NEXT Rip Trip? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NEXT Rip Trip?

striblue
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Need some input here...looking at the tides and dates and am seeing potentials for June 27th, 28th, 29th..July 1 and 2. There are dates before this but I am looking at either arriving at the rip on middle incoming....a starting outgoing....or middle outgoing.... thoughts? We should look to schedule a "series" of trips during the best tides..... even 5 to 10 trips to adjust for weather and the potential high SW winds even on a bluebird day. We have all been though this before...the cancellations, etc. We should be aggressive on scheduling this season IMHO. I can not make it this weekend...But if Juro or Jim Simms can orgainize...you will have extreme minus tides...For example, despit the fact that the afternoon will be incoming there is a window from 8 to 11 am where the dead low is fast...very minus. With a speed low at arrival with dead at 10:12am...Both days of the weekend are on that schudule adding one hour.

flydoc
06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
John- weekends best for me (as always)- especially the 3 day Fourth of July weekend:smokin:
Flydoc

Warren
06-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Friday the 27th I can do. The rest of the days are out. I am available this weekend. If someone twists my arm I could even stay down on the Cape till Sunday.

jimS
06-04-2008, 04:56 PM
If there is enough interest, and weather permitting, a rip trip could be secheduled for this Saturday. We have a 10 a.m. low tide, which would catch the last of the outgoing, and the coming tide throughout the day. Right now, weather looks ok, and partly sunny. We need 10 guys to pull it off. Monday was a pretty good day on the rip. I think it will only get better! Post on this thread if you are interested. Got three right now, iincluding Warren.

highway61
06-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Count me in for a rip trip on either saturday or sunday.

Steve

Penguin
06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Saturday/Sunday...
METOO!

Paxton
06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Jim, Polarezes (Garry) is coming Saturday...I'm am 100% sure he would do the rip trip if it was on. I'm coming tomorrow and if the fishing is good, stay over for Friday.
Ron

flydoc
06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Gotta feel the rip....and the tug (over and over again).....count me in.
Flydoc

juro
06-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Might work, but wrong tide this weekend or should I say not the right one.

The adjacent area will probably have lots of fish on the flood (e.g. deep shoreline flats 1/2 mile north) but the classic rip experience begs a certain tide as John has recently recognized as I've been saying for years.

However fishing is fishing and one day could be spectacular despite anyone's educated guess, but this weekend's tide is the year's best so far for other approaches.

I'll wait for the right tide to go to world's end but good luck down there, and by all means prove me wrong.

polareyez
06-05-2008, 06:28 AM
If you go this Saturday make room for one more. I'll definitely go.

striblue
06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Juro is right about the tides, and I knew about that before this past trip, but we think that with all the cancellations happening we need to be aggressive in scheduling... perfect tide may be there on certain days but we can't get there....so ... we need to work around those outgoing tides, either early day or late...plus it's just nice being down there and there are fish on the highs...not as wild as the rip forming. Then there is the shore line from the drop off to the rip where shadfreak fishes on all the tides and have been productive. My recollection is that we have been down there on an early morning outgoing with low at around noon and it was perfect....so long as we had minus or close to minus tides.....Pie moons or weak tides have been not as good... We will shanghai Juro at the end of the month.:chuckle:

FishHawk
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
I will make those dates you mentioned unless something comes up. Thanks John for putting this together. FishHawk:smokin:

rooster
06-05-2008, 08:39 AM
I'll be on Cape a good bit from 6/10-6/22. If a group is trying to pull togeter a rip trip I could round up 2-5 others, fairly quickly. Keep me posted.
Also, I won't have computer access to this site after 6/10. So- if you want to see about a trip send me an email dennis.kelly@syngenta.com or call 336 601 8746
and i can work with folks on dates.
Tight lines
DK

Gseries69
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
If there's room I'd like to make it. Buddy will be joining me so that would make 2 of us. I'll be sure to have him register on the site prior to Sat. Hope to see some of you Fri to get more info on time etc.

striblue
06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Jim Simms is orgainizing this one... so you should be in contact with him if the weather works and he has Keith on board.

jimS
06-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Looks like we have a guorum for the Rip Trip on Saturday. Talkied to Capt. Keith today and if the winds don't pose a problem, we are on for a 7:30 a.m. departure. In case of a strong SW wind preventing landing/pickup on S. Monomoy, we will have a backup plan. Just a note about physical ability to walk 8 miles in case a "death march" might occur. This occurred once when a stronger than expected SW wind prevented pickup at the normal point, and necessitated a walk to the north tip of S. Monomoy.

Attendees:
Warren
CSJ60
FishHawk
Highway 61
Penguin
FlyDoc\
Polareyez
GSeries69 & friend
Shutupnfish (registered, but can't post
JimS

To be fair to all, if you commit, you are obligated to pay for the trip.

Questions, post or pm me.

Warren
06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Am I chopped liver? I can't go now? Booo Hooo:confused: I feel so ccccold & left out :(

striblue
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Warren... Call Jim...you did post earlier and should be included under our first come first serve....I think Jim just missed it in the thread.

Sean Juan
06-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Jim,

I'm a go for this Saturday and I'd like to bring a buddy if thats ok.

Warren
06-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Jim did include me earlier, the above post was my lame attempt humor & to bust his chops. Tis 3 am Friday Morn, I am headed to the cape now. See you boys down below

polareyez
06-06-2008, 06:52 AM
To be fair, if Keith can't get the boat to us for a pickup, I think he should carry us to a place where he can pick us up....:Eyecrazy: Fishhawk, it's your turn to bring the pink sluggos, I'll bring the seaworms....

striblue
06-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Ok Warren, I did not see you on Jim's List so I will edit the list to include you. Keith will only bring 10 down...He might be able to do a couple more but it's his call. The cost this year is $50 per person....with 10. With 10 plus JimS...Sean and his buddy are on the bubble....But maybe able to go depending on what Keith wants and if there are noshows with some of the new guys posting or regulars.

jimS
06-06-2008, 04:02 PM
John, thanks for updatig the thread and providing additional details. Following is some additional info for the trip:
1. Talked to Capt. Keith late this afternoon, and current weather info looks ok for Saturday. Keith will review the weather in the early evening and will call me with the latest weather update. I'll post later thius evening the weather info.
2. Cost of the trip is $50 each. Price increase is obvious as a result of being held hostage by OPEC.
3. We have hit the limit on number of participants with Sean Juan and friend on the bubble. .
4. A 7 a.m. departure is scheduled, and pickup will be at 5 p.m.
5. Plan to park on the causeway entering the refuge. Admiral Ed will shuttle everyone to the refuge parking lot. Saturday is busy with visitors on the refuge and parking is limited.

Questions, call my cell 814.671.1768...

striblue
06-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Jim, just one other thing...Sean and friend should show up in the event there is a No-show...or no-shows.... If that happend , they go...if not, then there's south or NM, so the trip to the refuge is not a total waste for them.

jimS
06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Keith had a weather update at 7p.m. Sources indicated 10-20 SW on Saturday, and one source indicated up to 25. If 25 is the forecast, then departing from S. Monomoy will not work. He will make the call, based on forecasted winds at 7 a.m. If the Rip Trip should be cancelled, the options include N. Monomoy and S. Beach. There is also a possibility of S. Monomoy midway down with a pickup at the north end, if the wind forecast should cancel the rip trip.

See everyone in the a.m. and keep your fingers crossed.

striblue
06-07-2008, 07:45 AM
It's 8:30 am and I just spoke with Jim . Everyone met and the Ferry got to Stage Harbor when Keith made the call to cancel. He gave the guys the option to continue but they most likely would have to make the death march 8 miles to the north tip for a pickup..... I also figured that with the high heat coming and humidity, that the SW wind would start to blow, like it would do on the NM flats....nice hot day, sun but honking wind...That it wonuld be cancelled.. They all agreed to head back to the refuge, and when I spoke with Jim he was on his way to the bayside. This is why we need to schdule 4 or 5 trips in a row at a "most" favorable tides with backup days. I have to do a guide trip for Orvis next Saturday and my son is using CAC with his Lacrosse teamates, so I plan on scheduling 5 trips at the end of the month....all in a row with some during the weekday. This way, with gathering a list for the days guys can make it, we can get down there at a historically productive time for big fish. Those wanting to do this should try and block 2 days if possibe to use as a backup...OR..... 5 trips with sign ups for those who can make one or more...if we pull off the first in the series... we should have a next list at a moments notice for the next day.....There will be a lot of juggling but this will work. Jim will chim in after the day today. If we even can succeed with ALL 5 trips say, we should have solid lists for all five days...if one guy can not or does not want to do the next trip he is signed on too since he made the previous, we need to have that standby list for the next...or we will only pull off one...that kind of thing.

Guernseybass
06-07-2008, 05:38 PM
John, NM was hot in places - there was a lot of unhappy anglers today, but two ladies with spey rods killed them.

i fished some onshore flats and saw one cow in the fog, then took the afternoon ferry to SB and fished both sides for two blues. I did see over a hundred seals where CSJ60 took his 43" last year.

must of met 30 guys today and not a bass between them :(

but, it may still be to come - the onshore flat had 2" bait stacked up and the water temps were pretty warm.

given the likely traffic tomorrow the cape is a bust for me, but am thinking about NM for Monday :lildevl:

Mark

Penguin
06-07-2008, 05:47 PM
An HONOURABLE man who makes the tough call...

Money in the pocket...
A boat load of paid up phlyguyz on board...
'Maneuvering in the fog and WIND around the convoluted meandering passage way enroute to the South Monomoy drop off point...
'Finally, in the Stage Harbour channel heading south...
Obviously sloppy and with the SW wind forcast to strengthen the good Kaptain throttles back and presents his passengers with a choice...
Press on with the likelyhood that a normal pick up would probably not be possible with the strengthening SW wind resulting in an 8 mile hike to the north end...
(not his problem and no skin off his nose...except a chunk o' change)...and besides, the wind may lay down!?
or...
Turn back...maybe do South Beach or North Monomoy...(the safety and well being of his passengers tops on his agenda)
The Right Honourable Kaptain K was making a tough call. $$$
A more financially driven man would have taken the easy way out, the money, and run...
The Kaptain's suggestion was conservative...to turn back but he gave everyone a chance a voice on pressing on with an impending "death march" back for the pick-up...

We decided to return to the sanctuary and plan on another day...
A refund was dispensed and everyone went their own way...
The story says a good deal about RipRyder and the man behind the helm!
Professional in every aspect of his challenging business and safety FIRST!...
I'll sail anywhere with him...EXCEPT into FLAK! :eek:
My hat's off to the good Kaptain K! (the Admiral too!)

Warren
06-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I second the Motion Pete! The good Capt'n gave it his best shot. Better to err on th e side of safety than the other way.

Mr Mayor, I am only available for the Friday the 27 run if it comes to fruition, the rest of the end of June first of July is booked with other things. I will drive down if things look good, if not later in the year it will be.

Quite frankly if the fishing does not improve there may not be too many more drives down from New Hampshire for this boy.

flydoc
06-08-2008, 08:51 AM
My hat's off to Captain Keith as well....I ended up hiking over 6 miles around Great Island up in Wellfleet yesterday, and felt physically ill by the end of the day...8 miles up from the South Monomoy rip would have done me in for sure....they would have had to send the Coast Guard down to take me to the ER for treatment and IV fluids. I'm up for another shot or two over the long Fourth of July weekend.
Flydoc

jimS
06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Not much that I can add to the post-commentaries for the aborted Rip Trip. One thing that you can take to the bank is a forced 8-mile march at the end of the day, based on the reported winds and seas in the afternoon. Pete said it succinctly, the good captain consistenly errs on the side of caution with the safety of his clients his priority. As Capt Keith said, "We've got the whole summer to make these trips."

highway61
06-08-2008, 08:39 PM
This being my first trip, I was disappointed that the trip had to be canceled, but like already said, I was impressed that Captain Keith placed safety first. Bring 'em home alive is my motto! There will be other days. The rest of my June weekends are taken up with other commitments, but I could make weekday trips the last week of June. Hopefully there will be a July 4th weekend trip.

Steve

Splake
06-09-2008, 08:20 AM
This was my first trip as well. Being new to this it was good to be on board following an experienced group. I would love to get another opportunity to try this again. I'd be available for another attempt almost any day except for the July 4th weekend.

Gseries69
06-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Sorry guys. Me and my buddy were the no shows on Saturday. One of the original posts said the departure time was 7:30 and then it was updated to 7:00 but I was already on the Cape and had no access to internet. I'll know better for next time.