SOT Eval [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SOT Eval

vtloon
06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
All of a sudden my wife is on the hunt for a SOT. It probably started last week in the Adirondacks when she saw how easily I could get in my Tarpon 120. It definitely hit high gear when she had a bit of difficulty getting back into her SINK after a little island stop. She went from an ill-advised side-saddle mount to a near perfect backwards 1/2 Eskimo Roll. Perfect execution: body underwater in the muck, feet flailing in the air, kayak upside down, dog barking, her brother & I howling with laughter.....at least a 9.0!

So now I could use some user inputs on the various SOTS (10-12 ft) , I have the Tarpon and like it (except for the ridiculous cottage-cheese lid hatch cover) and had an older Ocean Kayak tandem, but that's all.

Warren
06-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Heritage Redfish is another option Todd. I just bought a 14 footer & love it. They are available in 10, 12 & 14 foot lengths. Standard or Angler packages. Goggle Heritage Kayak

BTW Todd I was in the Adirondack High Peaks region last weekend hiking. Nice place to explore.

Sean Juan
07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
One thing I would definitely look for are how she likes the various styles of foot rests.

An SOT will take some more effort to move than a lighter SIK, and good technique makes a world of difference.

The Cobra and Prowler designs have molded foot wells - the tarpon the adjustable peg.

I only mention it because its not the thing a lot of people will think about when first evaluating them.

I love my Heritage - Latino-Irish I mean how can you beat that?

vtloon
07-03-2008, 10:01 AM
We ended up getting her a Heritage 12 ft Redfish It has adjustable footpegs and she likes the cockpit design. It does weigh about twice that of her little 10" Perception Sonoma, so more exercise and fewer backflips.

highway61
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I recently purchased a yak from Penguin (which btw pete the yak is great!) After our North Country excursion, my wife now wants her own kayak. She was using a small perception, but had some trouble getting in and out of the cockpit, but not as dramatically as VT loon's wife.:D My concern about SOT's is that they don't provide any cover allowing the user to get wet. Now on a warm summer day that is not a problem, but on cooler days it can be a serious problem, especially for my wife. Soooo my question is, which yak w/cockpit is easiest getting in and out of or are they all the same and it is simply a matter of technique?

Steve

Warren
07-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Waders & a rain jacket keep me dry or even a rain suit would work.