Today- Rip Trip Report- classic [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Today- Rip Trip Report- classic

striblue
06-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I finished speaking with Juro a moment ago and am posting a rip trip report that we pulled off today. It was a scheduled special charter for the Boston Flycasters , a trip which I orgainized and and am a member. Jim Simms and Larry P. (shadfreak) joined to help out. We were 13 and Mrs. Lincoln and Jim's wife Pam who came for the ride to check out the status of the LightHouse. High tide was at 11:48am and we arrived at about 8am. and headed right to the rip and started hooking up...but small stripers and and hook ups by one guy or another now and then...as usual...but everyone caught atleast 4 or five fish until the high lull about 12 noon... hanging around.... waiting for the outgoing... Larry stayed about 1/2 distance between the drop off and the rip all day claiming (which I don't doubt) about 100 stripers and a couple good size ones. Things started getting hot about 1 hour before the rip formed on this minus tide.... then... double and triple hookups and at 4 pm , I had to blow my whistle 3 times just to get the guys off the conga line to start back for the 4:30 pick up... we all figured with about 20 stripers caught between each guy , some more, some less...about 200 at a minimum... with several keepers, one by Simms which I saw and a couple others from the others...no blues.... Sun and no wind, plently of breaks and a good day for early June for sure. One H**l of a day.:)

juro
06-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Awesome report John!

Well, for those paying attention that tells us quite a lot. First of all, there is bait at the point, second there are fish. The bait has to find ways to deal with the current which leaves three options - top, bottom or shore. Most find shelter in the softer current and 'liquid' sand on the bottom near the shoreline thus the fish strafe the striations along the bottom against the current (which disables the bait from escape) making for an easy meal.

But in the bigger picture it tells us that the week and a half of south winds has pushed the biomass to the corner and it's rounding the bend. Where the earlier shot through the canal has already charged up the bayside, south shore, Boston Harbor and has reached the NH shore. A compression of biomass in refuge waters is emminent (remember the Hitchcock movie conditions last year).

So after a bit of a delay due to cold water and lack of forage sized bait the elbow should be red hot and I for one can't wait to get my ass out there on the sprawling Monomoy flats and east side beach this weekend!

Keith save my seat.

polareyez
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Striblue,

Sounds like a great trip. That's encouraging news after the lack of action when I was down there 2 weeks ago. I'm coming this weekend. Do I bring the pink sluggos? :chuckle: