Doin' it again! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Doin' it again!

juro
07-31-2000, 08:10 AM
The first, third and last weekends in August look good, you know why. If we lean toward the last there may be some 'noids in the picture. Someone might pull off the shore slam... wouldn't that be freakin' incredible. In fact we should throw an extra five into the pot to fund a slam award - a gift certificate from the shop who offers the best incremental dollar value to our contribution, for instance.

Same rules, please post here if interested. Include preferred weekend. Unlike the official sign-up this is just an initial headcount. The official sign-up will be a commitment, to follow after we assess the interest.

Juro

jeffg
07-31-2000, 08:21 AM
If the third weekend in August is the 19th, I might actually finally make one of these trips!

Nick
07-31-2000, 08:43 AM
Juro, I am down for any weekend in August. I can't wait after reading your reports from the last adventure.

i'm so outta here
07-31-2000, 08:57 AM
Ditto! Almost any weekend in August would work for me. We take occupancy of the Dennis cottage on Sat. Aug. 26. That's the only day I couldn't make it. Sunday would work.

BTW, funny how the same object can vary in appearance depending on the perspective from which it's viewed. This parallax shift led me to report a much different experience in the 7 hours prior to the big rip blitz. Sorry if I offended anyone's sense of reality.

Next time, I will definitely know to stay put near the big rip. There's nothing much in the way of structure beyond or before it.

Hawkeye
07-31-2000, 09:33 AM
Oh yeah! I'm in. Any weekend other than the 12 - 13th that is. A shore slam would just be awesome!

juro
07-31-2000, 09:35 AM
Al -

But what IS reality? Your iron will to circumnavigate the island led to a deeper understanding of the essence of a very cool place, vicious in some ways (the gulls?!?) and as smooth and comfortable as the driftwood log and the soft sand around it at the same time. Water that was fishy yet void of life one moment, then violent and full of arm-wrenching linebackers the next.

The most important 'reality' was the dose you gave to the poacher. You were HOT! Wouldn't want to get in your way when you get that way... I'd say you definitely made your point.

! barely 48 hours later and we're halfway there! (I am mentally still there)

bigcat988
07-31-2000, 10:27 AM
I'm in,any week works for me . Almost time for the funny fish YEAH.

grego
07-31-2000, 10:27 AM
Since I missed out on the last run, I'm in. I was still feeling Crappy (litterally) on Friday & with the lack of facilities on Monomoy, well... Al also told me that there were no no-shows & the boat was full.

If the next trip does turn out to be the week of the 26th Al & I will probably end up in Divorce Court, but on the plus side my boat will be at Bass River that week.

On Sunday my wife & I drove up North, out of the rain. I fished the Mousem at the bottom of the tide. There was about a dozen SWFF guys there & not a single bent rod. I also scouted the Biddeford side of the Saco & found a very nice public launch on 9 & 208 just North of NE University.

We ended up at LLBean & I have some news for those looking for an "excuse" to pick up a two-hander. They had there top-of-line GQS T-40, two-hand & Spey rods at half price (example, $465 -> $229). They had 9'-15' models with 9-12 weights. At the outlet store they also had some oversized reels to go with the two-hander, also at half price ($199 -> $99). Hmm, a two-hander outfit for less than four-bills?

BTW: Al, I picked you up two sizes of gold bead chain. I tried to call you to see if you needed anything else, but you were not home. They have a huge selection of materials.

FredA
07-31-2000, 11:54 AM
Wedding to attend Saturday 8/5. Other than that I would commit to any day.

Regards,
Fred A.

i'm so outta here
07-31-2000, 12:26 PM
Greg -- I swear! I was thinking of you the whole time....please don't divorce me http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Seriously, if my parents agree to take my son for a day or two, Jen may end up coming along on this second rip trip. She's never caught a striper on the fly but has landed schoolies to cows on bait. She would absolutely love the rip and the chance to learn from the group. I was relating to Hawkeye how she and I have spent some time casting over the last few weeks; she's really quite a natural and definitely has the right attitude. Some couples end up playing golf into their retirement. We plan on fly fishing the world together. How lucky am I?

al

Jay C.
07-31-2000, 12:36 PM
If we can work out the baby sitting details, Diane and I are in. Actually the first weekend doesn't work but any of the last three are a go. Al, Diane is after her first striper too, wouldn't it be a hoot if we could get the girls into
some great fishing action.

Jay C.

tomd
07-31-2000, 12:50 PM
Juro, I vote for the weekend of the 19th! if that weekend I'm in! Tom D

grego
07-31-2000, 12:56 PM
Very funny Al!

I meant we might both end up in divorce court, each with our respective wives.

If we take the boat, it may be a fun trip for the girls & a chance for flats fishing from shore combined with deep trenches from the boat. I'll have to look at the charts, but I'm guessing from Bass R. to S. Monomoy & back, plus moving around would be about a full tank of fuel?

DaveP
07-31-2000, 01:47 PM
Juro,

I'm game, how about all three? Seriously (but I was being serious), any of those weekends are fine.

Thanks a pod for setting up such an awesome trip!!

btw - Didn't fish this morning, Keith called me while in route, t-storm warnings so he canceled the day. Denied!! Oh well, needed to come home and dry my tent out anyway.

DP

Bill
07-31-2000, 05:45 PM
Would love to go if it's the weekend of the 19th or the weekend of the 26th.

Sounds like the group's latest adventure was great - sorry I missed it. We were away at a family reunion type vacation. Did manage to sneak out and catch a couple of 20 inch rainbows on a beautiful mountain lake one day. It was fun, but more than one local guy said, "You've been fly fishing in saltwater?! And on Monomoy?! I'ld LOVE to do that someday . . . ."

We are pretty fortunate.

CEWh
07-31-2000, 07:49 PM
I'm okay with any of those days given reasonably early notification.

Charles Whitehurst

Hawkeye
08-01-2000, 02:53 PM
I'd like to make a pitch for the 26th. The tide schedule that day is an hour and a half earlier than our last trip therefor giving us that much more of the "magic" time (assuming it happens again) as well as giving us that much more of a chance to see a tunoid.

Jay C.
08-01-2000, 03:12 PM
I would vote for the 26th, especially since the tide is favorable. My .02

Jay

Roop
08-01-2000, 04:10 PM
I'm in.

Roop

TinMan
08-01-2000, 07:21 PM
I'm in.

Let me know details.

mikemahler@earthlink.com

juro
08-01-2000, 08:01 PM
I know this will mess up some people, but the best tide on a weekend (the only days I can partake) is the 26th or the 27th. This is with respect to tide, tunoid potential, majority response, and general gut feel.

Just as a note, the last trip had early lows and mid-day high slack.

The 26th has a

High: 9:37am 3.7 ft / Low: 3:17pm -.1 ft (approx 3 hours before the last trip)

The 27th is about an hour later (approx 2 hours before the last trip)

Obviously, I like more hours than the last trip so SATURDAY is the better day. We all now know the difference an hour makes!

Any reactions to that?

<font size="1"> Very sorry Al and GregO - but you guys *do* have a boat and that whole week off!</font><!--1-->

i'm so outta here
08-01-2000, 08:45 PM
Ok guys. Have an awesome time!!

Perhaps we'll see you out there if the rain date comes into play.

tomd
08-01-2000, 10:35 PM
hey Greg, is the water getting to S. Monamoy too nasty to get to in a yak? I figure your brain was working that out during the commute there. I'm gonna be in Harwich for 2 weeks and figured I might make a trip out there on the week before the clave ( to really catch the tide). I'm moving back home with the wife and kids on the weekend the trip is planned. thanks, Tom D

Hawkeye
08-02-2000, 08:43 PM
Tom,

Mike and I have made the trip to the tip in yaks and the trip out was not difficult at all but the wind picked up while we were out there and the trip back got dicey with me finally bailing out about an 8th of a mile out from the take out. If the weather looks favorable Mike and I will be hitting the Tip this Sunday with a departure at about 5am putting us at the tip an hour and a half after the high and hopefully right smack in the middle of the "magic" time.