Posting volume [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Posting volume

josko
06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
It's a little sad to see new posts fall to less than a dozen a day. Is this because people are out fishing, a reflection of fly fishing's decline in popularity, or something specific to this website?

FredA
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
People tired of talking about it?

Most all the fishing sites seem to be down in traffic and where there's traffic the content is weak. Been like that a couple of years.

But this site is having extended periods of near death experience with occasional pretty good threads. (Felt compelled to modify this statement)

juro
06-16-2008, 02:56 PM
blah blah blah umbrella rig blah blah politics blah blah newbie questions blah :lildevl:

striblue
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, I think, I for one am getting a bit tired of all the web sites.... I usually post here...or RT or Jeff's board..and it was mostly flies and sharing info on tying flies...but I was out this past weekend and fished NM and will go back this weekend.... saw lots of fish...that's about all I can say...If I catch a good fish, I just can't blast it on the webs anymore..but Juro is right..... most of the stuff is about politics, What flies to use (People should do some searches on the forums and get the answers instead of the same things over and over again)...or, "What do you think about those Sox?"..."Where's a good spot to fish on Cape Cod".... " How do you clean a fly reel?"...or "when should you clean a reel?" " My reel exploded"...yada, yada..... or the real great post...which goes on an on...The Bahama equipment and customs post, which is on again.....I think I will use the forum for making plans, communicating with members about plans, and basic fishing reports. Not, " My underwear seems to ride high in my waders, what's the solution?":Eyecrazy: It seems like alot of the guys seemed to have disappeared from all the boards, except on occasion, people like Roop, Pink, JohnM, Estes Bros, etc, etc. I have to think that they are "tired"...I maybe wrong and I stand corrected , and I have been guilty of posting meaningless stuff. But I just don't have the energy anymore to answer a question like, "I am starting in SW flyfishing, what rod would be good and why?"

Penguin
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
How about FlyDoc's new tattoo?!:eek: :Eyecrazy: :whoa: :razz: :hihi:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/Tatoo.jpg

Quentin
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
:chuckle:

Doesn't really look like FlyDoc to me, but that tattoo is hilarious! I bet the artist was laughing during the entire procedure.

As for the drop in posting volume, I think there was a huge surge in the popularity of flyfishing at the same time that the internet was relatively new and more accessible to a lot of people. There were a lot more people that were new to the sport and new to the bulletin boards, which resulted in a lot of posts. All of that has leveled off now, so there aren't as many newbies asking questions or posting things just because it's new and fun to post messages. People have also learned how easy it is to burn a spot and/or get flamed by other users because of posting detailed fishing reports, so there aren't as many reports being posted.

Q

Eric
06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I feel I'd better wade in here. A few rising, but the evening is yet young and warm. Maybe there'll be a Hex hatch. Who knows?

Anybody remember @FLYFISH.COM? I still have my hat pin from that practically ARAPNET beginning (I know this isn't the right acronym, but I'm too tired and too effing lazy to look it up -- surely you get the drift).

I feel this is a social network more than anything. We all have friends here, and when we ask obvious and repetitive questions (what fly to use, how's the fishing) most of us (me certainly included) are reaching out to you, my/our cyber friends, to connect and learn from you. The people with expertise on this board, and they are legion, are our teachers and mentors. The questions come over and over, but the answers, may they be hackneyed to some, are fresh to others and bring advice and comfort to the inexperienced.

A case in point: the Steelhead board is virtually moribund. As a moderator, I try to think of topics to stimulate some posting and response, but mostly my efforts are in vain -- and I get discouraged as hell. I know there are competent steelheaders out their fishing every day. I'd sure like to hear from them. At the other end of the spectrum, I'd like to hear from someone who's read about steelhead and wants a few tips on where to go and how to fish. I'd answer to the best of my ability.

Someone wants to talk about the nuances of the riffling hitch, I'd wade in on that one.

Steelhead conservation and environmental enhancement? Sure thing. I've got some wacko opinions on that I'd nakedly throw into the ring.

And I'm the idiot in the school when it comes to Steelhead knowledge.

Recently, I've been bugging the Striper Board and getting lots of very useful information, which I was able to put into practice just this last week. The Forum is an incredible resource. I hate to think of it, or realize that others think of it, as on life-support.

Why don't more people post? Why so many lurkers?

I post some drivel and check a few hours later and usually find that, although there have been 0 replies, the post has been read by dozens of people. Our readers and friends are out there.

I feel we should suck it up and weather this storm of apathy out. Juro has given his heart's blood for this; and we, the Fly Fishing Forum, are too valuable a resource for the fly flinging community to dissipate into the cyber vortex any time soon.

BTW: What are your favorite single malts?

End of rant.

-- Eric

josko
06-17-2008, 05:29 AM
I have never tasted whiskey.

I do feel this site is dying for lack of posts and would like to do something about it - just not sure what. Yes, I know I should post more, but that's not the whole answer.

jfbasser
06-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Internet sites have become like newspapers, for entertainment purposes only. The information offered is genearally not specific enough to a situation to be of any real use. The sites that have more of a "club like" atmosphere seem to be still doing quite well. I for one am a recognized GPS expert but would never post an answer to a typical question...you just get overrrun with answers from Pilgrims that think they know their stuff and happen to have a lot of time.

Warren
06-17-2008, 07:23 AM
What's a GPS? Any thing like a UPS?:hihi:

I usually only have sarcastic smart ass comments about something someone else posts so I tend to keep them to myself if possible. (see above:wink:)
However if I do have something relevant to post, I do. But unfortunately my fishing time is limited, and what little I have done this year is not worthy of commenting on.

striblue
06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
I really don't disagree with what you say Eric, it is just I would think some people can take the time and effort to do a "search" and then find post to most common questions. I raised the Custom post as an example of a run on thread that gave 50 opinions and ended up more confusing and "answerless" than the original question. I had asked a question on Sextant use since I knew there were no others on the forum...I did a search. But the questions on Cape fishing location and the others I mention are buried all over the place on this forum. Is Juro, for example, going to give tying instruction for the umpteenth time on the deep eel? I do agree that it is a "social" thing , that is why I find basic fishing reports and making fishing plans, clave plans, etc....or a report on the result of the use of new equipment is what this is about... One thing we don't have is a forum for general talk like some of the others....DO A SEARCH and get more answers than torturing others with having to repeat the same thing over and over. But I can't see where the forum is dying from lack of posts so I must be missing something.

flydoc
06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Pete- come on...you know that if that was MY gut, the monkey's a$$ would be MUCH bigger than that!!!:devil:
Flydoc

P.S. Volume is over-rated....sparce but tasteless is my motto.....

Swalt
06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
The forums that get the highest volume will be those that provide answers to what seems to be a dumb questions. The forums with the lowest volume will be those where a poster will be worried about making a dumb post.

There are still a lot of people out there that will be getting into fly fishing and they will ask dumb questions. I know, I have been there and I still am there compared to many of you guys. There is so much to learn about fly fishing. I will see a post and wonder what the heck is he talking about when it seems like common knowledge to the poster and others. Then I want to find out what its all about. To me that is a big part of the fun, finding and learning about new places, equipment and techniques, and sharing what little I do know.

FredA
06-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Golden rule #22: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

FAQ's are the real lifeblood of sites like this. Seems a simple reply and a suggestion to try a search is a better response than no response or some terse comment about using the search function. The latter is sure to turn people off and keep them from returning. Also, the common wisdom with regard to FAQ's is frequently modified or opinions differ. It's good to rehash, maybe have a good ol fashion sh#t fight.

So assuming 80% of those that post here broke the ice with a "dumb or frequently asked question" type post, who was the last admitted to this clique?

striblue
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
HHHHMMMMM............seems like my points are being misunderstood. I am all for a polite reference to the use of the search function, in fact I recall a number of posts refering the query to the search fuction. In fact, it seems that on a number of basic questions you see one , maybe two responses, when a while ago...years ago...it would draw all sorts of responses....now.... people will not respond... and have not... you all speak of "volumn" and it seems that you will have less volumn and participation with having to "rehash" old stuff, which, incidently usually generates the same type of answers anyway. The questioner then says to himself, "gee, only a couple of responses to my question...what kind of site is this...I guess they don't care". To be fair..a reference to doing a search is far more informative and HELPFUL than a couple of quick responses. The guy can then open up a discussion (which then will deal with VOLUMN) and say I read this or that, has it changed? etc. etc. I have no issues with fishing reports, discussion on new equipment, a change in a fly that is now a good fly where it was not, matching the saltwater hatch on the bayside flats that change from pogies to eels, or whatever.............but once again...how to clean a fly reel, or other common sense stuff should be searched first.... and the questioner will get "more" information doing that than the one or two responses that the question triggers. Incidently, I have looked at the other boards... with all the newbees asking questions and the answers are coming from other newbees....not some of the older guys...who, as I have stated and stand by that, is that they just don't have the energy to give some one a Deep eel step by step....that's why most forums have a flytying section with instruction that CAN BE found. so.."Goldern Rule 22A The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, unless , with a little effort, you can find the answer and find MORE by seeing the history of the question....if there is none, then, please ask the question and people here will be more than happy to provide their polite opinions". This was a thread on why Volumn appears down by the originator.... I am saying , that volumn maybe down because people are saying.."OH No, not this again...I just can't respond"...there is your volunm problem or one of them... so I guess some of you are saying that we can get volumn up so long as we keep asking dumb questions ....I can't see that getting volumn up...but quite the opposite.

Who said ? "People tired of talking about it?

Most all the fishing sites seem to be down in traffic and where there's traffic the content is weak. Been like that a couple of years.

But this site is having extended periods of near death experience with occasional pretty good threads. (Felt compelled to modify this statement)"

OK here is an example.... of a Dumb or lazy question by me...."I am going to Maine for Vacation , any good places to fish?" I wait for an answer...instead of doing a search... and lo and behold I find a perfectly good question like mine WITH AN ANSWER...I SEARCH and find a post from nmbrowncom with an informative answer from Mark (DoubleHaul)..(this is a recent post).... I now know where to fish on my Vacation. I might then ask as a response to nmbrown post that I will also be in another part of Maine and I then "supplement " the question.... Months from now someone else will be in Maine at that local or another and "voila"... an answer.... WHY...Because he did a SIMPLE search.... and I suspect there are other posts on the subject as well. I use nmbrown thread as my starting point...with answers...good ones....now if I did post that question...Mark, might, I say might...say..."John , do a search...I answered a question like that to an other question".....or he will not answer the question at all...I mean, do we really expect that he will "rehash" that info AGAIN?.. 80 plus viewers have checked out that thread already. I wonder what 80 posts on the same subject work for our volumn problem.Duh.

Anyway...What about Dem Celtics???????

mikez
06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I have never tasted whiskey.

I do feel this site is dying for lack of posts and would like to do something about it - just not sure what. Yes, I know I should post more, but that's not the whole answer.

How bout a nice contest?

josko
06-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I think the Celtics win is part of a Communist plot to put Obama in power.

striblue
06-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Josko... exactly...you have that right...I want to go to the parade tomorrow...does anyone have directions to the Garden? and... and... would you wear a Celtic jersey or t-shirt?:confused:

nmbrowncom
06-20-2008, 07:05 AM
a few things i have noticed which which can be a turn off to future or regular posting for some:

while "newbies" and their questions are openly welcomed when so identified, there is definitely a clubby/insider undercurrent which can be intimidating or simply uncomfortable if you do not see yourself as on the inside.

controversial viewpoints, or posts on "insider" matters are often met with caustic responses.

some people who post regularly seem to kind of make up their own rules as to how, when and why others should post.

in sum, with the the exception of the identified "newbie" or someone identified as new to the site, for those who do not see themselves as insiders, it may have the look and feel of the stereotypical fly fishing snobbery.

Swalt
06-20-2008, 08:06 AM
"so I guess some of you are saying that we can get volumn up so long as we keep asking dumb questions ....I can't see that getting volumn up...but quite the opposite."

I don't think anyone said that. I seriously doubt that anyone is coming here and saying I am going to ask a dumb question. They think they have a legitimate question and they are hoping to get an answer. Now, if they think, that everytime they ask a question here that others are going to consider it a dumb question then I doubt they will ask too many more.

I agree that letting someone know to do a search on the subject and that they will find answers is being helpful and much better than no answer. Maybe a "If you have other questions after checking out the posts come back and let us know" would encourage further posts.

As for the subjects that keep getting brought up and discussed over and over. It may just be possible that there are a number of people that are interested in that subject. I doubt anyone is interested in every subject that is discussed here but that doesn't mean someone else is not interested in that subject.

striblue
06-20-2008, 08:31 AM
I will wade out now...It would be nice for people to do a search first. No one make the rules here as to how to post. This was about volumn problems...and...others identified the same points I raised, so it is not just my opinion. I suppose one can simply say there is no volunm problem and actually less volumn is a good thing after much that I have read. So what is the solution?...or what is the solution to the problem .Juro raises some issues at first which I agreed with... Fred said the basic same thing I did....except to the polite search issue.... so now that we have opined as to why I am difficult or caustic (an indirect refernce to a thread a while ago on our winter dinner).... can ANYONE propose a solution instead of just IDing the problem. More Contests as MikeZ says.... maybe... the only suggestion of a solution. You see, some people get so tired about the question that they may be caustic...or they simply don't answer...Any meaningful suggestion now that we have clearly ID'ed the problem? I just had to edit again here...this Forum is probably the most civilized web site out in cyber world... I will not give example of other sites...but there have been other where you would get your head handed to you...I don't see that here. A question was asked...I gave my opinion and then I made some guys cry...sorry. To infer that I ,or others are an inner club is not fair nor accruate...if you look back on all the History here... and I wonder how many here have spent countless hours with newbees , teaching them how to flyfish, as I had done with the Orvis saltwater school. My points have been made as to why we have low volumn...that's the truth of it...and also seen by others as the problem. Newbees can ALWAYS feel confortable to post...I just ask that they simply do a SEARCH first... to hone down the questions... and not expect everyone here to hand hold them . Otherwise.. they get no response or only a couple..is that a way to help with volumn..I don't know . just my opinion as a solution.

blindcurvw
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm relatively new to the forum (think I'm been a member for few years but only posting regularily now... Everybody interacts a different way and I'd guess you need to try and appeal to what the users are here for... There must be some incentive to post as few people post just because they like to share.

Here are the pro's and con's (related to me) that I've observed in my own threads, posts, and others I've read... Please understand that I don't fully understand all the nuances of the site demographics, sponsorship model, etc..

Pro's
Newbies to the sport get some good advice
Site is a social network (I've met a couple really nice guys here)
Claves - Great concept although I'm never available to attend as the timing isn't right w/ my work schedule, or the clave location is too far away... but I will get to one of these someday!
Great topics & advice (environment, conservation, regulations, gear, tackle, technique, where's the bite, etc...)

Con's
Redundant threads - not frequent, but some threads seem to be ignored as the subject has been discussed ad-nausium and probably nobody wants to revisit
Personal communications - its easy to misinterpret a written communication especially when the person speaks english as a second language or may not know exactly what they are talking about... I see a lot of threads often get derailed over miscommunication...
Highjacked threads (I'm guilty too) - a thread hihglights a tangent and pretty soone everyone is talking about the tangent and the person who sumitted the orginal post stop's getting feedback and then doesn't respond
Worldwide - w/ such a broad location of the users what anyone person could be interested in might be too narrow of a topic or germane to local area to solicit input from the majority of other users who have no experience in the topic.
Seasonal variation - yes I'd rather be on the water fishing than reading about it, that's nature... I post more in the winter and when I'm travelling on business then anything else... exception being when I really need to know something... I do try and at least read the forum 1x per week and really feel obligated to post in return for the feedback I get.

Suggestions:
1. Moderator's should try and solicit discussion during low volume times buy posting a new thread or summarizing a thread (many do)
2. Contest idea (forget who suggested) is a good one - Perhaps multiple contests could be coupled together... such as a fly tying competiton w/ each contestant submitting 2 examples of the pattern as a donation - flies could then be used as a prize for some other contest...
3. Maybe each moderator should challenge specific users to post topics
4. Diversify topics a bit more, such as by state or region rather than Warmwater, Quintessential Trout... I think the topics that get the most hits are species-region specific (Pacific Steelhead/Salmon, Greatlakes Steelhead/Salmon, Classic Atlantic, etc...) - Might require more moderators...
5. Reward those who make good posts, are responsive to threads, and generally contribute - Maybe sponsor discounts? Damn things are getting expensive...
6. Trade-a-trip (seen this before elsewhere, don't remember where though) - I'd personally be more than happy to take somebody fishing who might want to visit my local waters... Especially if they are willing to return the favor... Some do this via their friendships; but, maybe others like me would be willing to help out the newbie or someone who is taking a random trip and would like to sneak in some flyfishing w/ a member w/ local knowledge. I'm sure this would generate a lot of posts and discussion about technique, species, habitat,etc..
7. Publications - I really liked the idea of the Casting technique thread related to getting examples of all things fly casting... Would be great to see folks collaborate thru the forum and get an article published in a major magazine or book... Who wants to work on Freshwater drum (a.k.a sheephead)... That's my research project for Lake Champlain this summer... We got 10-20lbers that sit up on slate shoals and shorelines thru the heat of the summer that I'm dying to catch on the fly rod... How different can they be from their saltwater cousin's?
8. Gear Reviews - Sponsor or User solicited - Although there are a lot of thread w/ good content about gear it would be nice to see a critical review of a specific family of products or comparison of products (e.g. Fly Vest, Fanny Pack, Chest Pack or Tool Necklace, what's best for what situation?)... I think topics like this would have appeal to both newbies and the veterans and everyone inbetween...
9. Women in fly fishing - More and more women are getting into the sport and many are very intimidated by the overwhelming male presence. Maybe Anne or other important women on the site could help moderate a section specifically for women to ease concerns over posting...

All I got time for now, hope this helps give you some ideas....

highway61
06-20-2008, 11:26 AM
I guess I qualify as a 'newbie" having joined FF last October. Although I agree it can be a bit intimidating to post when so many experienced members have forged friendships over the years through the forum and fishing together, but that is only natural. This does not make them "insiders". It makes them a community. In my brief tenure, I have asked a few questions (don't know if any or all were dumb ones) and recieved numerous helpful responses. The forum sponsored the clave a month ago which gave me a chance to meet many of the FF members. Everyone I met was great. They were friendly, welcoming, and willing to share info. In just a few days, I had a chance to fish with several members and enjoyed their company. In the future I hope to fish again with them and some of the other members. I 'll be on the ferry out to Monomoy many more times this year which I am sure will give me a chance to fish with some of the regulars. One of these days, I hope to get out to S.Monomoy on a rip trip. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is up to each new member to introduce themselves and not worry about asking "dumb" questions. I think most of the guys here understand that everyone started somewhere and that they too depended on the help of other experienced, welcoming anglers. This has been my experience....

Steve

striblue
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for those 2 posts... and the pros and cons description really ID's some good stuff. Positive... I suppose in hindsight, I should have only focused on the repetivive and the (please) use of the search function, and not coupled it with dumb questions. I suppose they are two different things.

juro
06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
New faces keep things fresh and interesting and are more than welcome. We have new folks coming to claves every year and it seems people feel right at home around here on line.

More the merrier, and I like the world-wide diversity too.

FishHawk
06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Maybe some of the problem is that people can't seem to register on the board and give up. I've seen a lot of posts on other boards about the difficulty of getting on this board.
FishHawk

juro
06-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Again, the board has not changed. If some are having difficulty signing up, then something has changed - EMAIL FILTERING on the receiving end.

For those who are technologically less experienced, this can make things one level more complex. But I hardly think it's a huge obstacle to overcome, and furthermore there is nothing that can be done on the server side when the filtering occurs in the receiving end.

Try this (as I have several times) send yourself a password reminder email. If you get it, then you will have no difficulty signing up. If you don't then the email has been gobbled up by some filter between the Forum server and your (whomevers) in-box.

But all hope is not lost - email programs allow you to look at the emails sorted out as junk before they are deleted, so it's still not too late. One can find the confirmation email and click on the link to complete the registration. But if it's been filtered out, one will have to take the action to go find it. I know it's an extra step but what can we do on the server end? I am open to suggestions.

I hope that clears up the confusion - I have explained this and tested this out myself several times. Hopefully it will soak in after a few more times. :Eyecrazy:

I understand that not all users of the internet are aware of these recent changes on the mail servers they use. Do you remember all the PORN posts when we did not have email confirmation on sign-up? NOT going back there unless people want to own up to deleting all those posts manually again.

My recommendation - USE GMAIL. I do, and have no problems. It's also free and works with your browser (no mail program necessary)

vtloon
06-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Don't know if I'm right, but I've always assumed that (unless it went to a Public Radio fund raising model) a forum could not survive without it's sponsors. If that's true, I'd like to hear what the sponsors want to see...where they feel they get their value. And, given that we value the forum, hopefully we'd react accordingly.

Regarding responses, for me one of the biggest difficulties is an "apples & oranges" separation sort of thing: I'll bend over backwards to help a newbie that's serious about his intent and putting in the effort; on the other hand, an armchair diletante "Gee that might be interesting..show me all about it" drives me right up a wall. So, how do you tell the difference in cyberspace?

striblue
06-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks Todd....Exactly....I think you said it better than I did.

nmbrowncom
06-21-2008, 09:20 PM
it seems as though the forum means different things to different people. while certain types of commentary or questions may be disconcerting to some, imposing one's own rules and idiosyncracies is a definitive turn off to many.

striblue
06-21-2008, 10:03 PM
What "rules" are you refering too? I see opinions here. I don't think anyone is 'imposing" anything, but the thread was an attempt at solutions and suggestions. Unless your are taking the opportunity here to refer to a past thread.

nmbrowncom
06-22-2008, 07:32 AM
stribule, thank you for making my point. offering "opinions" and "suggestions" based upon one's belief that certain others (presumably "desirables") don't post because they are "tired" of dumb or repetitive threads or that people should do research before they post etc, etc, is little more than blaming the lack of posting on those who do post. it is like blaming the congregation for the lack of important people in attendance. sounds snobby to me.

in other words, "opinions" and "suggestions" which are little more than not so subtle put downs of others, are not "opinions and "suggestions" on solutions, but rather they are "opinions" and "suggestions" on peoples correct use of the forum. in my view it's a turn off and ought to be considered when trying to identify the reasons for lack of posting. perhaps there are other reasons as well, but failure to consider that the forum may not be as inviting as it should or could be, is to ignore the obvious....in my view.

striblue
06-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Yes, right..but not put downs. I thought that 'opinions " and "suggestions" on the use of the forum might help with the volumn. Pretty sure that is not just my own opinion as one reads the thread...nor is it a "rule". The problem is that the forum is and has always been inviting.... and that obviously does not have to do the lack of volumn. The other thing is that interest in flyfish may have ended or lessened.

Jim Miller
06-22-2008, 09:26 AM
For me a forum takes on two general aspects; a social aspect and a learning/sharing aspect.

People chime in if they have an interest, have something to add, and have the time to post....
I'm not sure how many members we have currently .... but it seems there needs to be a threshold of people to support a certain topic.

An example might be Vince's Seychelle report. Just wonderful! ... but I could not add to the discussion and have no plans to travel there ..... so I didn't post a reply.
I wonder how many great posts go unanswered or un discussed because there are not enough members to support/discuss it.

As many of you know.... I tend to post a lot of fly patterns. I know the posts are appreciated, but it's hard to get a discussion going. Same is true for many of the beautiful salmon patterns posted.... I always enjoy seeing them... but I have a hard time posting an informative response. (nice fly! gets old after a while. :wink: )

The dilema of spot burning has taken a lot of the social discussion away. I think we tend to share w/ friends on the phone .... rather than the net. There is a valid reason for this of course..... but it has taken it's toll on the "social" posting aspect.

The Claves and Rip trips seem to get things buzzing.... maybe more posting in that area will help make things more lively.

Anyway...It's Sunday morning and I'm not fishing ..... so that's my two cents worth. :)

nmbrowncom
06-22-2008, 09:29 AM
one of the great strengths of our forum is the sense of community. perhaps that is what needs to be built upon. the spring and fall claves are events we all look forward to and lament when we can't make it. the last fall clave was one of the best times i had all season, and we caught hardly any fish. i remember being struck that so many traveled long distances to be there. i read similar accolades for the aklins trips which are also planned on the forum.

while i imagine that other fly fishing web sites may do similar such events, i've not seen them. i notice that others have gone to bait and other types of fishing, politics, and sports. their names and by-lines not withstanding, there is very little fly fishing content. as interest in the sport has undoubtedly wained over the past few years economic considerations may have dictated their expansion to other types of content-so much so that many so called fly fishing sites boards are little more than a combination of, sponsor advertising in the form of "reports", a stage to sound off on anything, and a general fishing site.

however, because there are still many enthusiasts it makes sense to maintain our fly fishing only moniker. reaching out to those who want the same and are having trouble finding it may be what we ought to strive for. i recognize that that may cost a few dollars, but given the participation at the claves, the manufacturing sponsors, the ability to expand the claves(boston harbor, deerfield, westfield, ponobscot, etc), selected trips (such as aklins) there is a strong base with a unique and common interest which could possibly be built upon.

striblue
06-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds like two good posts...now to the meat.... what about seeing Jim and NM as sign on for a rip trip some day... then we can all have some fun ? ( We got a series of days planned- you both don't live far)

Jim Miller
06-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I'd like that a lot John!
I'll have to see how things shake out.... started a new job 3 weeks ago... no vacation for 6 months. :( But I'm trying to plan for some personal and planned sick days ... cough, cough) ;)

nmbrowncom
06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
STRIBULE, I THINK I COULD DO JUNE 30 AND JULY 1. NEAL

striblue
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok...I will put you in for those dates. I put a thread up and we will be flexible. The thread is a start to get numbers and dates. I know you might only be able to do one but to pull these off we need to do atleast 6 dates...hoping to have two since weather and wind is key. Jim... just stay tuned and we will hope to have many of these as the season progresses.

JimW
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
This post sure got the numbers up!

I have a couple of suggestions; take 'em or leave 'em, or discuss the heck out of them and then leave them.

Links - I hate the no links rule - bring back links. I don't expect it to change, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Speaking of links - how about when a newbie asks about something that is known to be within the vast database of posts, one of the mods throws a link up to a couple of pertinent posts. This would point the newbie in the right direction and the vets might learn something new too. It might be nice to have some re-runs of the better posts - sort of a best of section. It's not a new idea, I've seen similar set ups on other sites.

millerbrown
06-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I used to subscribe to a half dozen fly fishing magazines just a few years ago but let all but two go because most of what I read was redundant. Just a new angle on old subjects. I would guess that "forums" become much of the "same old same old". What's worse is that forums have a tendency to become nothing more than conversations between "friends". Also, there's nothing worse then to see a good subject digress to "off topic" chit chat. That's what happens here and at other like venues. That static should be left to PM's.

That's it for starters.

Millerbrown

Sean Juan
07-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Personally I think my number of posts is so low because I use the Pm's.

I would never post a striper report - lets be honest how the hell would that be anything but a negative for me? The guys here that I fish with I'll pm - info gets to the people I want to have it.

My favorite posts are the ones discussing a topic - but more often than not that breaks down to a repetition of the status quo - informative? Maybe. Fun? Not so much. Also Jim is right about the flies I love seeing his posts but I really have nothing meaningful to say.

I also think it hurts that the forums are so limited in scope - like the Striper forum is primarily the Cape Cod forum. All the guys there fish the same waters and know pretty much the same stuff - the odds of learning something truly new is fairly low (I read it religiously because once or twice a year Juro will let something slip.) Another board I am far more active on has guys that fish: trout, carp, pike etc...the fact that they know so little about stripers actually promotes more discussion and thus knowledge when a striper fly or technique is posted.

josko
09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I think we need to do something about the volume of posts on this board or it'lll be gone...