy.

juro
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
We are going to have to call it one way or the other tonight. It's not fair for people to pony up $100 in gas, another $100 for a hotel room with $50 more in the pocket to find out it's been called off in the parking lot that morning.

The only fair way is to post a final status by 5:45pm the previous night which is just before hotel cancellation deadline.

thanks
Juro

striblue
06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Juro, I will make that call with Keith tonite..not in the parking lot...I agree, I would not want that . Keep in mind we have had some cancellation the very morning because of "over night" weather changes. Keith still can takes us out, but not to the rip. I have every intention of making that call, but I am not sure I can make it by 5:45. Naturally, if anyone feels that they need to know by that time...they can cancel any hotel reservations they have and can simply stay with me at CAC to accomodate that potential problem. I am still getting conflicting weather reports...but all that self reseach means nothing since it is ultimately keiths call and he has indicated that we will know tonight. I looked at the list and I know Craig is staying with JimS, some guys are already down the cape, Paxton and Garry will make there decision tonight, so I don't know for sure who is planning a hotel stay...I would expect that you (Juro) will stay at CAC...no kids down this weekend. I hate complicating all this but I don't know any other way to get this done. This morning , in Plymouth, it is hazy, hot and humid and I am feeling a fairly strong SE,SW "breeze"....as usual for high humidity... so absent any changes... I will bet we will be off....so on to the Holiday weekend. Ed has been telling me that Keith took 7 guys out this morning and they are going back to Minimoy and it has been quite productive there....so all I can do is my best in trying to pull this off. PS...Ron, the west side I am referring to is the mile distance from the drop off to the rip...which is open.

juro
06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks John.

I will check the site later.

Warren
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
John, Just to clear up my situation.

Providing there is a Sunday trip.

I will be leaving here at 0300 Sunday morning, as I have a family gathering Saturday and cannot make it down Saturday night. So the earliest warning for a Sunday no go would be beneficial for me. However I am fully aware of the risk and will not hold a grudge if we cancel at the parking lot. If I drive down & the weather is against me as usual, I'll just fish the flats. Pretty simple eh?

jimS
06-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Capt. Keith has cancelled both trips as a result of building SW winds in the afternoon. Sorry guys, but we are at the whims of mother nature. Pickup on S. Monomoy with building seas, particularly SW wind, is nearly impossible. We can land, but the 8-mile walk back to the north tip is not for everyone.

The fallback plan would be N. opnomoy. The common flats are fishing well, and the chopper blues are in, big time. Keith will be going to N. Monomoy in the a.m. at 8 a.m.

Striblue is going to try trips the July 4th arena, so let him know your desires.

Adrian
06-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up Jin and Cap'n Kieth.

I'll take a pass this w/e and try next week end.

Warren
06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks Jim,
I'll stay up North & work on the honey do list for once. I'll see you boys at the Big Brother event. God willin' & the crick don't rise.

striblue
06-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Ok...sorry everyone...but this is the drill as usual.... so...I will post several days during the 4th of July weekend...the 4th is out..keith is not running....so let's try again. I am probably driving home to Winchester from Plymouth now...tonight...I am not even up for North monomoy with those winds...which are now blowing 10 here in Plymouth.... and will be down in Chatham by Wednesday night to Tuesday the following week.

Paxton
06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
John....your efforts are appreciated! "Gusting to 29mph" does not sound like a great day on the flats...so I will continue my assault on the kitchen remodeling.
Will let you know re Friday.
Ron

FishHawk
06-28-2008, 05:04 AM
John, thanks for your effort in getting the Rip Trip going. :smokin: Seems as if we can't seem to get one off the ground. But when we do we'll it will be one for the books.
We'll remember this when we are sitting around the CAC talking about the good old days.:hihi: :chuckle: FishHawk

Warren
06-28-2008, 05:44 AM
.so I will continue my assault on the kitchen remodeling.




Ron you poor devil, I did that a couple of years back and I am still suffering the mental wounds:hihi: :hihi: But the kitchen came out great!

vtloon
06-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Just got back to Vermont. Despite the disappointment of no rip, had a great weekend fishing the flats with Jim S, CSJ and Fishhawk. I learned a tremendous amount and caught my best fly-rod Striper yet (which Craig spotted for me). On Sat, after a petite breakfast at Grumpy's we went out on the flats......then a 70 ft vis fog rolled in, and we had a front row seat for the Googan Follies. The Follies included: a 24' Proline running aground to dry keel on a falling tide; jeeps breaking axles; an invisible spin- fisher man landing a plug 20 ft from me; and (best of all) two knuckleheads in a Bayliner who bounced up along the bar asking each fisherman "Hey, do you know which way to the Ocean Edge Resort?".

Sean Juan
06-30-2008, 05:39 PM
All Hail Craig...

Sayings of Chairman Craig # 72

"Fish of a lifetime is a common term used by common fishermen, the fish of your lifetime swim in the innumerable schools of my experience."