Memorial Day Reports? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Memorial Day Reports?

juro
05-26-2008, 10:14 PM
I got tied up and did not get to the shore this weekend. Sea surface temps shot up like a rocket.

Reports?

doogue
05-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I was up at 4 AM this morning and I hit the road soon thereafter. As I bombed across Route 101 in NH I made the decision to forego Hampton Harbor (perhaps a little early as of yet) and head to the mouth of the Merrimack.

I pulled into the parking lot at Joppa well before 6 AM. Full. No big deal...I do not really like fishing Joppa from my kayak anyway. I drove towards Plum Island and launched at a not so secret and not so overly fished locale.

Then the fun began. On my first cast of 2008 I managed to:

1. Hook a very fiesty, 20" + schoolie

2. Snag the line that I stripped out of the water on some sort of strange and stout underwater structure

3. Watch the bottom of my rod sink to the bottom of the ocean as I grabbed the rod up high and landed the schoolie (while fighting the drag on my boat in the current and making sure that my snagged fly line did not need a quick slice to keep me safe). In the end, the line was still in one piece after I released the schoolie so I recovered my rod and reel. It was sort of hilarious really.

After this event that confirmed what I already know (I hate fly fishing from the yak, although I like spin fishing from the yak) I beached the yak and walked the estuaries while hooking up fairly regularly.

Final tally, numerous strikes and 8-10 decent, fiesty schoolies. I fished a Sedotti Slammer all morning and that fly has such awesome action in the water. Clousers could not compete. I tried the experiment in one rip and the clousers got nada and the Slammer slammed. And the 7" slammer kept the micros at bay and kept them safe and full lipped.

All in all a great day and home before 11 AM.

Tight lines,

Mike

FredA
05-27-2008, 06:03 AM
I did the pack mule thing most of the weekend but did manage to get to the cape for some am fishing yesterday. From reports, I didn't miss much and yesterday was a disappointment. Started right off with several missed strikes, then nothing. I was fishing the troughs out with the tide waiting for the push but it never materiallized. I blamed it on the brigade of a dozen ff'ers that marched out east of me and stood in the troughs to there armpits flailing:razz:.

Sean Juan
05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Juro,

Fishing the Bayside the best news is that the clouds of 2" sandeels are out and about, grass shrimp are heavy in the cord grass - caught a few keepers and a lot of mircos - nothing in between, no bluefish.

The southside has bunker thick in Stage - but no stripers or blues that I could tell and the only things bothering the bunker had feathers.

Not too much further west - found masses of glass minnows in the South facing creeks, blues out stripers in, and the biggest stripers are still a good ways up in the creeks - but that could be that I fish them nights.

So the bait seems to be getting its act together.

striblue
05-27-2008, 09:22 AM
FishHawk , Paul C., and I fished South beach on Saturday, both outside and inside....Poloreyes and Paxton were over there with us but we split up. The outside was dead and we caught a couple each on the inside walking back to the pickup at 3 pm. I caught just one other on the outside at the high 1/2 hour before the pick up.... It was like the current stock market....hopefullly no where to go but up from here on. We did see fish breaking on the outside and birds, but to far off shore for us and only an isolated boat offshore in the distance..... boat traffic was very light on both sides all day.

Splake
05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Saturday morning in Cotuit was very slow. Two spots. Two hours at each. Two small ones. Tried to fish Scortons last evening. Too much wind for me. Moved up inside by the old game farm and was able to hook one up (almost 24") before the Celts game .

Gseries69
05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
We fished Cotuit in the evenings and did well Sat and Sun on bass. Blues were all over the sound Fri.

Guernseybass
05-27-2008, 12:02 PM
I fished 3 spots in chatham on Saturday and skunked in all three.

I never saw a fish apart from some unmolested bunker.

visibility was perfect and nothing doing.

Sunday I had 15/16 schoolies in a 2 hour session in a local harbor, and my first ever shad of about 3lb.

I saw lots of bait and not a fisherman anywhere. :lildevl:

I also had two big ones go after my schoolies again - two weeks in a row.

I did hear of a 28LB fish taken from the rocks nearby, and similar numbers of schoolies being caught up an along the S Shore.

the fish are up here in big numbers, why they are not on the South Side remains a mystery.

juro
05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Makes sense IMHO...

If you follow the sea temps (NOAA) the cold temp barrier to the outside has been holding in the 40's until lately, and the southway closure creates a 18 mile detour.

Once the Chesapeake Bay temps are conducive to spawning, the run begins shortly afterward.

The canal has been heating up right behind Buttermilk bay this spring and the bayside corner as well as north end of the Plymouth area has been in the high 50's for a while.

Fish typically have shot up the coast in May and appear around Joppa in May.

Based on the big picture, I often wondered why we don't hear more from the south shore guys in spring whereas the fall action is always big news there.

Reading up on scientists following baitfish depletion, they key on ocean temps for spring arrival. Soon the refuge will serve as it's usual biomass trap, many may recall when the sand eels and silversides arrive so do the masses.

BTW - I've been tracking the bunker thing for a few years with hopes of zoning in on the 40# on the fly and would bet good money that daytime observation of adult bunker in that area is usually not any indication of the real situation in fact quite the contrary. Those big bunker get nailed at night by submarine against a moonlit sky, which we've had a lot of lately. The swimmer plug guys would shoot me for saying more...

JimW
05-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Plymouth has fish - I went out to see if the boat might give me another year and most everything worked OK. Took a few casts with the LT and was rewarded with a 31" as my first fish of the year. I tried casting the fly for a few minutes but on the open water it was just too windy to be fun. Sunday we went for Macks live lining produced a nice 41" fish which I kept for the grill. Hopefully fish number 3 will be a 51":D If the macks stick around another week and the temps come up I'm hoping for the bait and switch on a 10wt. I don't know what the water temp was but just fished where it felt warmer when I stuck my hand over the side.

Quentin
05-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Plymouth has fish - . . . I don't know what the water temp was but just fished where it felt warmer when I stuck my hand over the side.

The old-school digital thermometer :hihi:

Glad you're getting some big fish up there :cool: .

Q

Sean Juan
05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Juro,

I agree with your theory, but just want to know your opinion of the larger fish that are around the Bay and the Southside.

My theory is that - for the most part - they are fish that were already here. It's common knowledge that smaller fish winter on Cape, but I believe that a larger-than-we-know segment of the population do as well. I've caught some pretty big fish off-season, my biggest having been caught in Feb when I was fishing for pickerel (hey winters suck on Cape.)

I suspose they could just be individuals or something...

juro
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
It's no longer early.

But those big fish around earlier IMHO are the spring herring eaters who run the canal and are on the Stony Brook (and adjacent) herring runs. You'll also see the few and the exceptionally large on the south side around Parkers, Herring etc. as well. In fact we did on Clave Saturday.

You can find huge fish right at the creek on rte 28 north of Chatham in that little mud puddle and waaay up the Herring Run in a stream barely 10 feet wide. I saw a fish of nearly 40# caught up past mid-cape hwy on a south side stream when I was a teen. It was in perfect shape unlike holdovers which are icky (covered with ick parasites).

Herring eaters are caught in early May every year on the bayside by liveliners in the know. They are bright, fat and beautiful. Keep in mind it takes a bit of protein to keep them going so winter on the cape is a poor time for large fish to be sitting in black-bottomed creeks to avoid freezing to death.

Not all are coming from as far as Chesapeake Bay I agree but the bulk of the atlantic population is according to biologists and who am I to argue.

bonefishmon
05-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Great fishing down in my neck of the woods over the past week. Fish are dropping out of three local rivers. Some are fresh ocean arrivals. The Shadhole is starting to dance!

Phil