Sage XP 8wt vs GLX Classic 8wt [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage XP 8wt vs GLX Classic 8wt

Gseries69
06-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm looking at two slightly used rods to replace an older Scott STS 8wt. Both rods are 4pc 8wt. The Sage XP and the GLoomis GLX classic. What are some opinions on both rods? The application will primarily be on bones, reds and steelhead.

hnl
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi,
I have a 4pc 8wt XP and I HAD a 2pc GLX circa 1998 that I sold 5 yrs ago. If my memory serves me I would choose the XP. The 8wt GLX flexed too much into the lower half of the rod for my liking. The XP flexes deep - but not as much as the 8wt. GLX. The #8 XP has an extremely smooth action, but you have to like a rod that needs a little longer casting stroke. It likes to be loaded deep into the blank.
Have you casted the XP? It is one of the few rods I have that cannot be overlined. The #7 is actually stiffer. But I built that one and used lighter components so the rod will be faster.
Herb

porter
07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
The XP is a upper flex casting rod. I think of it as more of a flick when casting, where you really feel the tip doing the casting. I have not casted the GLX, but many prefer this rod for it's progressive action and high line speed. Both rods are very very good and it would be hard to go wrong with either selection. :smile: