Glad to be coming Back [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Glad to be coming Back

Mike Oliver
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Hope to see some of you over the coming two weeks. I am arriving in Cotuit on the 2nd june and then moving to Dennis Port from the 4th to the 8th to fish around Chatham area for a few days. This year there are a total of 5 in my group. Two Fly Fishers and three half and halfers. ( Some Fly and spin)
I guess the beaches will have changed a lot from last year. Hear the fishing has been good at times. See you soon.

Mike

jimS
05-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Mike, the half and half types sounds kinky to me. We refer to them as being on the darkside. See you next week.

flydoc
05-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Mike, the half and half types sounds kinky to me. We refer to them as being on the darkside. See you next week.
Jim- we'll make sure to redirect the half and half types to Provincetown, where they'll feel right at home:hihi:
Flydoc

Mike Oliver
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Jim/Flydoc,

I guess you could see things that way, in fact I should have forseen it. LOL. Last year was our first visit to Provincetown and lets just say it was an unusual experince. I am highly pleased that I will be donning 5 layer waders when fishing the flats near the stone dyke with at least two wading belts.

Mike

essexalan
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Guys,

I reckon ole Mike might feel right at home in Provincetown himself :hihi: Save the storys for the Squire or get a few drinks in Mike and he will tell you himself :eek:

Let the annual invasion commence ;)

Alan

juro
05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
So whats the plan for British Invasion '08? Who / when / where?

I don't want to miss the sequel to last years thrilling episode :)

essexalan
05-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Juro,

Mike, his Merry Men and his half and halfers will be arriving Monday next.
Myself and three others will be arriving on Saturday the 7th. At least one other party quantity unknown will be getting in on the same day. Those are just the ones I know about. Arranged to meet up with Mike in the Squire Sunday the 8th. That is if he is not on fish in which case dynamite wont shift him :)
Our party will be staying in West Yarmouth.
Mucho fishing and drinking of Duff will be compulsory :cool:

Alan

Mike Oliver
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Juro,

It is sad that Steve Binks is not able to come with his usual party this year. I still have the memory of Steve completely oiled slouched at the bar in Squires pretending to listen to some young pretty thing who obviously needed glasses. Jim's two sons were pretty far gone to. But to their eternal credit they made it out to Monomoy with Jim and others the next day. fragile but there all the same.
I arrive as Alan said on Monday 2nd June and stay in our rented house in Cotuit for a couple of days before moving to a Motel in Dennis Port from the 4th to the 8th June. Idea being to be closer to the fishing around Chatham. After the 8th I may go back to my buddies in the house or go wondering off on my own. I will have a new Guy Allan Hughes with me between the 4th and 8th who is in the US on business but has stolen off those days so he can fly fish Stripers for the first time. He is just a tad excited. I can't wait to see his face when he hooks his first Blue Fish. Most of us Brits like them. Well someone has to love these toothy critters.
That's it in a nutshell, we will fish our usual 12 to 15 hour days and fit in sleeping and eating around it as best we can. We have to make the most of our 14 days.
Hope to see some of you around.

Mike

Warren
05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I can't wait to see his face when he hooks his first Blue Fish. Most of us Brits like them. Well someone has to love these toothy critters.
Mike

Now wait just a minute Mr. Oliver, not all of us Yanks are opposed to catching Bluefish? I for one am one of those Odd Yanks that love catching bluefish, They fight good, eat fairly good and they even bite back, now who cannot help but appreciate that? Of course maybe it is my English lineage that makes me the " Odd Yank" :hihi:

Mike Oliver
05-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Warren,

Lineage has a lot to answer for. Nice to know at least some like these Gamesters of a fish. A USA surf Virgin friend of mine a Lawyer ( There is justice after all) was happily thumbing Stripers until the moment he lost his concentration and thumbed a Blue fish. Never knew Lawyers could yell so loud or bleed so bad.
I hear you have an exceptional run of Blues this year. I have got plenty of American wire with me. LOL. Essex Alan hates them. Only Brit who does.

Mike

Mike Oliver
05-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Warren,

Lineage has a lot to answer for. Nice to know at least some like these Gamesters of a fish. A USA surf Virgin friend of mine a Lawyer ( There is justice after all) was happily thumbing Stripers until the moment he lost his concentration and thumbed a Blue fish. Never knew Lawyers could yell so loud or bleed so bad.
I hear you have an exceptional run of Blues this year. I have got plenty of American wire with me. LOL. Essex Alan hates them. Only Brit who does.

Mike

essexalan
05-31-2008, 06:15 AM
Mike, I love the scrap they put up and their bully boy nature but when you get to unhook them....Their eyes seem to be following your fingers just waiting for an opportunity. Saw a few hospital cases last year so nice long pliers are one of my essentials. Most of them chew the fly off anyway and takes from stripers seemed to dry up if you put wire on. 50lb fluoro seemed to be one answer and the long range release is the other one. Yeah I guess you could call it a love/hate relationship :hihi:

See you there Matey!

Alan

striblue
05-31-2008, 08:08 AM
I look forward to seeing you guys. I will be down after June 8 as that is my daughter graduation from HS. But it will be weekends plus a day or two on either side. I will talk with Juro and Jim Simms about scheduling some rip trips during the period of your stay.

Alun
05-31-2008, 10:23 AM
My theory is that the blue fish is the fisy equivalent of the good old english bulldog.

Just booked flight for 14th june through til 22nd, so will miss you again Mike!

flydoc
05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Bluefish= trout with teeth, ON STEROIDS
Love to catch and eat 'em- drag them up on shore, hold their head in place with one foot, then grab their lower jaw with my Boga Grip knock-off before using hemostat clamp to remove the fly. Then either release 'em OR cut the throat/bleed them dry/gut 'em, ice 'em, fillet 'em, marinate 'em, broil 'em, eat 'em.
Flydoc

Mike Oliver
05-31-2008, 02:39 PM
I look forward to seeing you guys. I will be down after June 8 as that is my daughter graduation from HS. But it will be weekends plus a day or two on either side. I will talk with Juro and Jim Simms about scheduling some rip trips during the period of your stay.

John,

I would really appreciate the opportunity to to do a Rip Trip having read about them here. I don't yet have a cell phone that is affordable for use in the USA. I plan to buy a pay as you go model when I arrive. That way I can give Jim a call and see what the situation is. My UK sim card means international calls at mobile rates which are ruinous.

Mike

Mike Oliver
05-31-2008, 02:41 PM
My theory is that the blue fish is the fisy equivalent of the good old english bulldog.

Just booked flight for 14th june through til 22nd, so will miss you again Mike!

Alun,

I don't leave until the 16th so might manage a cast after all with you. You can call me on my home phone befeore 1.30pm tommorow. I will PM you the number.

Mike