Crackling in Rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Crackling in Rod

Nathan Smith
10-05-2000, 10:23 AM
I just bought a new rod, a 2wt. to do some brookie fishing and when I cast it I hear a cracking sound from a specific section in the rod, not a joint but in a strait section of the rod. Is this no big deal or should I be concerned.

juro
10-05-2000, 11:56 AM
I'd call Smitty at the Rod Builder's Workshop...

781-582-1015

Might be the coating on the wraps?

Eddie
10-05-2000, 12:05 PM
That's not right. Return it to the shop. If it is superficial, they will fix it or get you a new one.

tomd
10-05-2000, 12:32 PM
is it at a guide?

Nathan Smith
10-05-2000, 05:46 PM
I can't tell if it is a guide. It is close to the inside rapping on the first snake guide. It is a 7.5 ft 2wt scott G. Normally I would take it back but it was a demo rod I got for an awsome price and it is the perfect rod. I was just wondering if it was cosmetic and would go away of if is a flaw I should worry about.

ssully
10-05-2000, 11:12 PM
Nate,

The last rod I had that made that noise busted just above the ferrule. My guess is a crack under the wrap. Just my .02

BobD
10-06-2000, 11:56 AM
Nate,

I think that what you are hearing is that wonderful rod moaning at your reel and line selection.

I called Scott customer service this morning and Egan thinks that the noise you are hearing is the guide itself. Sometimes the insert seperates from the frame which would cause a crackling sound. He does not believe there is a crack in the blank. In any case when it gets too cold to fish that rod. Send it to Scott and they will replace the stripping guide for you.

Nathan Smith
10-06-2000, 01:48 PM
I fugured you would chime in Bob. Thanks, I inspected the rod some more and I am pretty sure it is the first guide on the rod. It seems a little lose (just slightly). Over all I love the rod. It casts nice and is beautiful. I think I will do as you suggested. Fish it for the rest of this month while the fishing is good and the sent it to Scott. Thanks alot.