carry-on reels/lines/security roulette [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: carry-on reels/lines/security roulette

Penguin
06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
So...
You're travelling to the Bahamas...or somewhere that requires a TSA crap-shoot...
Do you feel LUCKY?

You're about to negotiate an airport "security check" and you want to "carry-on" your $$$ reel with line and backing...
There are stories of success and failure...
Lines and backing that might be used as a "weapon"...yah RIGHT!?
You're at the mercy of a foreign or domestic government worker ant...

If the line and backing is not an issue...that can only simplify an already stressful process...

The photos depict a bulk backing spool, shaft, pins, washers, carriage bolt w/ nylon lock nut, thread spool...
The carriage bolt head is heated and seated into the plastic bulk spool...

Multiples lines can be transferred to the Line Transfer Spool and placed in "checked" baggage...
Naked reels/spools hopefully remain uncontested in "carry-on"...

At destination...
Reels are easily re-loaded...

Lines and backing returned to checked baggage for the ride home...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/LineTransfer3.jpghttp://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/LineTransfer2.jpg

blindcurvw
06-05-2008, 11:41 AM
This is a good idea; however, I'm finding that the bigger challenge now is checked backage restrictions (1 bag free <50lbs, +$20 per additional bag and $xxx for bags over 50lbs) complicate things... Personally, the extra weight of this spool and line in my check bags would have screwed me on my recent trip to Florida.

Granted this trip was with 1 traveling partner and we needed a fair amount of DIY gear between us which I carried the greater %age (tackle, fly tying supplies, lures, reels, rods, gps, etc...... My main checked bag was 50lbs on the nose and I brought the bare essentials, save fly tying supplies which was probably 1-2 lbs of the overall weight. I had no choice but to carry all fly reels, GPS, ipod, laptop and travel fly rods as carry-ons.

Luckily no hassles... But domestic flight which I've never had single problem with since 9/11...

Pretty soon will just be cheaper and easier to leave gear at home and just hire guides who provide everything. Or, ship gear separately which I did for one-way of an Alaska trip one year.